Shift from loudspeaker based system to headphone based system listening as primary HiFi???
Jun 17, 2009 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Synergist969

100+ Head-Fier
To whom it may concern:

HELP! Due to these splendid economic times, I am seriously considering a "paradigm shift". Potentiates ease of mobility if/when necessary...lol...

Over the course of the last 5 to 15 years, I have built two relativley high quality loudspeaker based audio reproduction systems: (Details available upon request)

(1) An Audio/Video 7.1 surround system, digital/analog receiver plus high quality main and surround speakers,

(2) A rather high quality all separate component dedicated stereo analog based system, (except for the signal source CD player), complete with electronic analog x-over, monitors and subwoofer pairs...

I would like to seriously consider replacing all of that equipment, (except for the sound sources and or a pre-amplifier or two, with a headphone based system, that at least matches the quality of the sound I now enjoy on my current loudspeaker based systems.

What headphone as well as headphone amplifier might you recommend to replace a roughly $10,000.00+ dedicated analog stereo system? What if both my girlfriend and I both wished to listen together at the same time?
( I currently own an older(10+ yr.) HeadRoom mobile(travelor?) headphone amp and a pair of HD 650's) How about the HD 800's, would they match-up well volume-wise driven by a dual output amp? Have you a favorite digital to analog converter? Digital signal source?

What surround-sound headphone/headphone amp system would you recommend to replace my roughly $7,000.00+ Audio/Video system, such that I and or both of us could enjoy viewing movies together using headphones?
How about a stand-alone digital surround-sound processor using our prefered cans?

For casual if not High-End listening around the home, what wireless headphones, closed and or open backed designs would you recommend, attemping to prioritize the highest fidelity possible?

Thank you for your advice, recommendations, etc., we look forward to your responses!

Sincerely,
Synergist969

P.S. The system cost inclusion was in no way an attempt to impress(not that it should)...but simply an attempt to suggest the relative/general level sound quality to which we have become accustomed, and would hope to at least approximate with headphone based systems.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 8
In my experience there is no substitute. By all means build a quality, dedicated headphone set-up but keep the speaker rig; you will miss it. I love my headphone set-up but prefer my speaker system, especially when I want a large, palpable, physical sound, something that headphones can't reproduce.

Jun 17, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 8
For movies, there is absolutely no way youll be happy with anything related to headphones. Period. If you need to sell your equipment and start fresh, I'd suggest simply going for a new, budget-oriented surround sound. You can spend $3000 on a very nice receiver with 5.1 speakers of reasonable quality. The surround sound + subwoofer experience is something youll miss dearly

Jun 17, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 8
What about a Smyth Research Realiser with a good amp and headphones?

Smyth Research

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #6 of 8
To whom it may concern:

Thank you all for your assistance, advice...the Smyth Research Realizer sounds like a perfect solution...except for about $3,000.00 reasons...and one for my girlfriend too(!)...lol...

Actually, I do tend to salivate while considering that little box...it seems a perfect solution, and hopefully the price will come down to a "reasonable" level...read, "more affordable to me"...would love to try it out with a pair of HD 800's, I imagine that combination would eclipse the stax can combo...and I am not crazy about buying a pair of phones if I already have a decent pair or two...

Sincerely,
Synergist

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 8
A well done 7.1 and 2.0 system with room treatments absolutely crushes all headphone builds at any price. I've only spent in the $2k range of a headphone rig and its LOL in comparison to a 2 channel for music.

I think a lot of small room/WAF/apartment people are in here and will tell you different...but its just not the case.

I enjoy my headphone rig at work, home, and on the road...but its a far 2nd place to a dedicated room.

Mobile rig - ipod 32g with lossless and custom fitted IEMs imho - dont do the portable amp/dac thing

Headphone rigs like my deskside one are certainly not mobile - power conditioning, 2 power cables, assorted interconnects, dac, amp, headphones - all of which dont need to be crushed while being portable. Its more portable than a 7.1 rig (heh) but I wouldnt say its portable. I think taking a nice deskside rig on a trip is asking for damage.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 8
Tis funny but true reading threads like this on a dedicated headphone forum. Makes me rethink my very few headphone-related purchases
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back