Shed some light on the Remote Control (In-Line Microphones) standard on types of devices: Apple, Nokia, Android
May 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BangOn

Head-Fier
Okay. So I am thinking on listening audio books on a smartphone (or maybe it can be a dumbphone too!) but I am not committed to any of them yet. Remote control is crucial so I can seek rewind and forward in tracks.

I only want to shed some light on the formats of data the various devices use, namely:

- Apple (iPhone and iPod Touch)
- Nokia
- Android devices such as:
  - Sony Ericsson
  - Samsung
  - HTC
  - Motorola

The question is if there is a common format for the remote controls all these use or are they different? Especially if I want to buy a third party In-Line Microphone set which is of course better.

May 4, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 15
They are all different. Though I've read that some android phones can use iphone's single-button control, there are also some samsung android phones that have different pinouts that make everything sound muffled. Most headphone/control/mic combo you find on the market are for iphone. Iphone also had some 3-buttons control that has dedicated rewind and fast forward buttons.

May 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 15
Meelec has a list of devices that *should* work with standard iPhone-compatible headsets on their site. They also sell a TRRS adapter that switches the ground pin around for some Nokia and Samsung devices, which are notorious for having a different pinout than the iPhone.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
Meelec has a list of devices that *should* work with standard iPhone-compatible headsets on their site. They also sell a TRRS adapter that switches the ground pin around for some Nokia and Samsung devices, which are notorious for having a different pinout than the iPhone.

Bump.

Any updates on the remote control headset issue for non-Apple devices? So basically I want the same function as Apple's remote control (fast forward and rewind, to listen to audio books) but on a non-Apple phone: it can be a Nokia, Android, Windows, dumbphone, what have you.

Thanks!

The above Meelac post was updated a ling time ago.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Bump.

Any updates on the remote control headset issue for non-Apple devices? So basically I want the same function as Apple's remote control (fast forward and rewind, to listen to audio books) but on a non-Apple phone: it can be a Nokia, Android, Windows, dumbphone, what have you.

Thanks!

The above Meelac post was updated a ling time ago.

Using this now with my HTC Android phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.jays.headsetcontrol&hl=en

Have all the functionality with all of my headsets. The volume up/down buttons on Apple remotes still don't work but the functionality can be mapped to different sequences of the main button. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Using this now with my HTC Android phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.jays.headsetcontrol&hl=en

Have all the functionality with all of my headsets. The volume up/down buttons on Apple remotes still don't work but the functionality can be mapped to different sequences of the main button. 

Thanks.

Do you have to use a one-buttoned JAYS headset with this? Maybe the Sony will do the trick: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1545#post_8992783

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
Thanks.

Do you have to use a one-buttoned JAYS headset with this? 

No. There is no difference between a Jays 1-button remote and any other Apple-compatible 1-button remote. I currently use a UE600vi for phone calls which has a 3-button remote and that works just as well (the two extra buttons do nothing on my HTC).

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
No. There is no difference between a Jays 1-button remote and any other Apple-compatible 1-button remote. I currently use a UE600vi for phone calls which has a 3-button remote and that works just as well (the two extra buttons do nothing on my HTC).

But does pressing the button twice or three times add fast forward and rewind capabilities? Like hte iPhone remote, see here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1545#post_8992783
Thanks.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
But does pressing the button twice or three times add fast forward and rewind capabilities? Like hte iPhone remote, see here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1545#post_8992783
Thanks.

If you read the description of the app and look at the screenshots, you'll see that it does. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Seeking isn't 100% compatible with all devices.  If it is, it's normally a double-click hold to seek forward or triple-click hold to seek backward.  If it doesn't work, your device doesn't support it (software issue through your manufacturer).  Single click is play/pause/answer/hang up, double click is next, triple click is previous, single click hold is to do voice control (if supported).  

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Klipsch sells a pair of S4s with the built in controls for android phones as well. 

I use Jays Headset App to get the 1-Button cable for my V-MODAs to work with my HTC EVO Shift 4g. The app has an advanced mode where you can program what does what with the controls. For me 1 click = Play/Pause, 2 Clicks = Song forward, 3 Clicks = Song back, 1 Click and hold = Volume up, 2 Clicks and hold = Volume Down.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I use Jays Headset App to get the 1-Button cable for my V-MODAs to work with my HTC EVO Shift 4g. The app has an advanced mode where you can program what does what with the controls. For me 1 click = Play/Pause, 2 Clicks = Song forward, 3 Clicks = Song back, 1 Click and hold = Volume up, 2 Clicks and hold = Volume Down.

Thanks!

Actually very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back