(shielded vs non) RCA's
Sep 29, 2008 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

brown274

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to make some (3.5 to RCA) and some (RCA-RCA). Do I need to use the shielded cable like quad star or would HGA solid copper wire work just as good?

If shielding is a must, then should the shield be connected to the RCA ground point or just cut off at the wire clasp.

I have studied this forum about how to make cables and I pretty much know how to make most of them, I just don't understand if people are shielding the cables or not. The RCA's will be next to my LCD monitors

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 7
If these will be next to monitors, shielded is probably wise over twisted pair. And yes, the shield needs to be connected to ground at at least one end, or it won't shield anything...

Many people (and commercial cables) use what is called a telescoping shield, where the shield is connected at the source end only. This makes a directional cable (one end with the shield connected should go to the source component).

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 7
I m about to build some RCA to RCA too, and I d like to be sure that I understood what Pars means

If using shielded, 2 wires cables, one should the "signal pin" of the RCA jack to one wire, and the "ground pin" of the RCA jack to the other wire AND to the shielding, but only connect the shielding from one side of the cable?

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I m about to build some RCA to RCA too, and I d like to be sure that I understood what Pars means

If using shielded, 2 wires cables, one should the "signal pin" of the RCA jack to one wire, and the "ground pin" of the RCA jack to the other wire AND to the shielding, but only connect the shielding from one side of the cable?

Yes. That would be what is meant by a telescoping shield. You could also connect the shield to both ends. If the shield is copper, you could use it as the negative conductor as well instead of a second conductor, although that is less rarely done.

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 7
well, I had asked if what you described (using the shield as the negative connector) was possible here :

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4665805-post705.html

and was told that yes, it was possible, but not really recommended. both the conductor and the shielding are OFC copper.

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 7
As I said, most people do not use the shield as a conductor. Also, many cables use steel shielding, which is looked down on from a sonic perspective. Try it with your cable and see how it sounds... and if you can tell a difference between that and 2 wires plus shield.

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 7
will do! ^^

thanks for your answers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back