Sharp HP-MD33S: odd cable?
Jul 14, 2005 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jacobweber

New Head-Fier
Thanks to the helpful advice on this forum, I just bought the Sharp MD33 earphones from AudioCubes, and I'm very happy with them. But since I must find something to complain about...

The headphones' plug is an unusual one, with an extra ring around the sleeve (three instead of two). This seems to indicate that there's an extra conductor for some reason. Anyway, if you plug it directly into a normal stereo headphone socket, the conductors don't all line up, and you only hear audio out of one ear. The included extension cable converts this plug to a normal stereo plug, but it's pretty long.

So - is this some sort of standard plug that I'm unaware of? Would I be able to find a smaller adapter to convert it to a normal stereo plug?

Thanks,
Jacob

Jul 14, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 14
Its called a "four-pole" connector, and is made for Sharp's line of MD players IIRC. The extension converts it to a regular connector.

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 14
if its what sony does with some headphones, then the extension piece is a good length by itself, but the original is too short by itself.
confused.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 14
People solder the extra ring, connecting the 2 sections, thus making it a 3 pole connector. i'll try find the thred

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #8 of 14
Jul 14, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #9 of 14
jacobweber, if you want to get rid of the annoying cable, go for the Creative-version of the MD33s, named EP-630. it has a normal stereo-plug and the cable length should also be perfectly fine.

and FYI, the EP630 don't have this "behind-the-neck" cable design.

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by loco26
jacobweber, if you want to get rid of the annoying cable, go for the Creative-version of the MD33s, named EP-630. it has a normal stereo-plug and the cable length should also be perfectly fine.

and FYI, the EP630 don't have this "behind-the-neck" cable design.

Damn, wish I'd known about the Creative version before I got the sharps. The stupid cable design plus the stupidly long extention. Maybe I'll cut down the extention and make it a couple feet shorter.

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stinn
The stupid cable design

Well, to say it's a "stupid" design is a little harsh. It was designed for a specific purpose as clearly stated on Audiocubes web page...

J

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, I wish I had know about this (and about the Creative) before I bought it. Now the question is, do I trust my soldering skills enough to try to fix it myself?

Still, I'm very happy with the 'phones....they seem to be the perfect balance between price, sound quality, and comfort.

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
Well, to say it's a "stupid" design is a little harsh. It was designed for a specific purpose as clearly stated on Audiocubes web page...

J

I didn't mean the 4pole system, I knew about that before hand and I'm fine with that, I mean the short left plug wire long right plug wire thing. I know it's supposed to be for behind your head but that just doesn't work on me.
It's not a big problem and stupid might have been harsh. It's just an annoyance, I really do like the phones. I find them to be a "fun" contrast to my 555s.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stinn
I didn't mean the 4pole system,

Oh OK, my bad, I thought you meant the 4 poles...

Sorry !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back