Shelling universal IEM to CIEM
Apr 6, 2019 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Guppy_

100+ Head-Fier
Hi head fi,

Ive long preferred neutral sound, I went from HiFI RE2, to RE0, to etymotic mc-3, to ER4pt in IEM and on cans went from sennheiser to oppo pm3, to Mr. Speakers Aeon flow Closed.

Currently I used the ER4pt at work, but truth be told, putting them in taking them out is slightly a hassle and getting a proper seal. I read somewhere here, that sleeving/shelling would improve comfort.

So far ive found https://www.sensaphonics.com and found:
1. Costco has an audiologist that does molds for $50, would these work?
2. Sleeving/shelling of the ER4pt $150
3. shipping and handling $15-20
Total $220ish?

am I better off keeping the ER4pt as is and just seek CIEM with the same sound signature (base on the above price? )

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Do note that the Etymotic iem is designed in that particular shape with the nozzle size for a deep insertion. Changing it to a custom (which is also a deep insert) might still change the sound a bit and nobody will know for the better or for the worse because that depends on the shape of your ear and how the driver will be positioned in the new shell. Might be better off looking at something else that has a similar sound signature that's easier to put on

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Do note that the Etymotic iem is designed in that particular shape with the nozzle size for a deep insertion. Changing it to a custom (which is also a deep insert) might still change the sound a bit and nobody will know for the better or for the worse because that depends on the shape of your ear and how the driver will be positioned in the new shell. Might be better off looking at something else that has a similar sound signature that's easier to put on
I was afraid of that, but man, similar sounding CIEMs are crazy expensive.

Googling I found an alternative that might be custom eartips, any thought on that?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 7
What about those universal iem but with an over-ear cable? There's some brands where their shell looks "custom"-ish but with a universal nozzle that requires a tip and sits nicely in the ear. Maybe just get a deep insert tip like the Etymotic triple flange tip so you get a similar seal.

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 7
What about those universal iem but with an over-ear cable? There's some brands where their shell looks "custom"-ish but with a universal nozzle that requires a tip and sits nicely in the ear. Maybe just get a deep insert tip like the Etymotic triple flange tip so you get a similar seal.
Think ill try to find a custom eartip vendor, eg. not re-shelling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back