Sherlock Holmes
May 30, 2007 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Lectorcito

100+ Head-Fier
Do you like Sherlock Holmes and have 10 bucks? If so, check out this amazing deal: The Complete Novels

I own that edition and it is impressive. True, it is big and heavy, not the kind of book you bring along when traveling. But that's the only fault I can find.

Why is it so cheap? No one reads Sherlock Holmes anymore?
confused.gif

May 30, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lectorcito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you like Sherlock Holmes and have 10 bucks? If so, check out this amazing deal: The Complete Novels

I own that edition and it is impressive. True, it is big and heavy, not the kind of book you bring along when traveling. But that's the only fault I can find.

Why is it so cheap? No one reads Sherlock Holmes anymore?
confused.gif

I don't know, but I just ordered it. Annotated - nice.

Thanks!

May 30, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 7
My edition is even bigger
icon10.gif
I recieved a printing that was both the annotated novels and short stories when I was a kid. So the only other Sherlock Holmes I'd ever have to buy is the modern day interpretations...such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Execution-Sher...0490826&sr=1-6

May 30, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Ok. I got it. This book is so cheap because people couldn't care less about Sherlock Holmes.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, but I just ordered it. Annotated - nice.

I hope you like this edition as much as I do. Enjoy!

May 30, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 7
One of the local TV stations here in the DC area is showing episodes of Sherlock Holmes made in the 70s in the USSR. Sherlock Holmes in Russian is very strange.

May 30, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Why not do better and get all of the Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories for $14?

Volume I

They don't seem to have Volume II. It's a good print of the books though there is the occasional typo. It looks like Barnes and Noble also publishes their own compilation of all the books. The books are cheap because there are no royalties to pay. You can get most of the great classic novels for dirt cheap compared to books that still payout royalties. My Bantam volumes say that the copyrights were last renewed in the 50's and 40's so they may have ended. In contrast, the Lord of the Rings still has an active copyright with the Tolkien estate so you do not see the entire trilogy being sold dirt cheap.

May 30, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not do better and get all of the Sherlock Holmes novels and short stories for $14?

Because that's not doing better.

The book I linked is a hardcover edition that comes in a beautiful box. It has a large number of wonderful ilustrations and period photos, the paper is of high quality, the annotations are placed alongside the text for easy reference (and the notes are actually interesting: the editor assumes that Sherlock Holmes was an historic figure
icon10.gif
). I mean, this book is a beautiful object, and it's only 10 bucks. If you just want to read Sherlock Holmes for cheap or don't care about the beauty of books, just go to a library or buy the Barnes & Noble edition. But the Barnes & Noble edition and this one are not in the same league.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back