Sharp MD33: Sound quality seems very volume dependant
Mar 10, 2005 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else find the Sound Quality of the Sharp MD33 canalphones to be very volume dependant?

A month or so ago I got a set of Sharp MD33 canalphones. These were to replace my old Sony EX71 phones that I use for cycling to work. I enjoyed the Sony's but was always dissappointed with the severe treble roll off. I could live with the boomy single note bass and the comfort was very good.

Anyhow, the Sharp's arrived and I swapped over. First few rides I didn't feel "overwhelmed", although I did like the extra treble. In fact I was underwhelmed for some time. I noticed only a few days ago that I was really enjoying the music however. What had changed?

Well, normally I ride with the volume pretty low (about a third of the volume available from a 3G ipod). Lately, I'd been bumping up the volume a bit on the remote. Unconsciously I think. But when I looked I noticed the volume was up, but so was the sound quality. These little cans sparkle quite a bit more with just a bit more volume.

Further analysis showed that just one or two clicks up on the ipod remote volume control makes a real SQ difference. And not too loud for riding the bike in traffic.... great! I'm much happier with the Sharps now that I was a month ago.

Pity Etymotics doesn't make a canalphone with the same low isolation you get with the Sony EX71 and the Sharp MD33 style rubber/plastic canalphone. Etys definitely don't loose anything as the volume goes down!

TonyAAA

Mar 10, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 6
maybe it is the source not the md33?

i am quite satisfied with mine, even at lowest volumes, although they are not the best, that is clear, but much better than the sonys anyhow.

Mar 10, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 6
I had the same problem, until I swapped the medium bud with the large bud. I get great SQ from the MD33 using 5/30 or 6/30 (volume) on my Zen Xtra.

The bass and lower mids were boosted greatly as well.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the tip phyrefly, I'll try different sized seals and see how I go.

And the ipod 3G source drives my etys beautifully - Oluv are you suggesting some sort of dis-synergy with the Sharp's?

Bear in mind the Sharp's are not bad at all to me at moderate listening levels, I just feel they drop SQ quite a bit when on softer levels. Still my favourites for cycling.

TonyAAA

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Oluv are you suggesting some sort of dis-synergy with the Sharp's?
TonyAAA

i cannot say exactly. but i have problems with the headphone output from my notebook and the sharps. they get quite a shrill sound with little bass.
driven by my iaudio M3 they sound much fuller and the treble is also a bit more controlled.
with most of my other headphones the sound difference is not that obvious. only with the sony ex71, where it was even more pronounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back