Shiit Jotunheim/Dac vs Audeze Deckard for LCD-2f?
May 3, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #16 of 23
Any update on this comparison?

Sorry, I'll have to try and get to that in the next few days. I've been busy building Balanced cables for all my headphones. I also have a Venture Electronics RA 2.0B coming soon, so I may end up selling the Deckard.

May 4, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #17 of 23
That is a very nice inventory to go alongside the LCD2 you have there.

At this point, I am pretty decided to get the mojo as soon as my Toxic cables arrives. I can't believe I still haven't picked anything up months after I bought the LCD2, but I am decided that I want to be able to use the LCD2 outside of my desk as well, and Mojo seems to be the best portable solution out there. Maybe in the future I will end up getting something like the Deckard for the extra power, but I am not there yet. I am super excited about the replacement cable and Mojo though.

May 4, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #18 of 23
That is a very nice inventory to go alongside the LCD2 you have there.

At this point, I am pretty decided to get the mojo as soon as my Toxic cables arrives. I can't believe I still haven't picked anything up months after I bought the LCD2, but I am decided that I want to be able to use the LCD2 outside of my desk as well, and Mojo seems to be the best portable solution out there. Maybe in the future I will end up getting something like the Deckard for the extra power, but I am not there yet. I am super excited about the replacement cable and Mojo though.

Mojo is a great device. I need to purchase an Anker PowerBank, as I would like to leave it connected all the time, but I have a "charge whine" on mine. That is a little annoying (2nd Mojo to do it, but first was much louder). Anyhoo. The Mojo can power the LCD-2F quite nicely. Tho, I have since sold off the LCD-2F. I've picked up higher end earbuds for mobility (as well as a Fiio X5iii). I will be looking towards an LCD-3, Ether C Flow or possibly HD800/s for mid to end of summer/fall timeframe.

@Povell42
So, my impressions will be with the VE Zen 2.0 earbud to help decide which sounds better, the Deckard or Jotunheim for amp only purpose. The Zen 2.0 is a 320Ω earbud, so theoretically should be a little harder to drive than the LCD-2F. I also will only use the SE output to make it fair.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #19 of 23
Ok, possibly too early to tell... but this is my take "so far".

Devices in use:
- Fiio X5iii Line-Out into Splitter w/3.5mm cables going to the Jotunheim and Deckard.
- Venture Electronic's Zen 2.0 Balanced into DIY Balanced to 6.5mm SE adapter

Music - multiple genres...

Shape up so far...
Jotunheim - Slightly cleaner presentation, more linear. Flatter sound.
Deckard - a bit more colored, but still good presentation, more of a "u" type of shape. Vocal sound more fun on Deckard.

May 4, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 23
Update: It all depends on what your preference is. The Deckard is definitely warmer, the Jotunheim more linear and analytical. If you are just looking for a good amp with features, I would highly suggest the Jotunheim over the Deckard. Now, this is with the VE Zen 2.0 @ 320Ω. I do not know if the LCD-2F would sound different with the amps and my preference would change, as I have not used the LCD-2F on the Jot. I actually sold it while my Jot was in the mail, so... take all of this with a grain of salt.

The one thing I can say, the features and price point is all in favor of the Jot... heavily tilted so.

May 8, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 23
Update: It all depends on what your preference is. The Deckard is definitely warmer, the Jotunheim more linear and analytical. If you are just looking for a good amp with features, I would highly suggest the Jotunheim over the Deckard. Now, this is with the VE Zen 2.0 @ 320Ω. I do not know if the LCD-2F would sound different with the amps and my preference would change, as I have not used the LCD-2F on the Jot. I actually sold it while my Jot was in the mail, so... take all of this with a grain of salt.

The one thing I can say, the features and price point is all in favor of the Jot... heavily tilted so.

Thanks for the update!

May 8, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #22 of 23
I got the Deckard this weekend and compared it with my current options.

I could tell a difference in the Deckard's DAC compared to the Fulla 2. The Deckard DAC seemed to be a little brighter and tighter than the Fulla 2. It seemed to mostly cure my complaint of some songs sounded a little congested in comparison to the Fulla 2.

I could not tell a real difference between the Deckard and the Sound Blaster X7 DACs. They shared the same signature and improvements to the Fulla 2.

However.... I compared the AMP in the Deckard to my AUNE X7s and I could not tell a difference. I used the pre-out of the Deckard into my Aune and volume matched them. A/B-ing the two with the 1/4 inch connection, the Aune amp did reflect the Deckards DAC without any changes to my ear.

When I swapped to the Balanced output on the AUNE X7s with the Deckards amp it seemed to be even better then the Deckard's output.

So...I believe the best route for me is to get a better DAC and use my Aune X7s amp instead of the Deckard.

One other very weird thing that happened with the Deckard. After having it on for about 8 hours, it suddenly just lost it's power. By this i mean the sound went very quite. I turned it to high gain, and volume all the way up and it was still very soft in sound. It even did this from the Pre-out. My Aune had to be turned all the way up with the Deckard volume all the way up...and it was still soft.

I checked the connections, turned it off and disconnected the power.... it would still do it. About 24 hours later, it was working properly again?

It is enough of a concern that I would probably return it either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back