She Wants Revenge
Dec 7, 2005 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chrisfromalbany

Headphoneus Supremus
Post what you think..

Summary...
Make no mistake, She Wants Revenge is an album that will demand space in any Joy Division, New Order, Interpol, or Peter Murphy fans collection. The stark, neo-gothic sound might not break any new territory, but the band has chosen the territory they are comfortable with, and the exploit the crap out of it.

SWR_CDfront_myspace.jpg

Current single is "Out of Control" & "Sister"
Can get demo from different P-P sites.

With her high heels against the wall/kind of dancing though not at all/she had stockings running up to her thigh/snaps her fingers to keep the time.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 16
link for listening please
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 16
http://www.shewantsrevenge.com/betrayal_idx.html

if you have access to one of these bad peer-to-peer softwares may be able to download a version of "out of control". I heard it on the radio first.

Sample lyrics..

Most of the tracks seem to feature dangerous, distracted women with an illicit sexuality. "These Things" features this inimitable chorus hook:

"I heard it's cold out, /
But her popsicle melts, /
She's in the bathroom, /
She pleasures herself, /
Says I'm a bad man, /
She's locking me out, /
It's because of these things.

051018_she_wants_revenge.jpg

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 16
mad.gif
Something wrong with my sound card at work, I'll have to get back to you on this one

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
http://www.shewantsrevenge.com/betrayal_idx.html

if you have access to one of these bad peer-to-peer softwares may be able to download a version of "out of control". I heard it on the radio first.

Only listening to the 30 sec clips on itunes, I have to agree with most of the reviews I read there that the band is very much like Interpol (which means it has that heavy Joy Division influence). It sounds good, probably not as good as Interpol, but, as some one pointed out: "...this album lacks the hooks I need. The music in most of the songs starts out great, but never really builds into anything worthwhile."

I just recently got into Interpol, and, after reading in this forum, picked up the Editors as well (also Interpol-esque), so I probably wouldn't get much from this band right now.

Dec 13, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 16
"Out of Control" details the nightclub misadventures of a woman in high heels and stockings. "Monologue" enters the world of S&M, and contains my favorite new lyric: "Just give me the safe word and take my hand, / And smack me in the mouth my love." "Someone Must Get Hurt" could give The Killers a run for their money in the field of catchy 80s dance-pop -- and that is, as you might imagine, a mixed blessing. The facility with which they can summon a seemingly endless number of minor-key, melancholy hooks is simply spooky.

Dec 14, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #8 of 16
Anything is better than Teh Killars lawlz.

I don't especially care for them.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 16
I find it odd that Joy Division is always brought up as the big influence on Interpol. I'd put them at #4 or #5 on the lists of bands that Interpol borrowed from.

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 16
so one one has hear the album? Think it is worth a try..

Jan 26, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 16
I think this snippet of a review from Popmatters says it best:

She Wants Revenge are either the greatest tribute band in the history of music, or the biggest pranksters since Spinal Tap. The impression is so dead-on, I can't help thinking that it might have been intended as something of a prank: if two DJs can replicate such a distinctive sound with such precision on a whim, what does that say about bands who devote their entire careers to following so slavishly in the footsteps of others?

http://www.popmatters.com/music/revi...e-st2005.shtml

After hearing the song "Tear you Apart" on the radio a few times in the past week, I had to do some research.. yes, a couple of LA DJ's get together and throw down some neo-80's vibes.. sort of like,.. "oh yea Interpol? you think YOU sound like Joy Division?? hahah"

I'm very curious to hear what the rest of the album sounds like.

-jar

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 16
I've listened to She Wants Revenge a couple of times on Rhapsody partly because they are pushing the crap out of it. It is constantly a featured album and interviews or other features are pushed as well. Talk about payola. That said, I think it is a pretty good album. Work listening isn't exactly critical, but I liked it OK. Haven't gone out and bought it, but maybe I will give it another listen when I am at home.

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 16
I am "torn" about this album. There is not an original sound on the entire album but when it works like on "tear you apart" its a great interpol single. The local college station is playing a live version of it which hits even harder

They definitely show interpol and Joy division influences. I also hear some gang of four and peter murphy in there too.

Solid B- docked mainly for lack of originality

Jan 28, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 16
I checked out the single a couple of months ago, and I thought it was pretty good for a first effort. Aside from the guy's voice, I don't think it sounds like Interpol at all.

The voice thing is strange though, because he must be trying really hard to sound like that. The lead singer is the same guy who rapped on "Bug Powder Dust" many years ago. Compare the two and you would never know it's the same guy.

Jan 28, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #15 of 16
Wow what interesting timing. My sister just came back from Sundance and got hooked up with a pile of promo CDs that I've never heard of, but this was one of them-

IMG_00015.JPG

The promo was called "These Things."
The 2 tunes on here that I liked, out of the 4-track promo, were

These Things (Radio Edit)3:17
Tear You Apart4:45

Definitely Joy Division/Interpol-ish, good stuff. Like listening to Camoflauge and thinking "It sorta sounds like Depeche Mode" hehe. The other two, Spend the Night and Black Liner Run, weren't my bag, but they were catchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back