Shiny new AKG K701’s
Nov 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

sithompson

100+ Head-Fier
Well I’ve had my AKG for a day or two now and I like them (don’t get me wrong), but they do sound so different to my MS1’s and it’s quite an eye opener to someone who, until a few months ago thought headphones were just for your MP3 player (humble apologies about that).

I was very impressed with the packaging and the little message printed inside the flaps as you open it. Nice touch. I like the little try they sit in – didn’t know about this so it was nice surprise. I love the looks and the way the drive enclosures connect to the headband.

The MS1’s (with HD414 reversed pads) seem to have really sharp highs and crisp bass – everything is thrown at me with vigour. The music snaps along with a lively pace. The K701’s are smooth and the music washes over me, nothing is forced and everything is presented equally, nothing seems exaggerated. And they are more comfortable. They offer a completely different sound and it’s great to listen to. I’m going to keep them long term (no worriers about that) and also see if this “burn in” makes any changes to them. But, and I don’t know why, if I had to pick one, it would be the Grados… Lets see in a month or so if I still feel the same.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Sounds like you have a lot of fun with your new K701, enjoy
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do they perform with your various amps/unamped (compared to the MS1s)?

I've not really tried them unamped (yet) as the output on the Arcam is well, err, to be polite, lacking.

I have to turn up the volume on the Little Dot (they are 60 odd ohms compared to the MS1 32ohms). The amp, while nice, needs a bit more puff I think. I've got a highly modified BTEC BT928 amp that I've just set them running through it and instantly they are LOT different, much more punch. I don't like this amp with the MS1's - way too bright.

I don't know how much people know about the BTEC; its a cheap amp based around a single op-amp. I've ripped the guts out after finding a great online tutorial and its a very nice, cheap amp (now that the tune control has gone). It got the better of my much more expensive Creek OBH-11 and Pro-Ject Headbox Mk2 - both of which I've sold.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

So you're saying the K701 doesn't do well with your amps?

Yeah, they seem to need a good amp and the Little Dot is a bit weak but for the cost it is one fine amp

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 21
Try not to make an opinion yet. It took me a year to understand what they were. Now I have 2 pairs.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Ugh, looks like my next upgrade is going to cost me quite a bit then.

I seem to recall you were waiting for some MS1's - have they arrived? I take it you've got a Little Dot 1+ as well?

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seem to recall you were waiting for some MS1's - have they arrived? I take it you've got a Little Dot 1+ as well?

I'm surprised you remember that. I'm not quite sure what kind of amp I should buy, I'm leaning towards Nuforce Icon/Icon Mobile at the moment.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try not to make an opinion yet. It took me a year to understand what they were.

Thanks. From what I've read this seems to be the view of just about everyone.

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

I'm surprised you remember that.

I can't remember the door code for work, but I remember some random discussion on a forum. That's the price I pay!

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't remember the door code for work, but I remember some random discussion on a forum. That's the price I pay!

Amazing, the human mind.

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 21
A back up pair because for what you can get them for on the used market they are a deal. I want another pair as back-up if one pair goes bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back