Sharp DR7 Help
Apr 18, 2003 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dreambrother

New Head-Fier
I just purcahsed a DR7 and I was wondering what the best source would be to start recording. The only PCDP I have is the Iriver SlimX. Would the SlimX be sufficient enough to make a good source for the Sharp?

This may be a dumb question, but if I start recording with or without EQ settings on my SlimX, would the song sound the same on the Sharp? Hopefully that was clear
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Analog recording from your SlimX will work. A better way is to find a source with optical (Toslink) output then your DR7 will be able to record digitally. PCDPs such as Panasonic SL-CT790 are equiped with such output jack.

Most people would turn off any EQ on the source for recording so that an "unmodified" version is recorded.

Apr 18, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugo
PCDPs such as Panasonic SL-CT790 are equiped with such output jack.

be carefull there, thats not the same in all countries. if you're in Europe, you'd better check, cause we tend to not get optical outs from Panasonic. I don't recall the 790 coming with one.

but in any case, optical is the way to go, more convenient and the sound is cleaner. top-of-the-line Sony portable CDPs tend come with em. if it's just for recording, I'd suggest looking into a modest shelf CDP with an optical output.

and analog source is always a good alternative, but I suggest keeping all EQ's flat (your MD might just sound better on playback without EQ than your SlimX, and you can allways add a bit of bass...). and try and find something with a true line-out. you can record from a headphone out, but that would be a major sacrifice in soundquality.

Apr 23, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreambrother
What about the EQ on my MD. Does that effect the recording at all, or is the source only effecting the sound?

I believe the EQ on the MD only affects playback, not recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back