Shiit amplifier for HD650
Mar 3, 2012 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jinior

New Head-Fier
I have decided to buy a Headphone Amp and I'm looking to the shiit amplifiers right now. I was wondering if the more expensive ones sound better or is it just a matter of personal preference? The price doesn't matter much as my father will buy it for me as a birthday present (still cheaper would be better). I have no experience regarding amplifiers and would like some advice on wich one is best for me. as I have little to no experience I don't know if I prefer solid state or Tubes however I do like a warm sound signature.
I mainly listen to classical, pop and some choir music from time to time (don't know what genre that is) 
I use a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's wich are currently plugged directly into my computer's on-board sound card.

I hope you guys can give me some advice,
Thanks in advance!

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I listened to all three with stock tubes last month at the Bay Area Head-Fi meetup with my HD650.  I liked them all, but the Valhalla was my clear favorite of the three.

(I was tempted to buy one, but then read up about the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade and decided to go in that direction -- still waiting for it to arrive.)

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 5
I just liked the sound of it the most... it sounded more full and musical to my ears.  Read the full review of all three at http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/1.html ... reading it, it sounded pretty accurate based on my (admittedly quick) impression of the three.

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 5
IMO, the asgard is the best pairing with the HD650. You can just order it and try it out. If you don't like it, return it and get a Valhalla or Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back