Shipping from Canada to US, is it OK now?
Dec 23, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #16 of 26
Heh Aerius has worked at customs, I think he would know...

Biggie.

Dec 23, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
When I first started buying and selling on Head-Fi I found shipping to and from the US for the most part quite fast. I did quite a bit of back and forth with JMT in California at the time and it was pretty much 5 business days every time. I even got a package from New York in 2 days. I guess maybe I was just lucky because it's sure not like that anymore.

I have found New York and California to be generally fast as well. But those are about the only fast shipping states. New York I understand since I'm only a few hours away anyways, but California I don't know.

Biggie.

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I have found New York and California to be generally fast as well. But those are about the only fast shipping states. New York I understand since I'm only a few hours away anyways, but California I don't know.

Biggie.

It seems odd that I would get things from California so quickly seeing as I'm on the other side of the continent, but then Canada Post/USPS doesn't seem to make a lot of sense I guess.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 26
On duties. Yes they still exist for some goods, and you will get hit with them on top of the normal taxes. For instance, if you ordered a spring from the US and declared it as an auto part, it gets hit with duties on top of taxes, declare it as an industrial machine part and it just gets hit with PST & GST. Don't ask me why, I'll be the first to tell you these rules are beyond dumb, and that we have a reference text about the size of a phonebook with all the duties rules. I also admit I use the words "duties" and "taxes" interchangeably when referring to the fees a person incures when shipping stuff across the border.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
My audiocubes order for MDR-EX81s took a great deal longer than previous orders (two weeks). I am not sure if this was due to the strike or just shipping from Japan (or China).

Which strike are you referring to? The one mentioned here was Canada Customs and should not effect you if you live in New York as your location says.

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Your statements are somewhat misinformed themselves. There is no duty on most items manufactured in the US and Mexico so an item imported into Canada from the US which is manufactured outside the US may still be subject to duties.

All the items I ship to Canada are used items, either from the Buyer/Seller forum here or eBay. There is zero duty on used items, regardless of the country of origin. People are mistaken when they think they're being assessed duties. It's just local and federal tax.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 26
Way to admit you were wrong. :p

Biggie.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Way to admit you were wrong. :p

I'm not stupid. Of course I know there are duties assessed on new goods coming from other countries in cases where no value add is performed in the US (or Mexico, as the NAFTA provisions slowly come into effect). What I was saying was that most people I send stuff to think there are duties on goods coming to them, and there aren't. That people working for Canada customs keep using the term "duty" to describe these charges doesn't help a whole lot. It's just a crooked way of doing business in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back