Shipping Damage : USPS : What are my options
Jun 11, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #46 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
How anyone can blame the packaging for what happened is just ridiculous. That box was mangled. You can pack something as well as you want and if someone does something stupid and runs it over with a truck, forklift or whatever, it's going to get damaged. Why people find it necessary to blame Guru for the packing is beyond me. Should it have been insured, of course. I don't think he needs it rubbed in his face. He asked for help not criticism.

Hear Hear! I cant believe the extent to which that box is mangled! To fault the packaging on this is utter ********. A service that delivers stuff is SUPPOSED to deliver stuff without damaging it! That's implicit in offering the service. You can't fault GS for not going to the extreme with packaging. I mean, looking at that damage, the only way they would have survived the experience they've been put through is if the headphones were suspended in a goo solution inside a titanium capsule!

Screw you USPS. They've lost one of my amps too. I'm out money for that.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #48 of 138
I wonder if insurance would allow the seller that shipped my transformers to claim his money. USPS could just argue that his box failed and he should be glad they at least repacked one of the transformers.

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #49 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Thaddy, did a postal employee actually hand you the package or was it left on your doorstep? If they handed it to you, what did they say?

I was at work when the package was delivered. My mom was here when it arrived, but I'm not sure what was said about the packages condition. Still though, how can you deliver a box that was mangled and open like that?

I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow when I go to the post office.

Jun 11, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #50 of 138
I received one mangled package from USPS and they wrapped it together with a rubber band :p

another was a priority box doused with red ink from Todd vinyl for my flat pads, and USPS conveniently labeled it with, "received in this condition."

though for something that expensive, I wouldve gotten insurance. Good thing everything Ive mailed out was light weight stuff, if you send out a big box I would assume USPS leaves it at the bottom of the stack of packages so its likely hood of it arriving damaged is higher. if it has a bit of weight to it, forget about it, their gonna throw that thing at the bottom of the barrel in transit.

Stamping "Fragile" all over the box and "Do Not Crush" helps too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry about your loss man. maybe UPS should be your next deliverer for expensive items, as I believe they offer free tracking and free insurance with their ground shipping. Though UPS is pretty bad at shipping too. Holiday Christmas time is pretty much a guarantee of mangled packages with all the rush deliveries they have to send.

But let us know if they resolve your problem.

looks like it fell out the back of a truck and accidentally run over.

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #51 of 138
It probably got snagged on a belt. When I worked at UPS I saw packages like that all the time. They tell you to stick as much back in the box as you can and tape it up.

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #52 of 138
that was what I thought, but for the metal bands to tear? thats a bit more then a snag.

gsferrari, I hope the best for you, hopefully with enough complaining you can get something worked out, talk to the post master at the office personally and dont bother arguing on those USPS drones.

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:17 AM Post #53 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
that was what I thought, but for the metal bands to tear? thats a bit more then a snag.

I can tell you've never worked at a UPS hub. A snag in certain areas could crush someone, and you use a heavy metal pole to break them up, preferably from a meter or two away.

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #55 of 138
There is no way a two-ply box would hold up to what crushed that box. No amount of peanuts would've held up either.

There is a reasonable expectation for USPS to not crush a package like that. It is not reasonable to expect to customers to crate small packages.

However, without insurance, you are pretty much up crap creek. Where's the paddle? Crap, the Postal service broke it.

Yeah, me thinks FedEx will be having my business more often now. Despite their tardiness lately....

Good luck with dealing with the USPS, Guru, but with dealing with any government institution......ugh.....

-Ed

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #56 of 138
Dang !! Did the USPS guys change their policy or what? I remember that Priority Mail packages are insured for $100 by default. Not that it would have helped in this issue.. but no amount of bubble wrap and peanuts would have saved this package from that kind of abuse, unless he shipped those cans in a wooden crate made out of 2x4s and braced with steel to withstand the crushing !!

It looks more like it got crushed on the conveyer belt as someone suggested earlier. The part of the box that appears torn might have caught something on the conveyer belt and must have gotten mangled behind other heavy packages.

The only solution I can think of is to just go and argue with the post master in a logical way, and make him realize that no amount of packing would have saved the package from such an abuse. If he doesn't see your point, I'd suggest telling him you'd be forced to take them to the small claims court. Not a pleasant solution, but without any insurance there is simply no other alternative.

May be you could claim that $200 insurance for internet shipments if it covers your case, and use that money to get the phones repaired.

Sorry Guru.. I know this was not the best time for this to happen to you.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #57 of 138
I'm not to familar with the law governing the USPS. However, I did a very modest amount of research and it seems that US Government, and therefore the USPS, still retains sovereign immunity for negligence "arising out of the loss, miscarriage, or negligent transmission of letters or postal matter. . ." 28 U.S.C. s. 2680(b).

If this is correct, you can't successfully sue the USPS for damaging the package.
frown.gif

The general rule is that you can't sue the government unless they explicitly say that you can.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #58 of 138
Thaddy,

When you take the parcel to the USPS office, clearly state in a nice manner that you believe that this parcel wasn’t damaged under normal transit conditions, and it was opened like this, and that your mother accepted the box in this state, not knowing what to do in this situation.

Also tell them that you wouldn’t have accepted delivery of the box in this condition, if you had been home at the time.

Tell them that you believe that this damaged was caused by accident by USPS themselves, outside of normal transit conditions, and you would like them to investigate this, and compensate you with a brand new replacement pair of headphones.

If they ask why there's no Insurance on an expensive pair of headphones, tell them that Guru, sent someone else to post this parcel, and they genuinly forgot to include insurance.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #59 of 138
You guys should be hearing an update from me soon, I'm going to be heading to the post office within the next hour or so. I'd like to PM Guru with the details first though
tongue.gif

And Harty, thanks for that advice!

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #60 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
You guys should be hearing an update from me soon, I'm going to be heading to the post office within the next hour or so. I'd like to PM Guru with the details first though
tongue.gif

And Harty, thanks for that advice!

You're Welcome mate.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back