Shining - Grindstone (for fans of weird, experimental, and really cool stuff)...
May 16, 2007 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been listening to this one for a while now, and it definitely seems like an early candidate for #1 of 2007.

Described loosely as a mix of The Mars Volta, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Slayer, Shining's Grindstone is a bizarre and abstract melting pot of frantic jazz-rock progressions, twisted synthesizers, searing rhythmic acrobatics, processed and alien-sounding vocals (though it's mostly instrumental), soaring crescendos, indecipherable walls of sound, ethereal ambience, weirdo classical, and an air of constant change and striking dynamics.

Off the wall, active, energetic, cerebral, and bordering on abrasive at times... Grindstone should appeal to fans of stuff like Ruins and Koenjihyakkei as much as to fans of Estradasphere, Dog Fashion Disco, Bubblemath, Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses, and Stolen Babies.

Check it out.

May 16, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Fantastic band, although i have not heard their latest, going on what i have already heard, it should be awesome. Sounds like they have started to experiment a bit more too, they have always had a tendency to be slightly innovative, but they always had the filthy sound of black metal and raw doom as a major part of their sound.
Ill pick this up today purely on the back of their older stuff. For fans of extreme metal, and ill say it again, awesome band.

edit; Wierd, i cant find anything about this album, are we thinking of the same band?
http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/disco...ndname=Shining

edit2; yep definitely different bands, ill see if i can hear this one though, seems interesting enough! asmox, you should check out the other shining!

May 16, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Hahaha... yeah the Shining I'm talking about has nothing to do with the black metal Shining. I'm not much of a black metal fan anyway, but I might look into it.

You should like this Shining though, considering how in love with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back