Shielded Cables, Silver Dragon V2
May 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JwangSDC

100+ Head-Fier
I have a question. My Silver Dragon V2 interconnects are shielded but when they come across my Iron Lung Jellyfish powercord there is still static that can be heard.

Now here's the problem. I just went to radio shack and bought $8 "shielded cables" just to mess around. To my surprise, these cables provide NO static even when placed directly on the powercord.

Uhm....can anyone answer this?

May 24, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm not familiar with the Silver Dragons. Is the shield on these telescoping? Is the shield grounded only at one end?

The Radio Shack cables probably have a full 360 degree shield (mylar or foil + braid) grounded at both ends. This is more effective at shielding from ESD and EMI than a telescoping shield. The downside is that it adds capacitance to the cable and is a little less effective at shielding RFI, which is why the Silver Dragons may not use this method.

Even double shielded and fully shielded cables are not completely impervious to ESD and/or EMI.

Without being familiar with the construction of any these cables, this is just a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back