Sharp MD33 - isolating or not?
Jun 27, 2005 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ImMersion

100+ Head-Fier
Do the sharps (or the new creatives for that matter) isolate from outside noise or reduce it? Im getting tired of hearing other songs or noise in the background when im at the gym/library/school/etc etc.

Thx

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 13
I've used the MD33s, HJE50s, EX70, EX71, EX51, EX81
and they all use basically the same type of silicon tip.

They isolate/reduce very, very little by themselves. However in my experience if you're in a pretty quiet room such as in a library, fairly soft music is enough to drown out most of your surroundings. If you're in a noisy place, you'll need high volume and/or loud type music.

-Basically, they'll depend on music to drown things out.

--

I think the Sharps would do just fine for library use.

Jun 27, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 13
Anything besides the Shures to drown out outside noise?

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 13
When properly sealed; I can still have a conversation, and hear some sounds around me.

Having said that, I find that they genuinely attenuate some noise.

Even without music, the difference in noise levels on the bus is quite noticable.

With music... well, you can hear everything [in the music] very well, all of the details - even on a noisy bus - whereas w/ no-isolating buds you hear mush mixed with the surrounding noise.

Edited: to clarify expression -- Verdict: md33 reasonable isolation.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 13
Hmm, I think they isolate just about the right amount, drowns of the noise and chatter on the bus to the extent that I can only hear that there's some noise, not what it is. It's easy not to think about that noise too.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
"death to America."

Steady, fella....

I find the 33's isolate just fine when I use mine on the subway. The noise of the car doesn't bother me at all if the volume of the music is at a reasonable level. For a library, they'll be perfect.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
Steady, fella....

I find the 33's isolate just fine when I use mine on the subway. The noise of the car doesn't bother me at all if the volume of the music is at a reasonable level. For a library, they'll be perfect.

which is all you need, don't be conned into buying the latest and most expensive headphone on the block. Kudos to you, and by the way Death to America.

Jun 27, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 13
as with all the other comments so far:

they dont isolate fully, infact no where near. If i have no music playing, and have them in, i can hear a fair bit, its just toned down in loudness. I guess you could liken it to having the door to your room open and closed. With it closed, you still hear sounds, but they are more muffled and quieter.

When i have music playing, i think even at a quiet volume, most outside noises disappear unless they are very loud. eg: when in the tube, i can still hear rail/wheels grinding, however its much more muted.

In summary, for me they isolate almost the perfect amount, with music playing at a low volume, its enough that you wont hear everyday background noise, however you will still hear something like a car horn or someone screaming.

Jun 27, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tezzla
When i have music playing, i think even at a quiet volume, most outside noises disappear unless they are very loud. eg: when in the tube, i can still hear rail/wheels grinding, however its much more muted.

nice comparison, I agree with that!

I think it's just the right amount of noise-isolation, at least in not extremely loud environment.

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 13
any other suggestions for an isolating (non canceling) earphone?

Shures are too ugly and pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back