Sharp DR7 and Ety 4 P?
Apr 26, 2003 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bogo2

Head-Fier
I have the sharp DR7 with the Ety 4-P. Is it better to use the Output converson cable ( 4-pole to 3-pole ölug converson ) `?

The ety has only 3 pole. But with this converson cable the output is noch loud enough!

Or ist here possible to make theEty 3pole cable to a 4 pole?

Thanks

PS: In Europe the Sharp DR7 is calls DR470H! Its the same.

Apr 26, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm not familiar with the Ety cable, but I am familiar with how the output works for the DR7 (differential output). To take full advantage of the 4 pole out you must be able to fully seperate the ground lines to each headphone speaker. So instead of 3 lines (L, R, and GND where GND is common to both speakers) you'll have 4: L+, L-, R+, and R-. This is because their will be signals on those former ground lines -- they must be kept seperate or it won't work. All this then has to be fixed to the 4 pole plug.
Differential mode works by applying signal to both sides of your load (speaker). This allows you to get 4 times the power out (!) vs regular single-ended outputs. It also allows for the removal of the output blocking caps typically used on the outputs of headphone amps in consumer products since both sides of the speaker should be at the same bias point, effectively cancelling each other's bias out. This gives improved bass response as well.
I'd maybe buy another 4-pole headphone set for modification use. The advantages are significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back