Shipping from China to Europe with EMS or DHL?
Mar 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

8140david

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering buying some hifi gear (an amplifier and such) directly from China, importing it to Europe (for my personal use).
I am wondering what shipping company to use.

The seller mentioned EMS and DHL.
Do you have experience with these companies? Are both reasonably safe?

Also, the seller mentioned that with EMS, sometimes the buyer does not pay taxes. I inferred that with DHL, the buyer ALWAYS pay taxes, while with EMS it is more random. Is that correct?

I'd be happy if some of you have some experiences to share when buying from China and using EMS, DHL, or something else, concerning the questions above (safety & taxes).

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the seller mentioned that with EMS, sometimes the buyer does not pay taxes. I inferred that with DHL, the buyer ALWAYS pay taxes, while with EMS it is more random. Is that correct?

This is certainly true over here in Portugal, and even when they decide to tax it (EMS) (and most big items they do), it is cheaper than the alternatives (DHL, UPS, TNT and all other private companies). DHL will charge 100% of the time, nothing escapes.

Those private companies charge brokerage fee's that are outrageous, to the tune of 50-60Euros just to handle the paperwork to release the item from customs... by EMS that costs about 6-10 Euros... big difference. And remember that on top of this you have the possible taxes and duties.

When sent by EMS the delivery is made by the national mailing services, and I prefer this to the private companies because I can pick up my item in my local mailing station, when not at home to receive it, the private companies would have me schedule another delivery day or something like that, and their usually not available to do so when I like (later in the day).

I have no real complaints about DHL except the fees they charge to handle the customs stuff, but all private companies do charge "big numbers" for this over here, when receiving stuff sent from inside the EU I have no problems using DHL, UPS and most others.

From outside the EU, EMS/National services, always.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMS all the way, DHL's service has always been subpar (understatement) for me regardless of whether it's been international or domestic.

x2

Mar 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks all for your answers!

Do some other people have other experiences or advice to share when shipping with EMS or DHL? (See first post)

Mar 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 18
Also got my Darkvoice with EMS from China. No issues at all.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 18
I would worry less about the carrier than buying direct from China. Imagine that "it" arrives, you plug it in and it does not work. What then? This is not that uncommon a scenario. I hope it is small and doesn't cost much.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 18
Give a go to EMS, the price is quite fair.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would worry less about the carrier than buying direct from China. Imagine that "it" arrives, you plug it in and it does not work. What then? This is not that uncommon a scenario. I hope it is small and doesn't cost much.

Bro, no offense, but you should never buy from internet.....

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 18
Go for EMS, worked good for me.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure, this is always a risk. But how risky this is also depends on where you are buying your stuff. I think the OP is mainly talking about getting things from Audio-gd. A company that has proved that nothing leaves their factory without at least a 100 hours of burn-in and testing. Things may still go wrong and even if you don't want to sent your order back, Audio-gd will still help you every step of the way to get it functioning again.
Quite a different situation from ordering a piece of equipment of vague origin from some Chinese ebay seller.

Audio-gd shill signing off.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back