Sharp HP-MD90B
Jun 17, 2004 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

visia

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone has any experience with Sharp HP-MD90B from Audiocubes?

Jun 17, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Bump. ANyone has any ideas on these? HP-MD33s are quite good for the price.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 7
I had a pair of these, then sold them off on eBay (lucky guy won it for like $25
biggrin.gif
). Since then I've gotten other phones, so my impression is vague and won't be in very precise terms.

If you insist on comparing it strictly based on cost/performance (I'm not saying you shouldn't, but the two don't have to be tied together so tightly that anyone with $100 who doesn't buy the SR60 is a sin), you're better off buying something else (CM7/Ti, E888... there are many options). I can't say without reservation that are exactly $145 earbuds.

On the good side, I remember these as very un-exaggerating earbuds. No single part of the spectrum catches you right away, but over time I found them to offer plenty of details. They're non-fatiguing without resorting to a hollow or dull sound. In other words, definitely two or three steps up from the likes of the MX500 (or Sharpheisers).

Some people think these and the B&O A8 are clones, I think they sound different. The MD90 is also much less comfortable because of the thick "ear hangers," far less adjustable and harder to adjust too (the joints for the "ear hangers" are very stiff) - evil for a pair of phones that must be carefully fitted before you can appreciate it.

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi Leon,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Was it difficult to wear these or ones you got used to them, they seemed fine? How did they compare to A8 (I am considering these two right now) or which ones would you choose?

Jun 17, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Hello visia,
I didn't have the MD90s long enough to say whether it'll loosen up with time. It's definitely possible, but I haven't got any proof
biggrin.gif
I think my A8s have loosened up, it's 6 months old now.

I sold the MD90 before I got the A8 so I didn't compare them side by side. I bought the MD33 when I bought the MD90, though, and still quite enjoy it.

Jun 17, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi Leon,
Thanks a lot for the info. So, as far as I understand you went with A8's and MD33s and I guess I am gearing towards that set up as well. A8s are available on Ebay for about 110- nowadays and as far as I understand are pretty decent sound-wise (on par with good earbuds) and must be really good comfort-wise and look-wise.

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Visia,
B&O have made changes to the A8 over time. I read that early owners often found the Y-cable splitting where the 2 cables separate, and that was changed. My pair's got a Y-shaped plastic piece holding the cables in place. I agree with other Head-Fiers' assessment that they may have changed/improved the sound too.

These are really comfortable earbuds
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back