Sharp digital integrated amp discussion - would you buy one?
Mar 16, 2004 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

soundboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever since the Sharp digital integrated amp came out, I have been very interested. However, the price was too much for me. After the positive review of one by analog meister Michael Fremer, I was thinking Sharp is definitely onto something.

Anyway, there's a discussion over at the Hong Kong website review33.com about Sharp's entry into high-end audio. Well, I was surprised at the generally negative responses about Sharp. Seems like people there only associated Sharp with microwave oven and the likes. And more importantly, what would others think if they find out I have a Sharp amp??!! The horrors!!

Here's a quote from one of the posters....

Quote:

Reality is people would buy stuff based on brand images and past experience. Like I do; of all my hifi purchases, I never audition them. I buy them based on listening experience in a hifi show or from reputable magazines (like Hifi choice/Stereophile but never from HK).

Toyota has Lexus, Teac has Esoteric, Harmon group has JBL, Revel, Mark levinson, Crown, all under the same group. Would I pay mega bucks for a Sharp - even if sounds mighty good - probably not, even I am not a fool.

What do you think?

Mar 16, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 15
I own two Sharp integrateds (the SD-SH111 and the SD-SG11) but I'm not using either of them at the moment. Picked them up at really serious sale prices. They're nice little units for the heavily discounted price, but I wouldn't pay more than $300 for either. They have good tone but the bass is mushy even on really easy to drive speakers, and the dynamics just aren't there.

Sharp also has some higher end digital amps. They could be a totally different story, so I would caution against extrapolating from my experience. However, also keep in mind that in the $1000+ price range, they're competing with low end offerings from the serious heavy hitters (Bryston, etc.). As far as I know, digital amp technology just isn't there yet to give you the kind of distortion numbers you get from a Bryston (<0.01% THD), nor the insane bass slam. (The difference between 0.08% THD, fairly typical for a digital amp, and 0.01% might not seem like a big deal, until you convert that into decibels: that's 18dB of difference, definitely audible.)

Mar 16, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 15
As with all things, I would like to try before I buy or have a trial period. I am not really a follower of specs and brand name.

Digital amps sound different. It depends if you can get used to it if you're coming from regular solid state or tubes.

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Ever since the Sharp digital integrated amp came out, I have been very interested. However, the price was too much for me. After the positive review of one by analog meister Michael Fremer, I was thinking Sharp is definitely onto something.

Anyway, there's a discussion over at the Hong Kong website review33.com about Sharp's entry into high-end audio. Well, I was surprised at the generally negative responses about Sharp. Seems like people there only associated Sharp with microwave oven and the likes. And more importantly, what would others think if they find out I have a Sharp amp??!! The horrors!!

Here's a quote from one of the posters....

What do you think?

The man's a raving lunatic. Of all the asinine comments I've heard this one takes the friggin' bakery. Which madhouse this loony escape from.
Auditioning music systems is essential in choosing what you want. nonetheless....
I'd like to point out that at least 3 people on headfi have the semi-flagship Sharp SM-SX1 integrated amp and are very pleased with it. Theaudiohobby has one and in his opinion it compares very favorably in a direct comparison with a KRell and some other equally high-end gear. I got one of these for $212.50 (despite its retail of $4499) from a Sharp Factory Closeout NIB with full factory warranty.

Mar 17, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

I got one of these for $212.50 (despite its retail of $4499) from a Sharp Factory Closeout NIB with full factory warranty.

Fainted
eek.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 15
You have no business fainting. I put out a great buy alert at the time over here when they were selling for $149. By the time I bought mine they were at $212.50 and eventually were going for about $300. Nobody at headfi bit. In fact few people pay any attention to what I say, I'm surprised that you even responded to my post.
plainface.gif

Wodgy,
My sharp digital amp has a rated THD of < 0.02% with a S/N separation of 100dB. I don't know how that playes into your argument about the relative performance of these amps. One big advantage of the Sharp over, say a Bryston, is the unique DSD BNC digital input that they have for some digital sources. For a purist that is about as clean as it gets. In fact in theaudiohobby's rig the Sharp Amp-SACD combo has supplanted his Sony SCD-1 as his SACD reference.

Mar 17, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 15
Like I said, I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate my experience with the lower end models that I have to yours. I do like the tone of the units I have, but I also think Sharp's original price of $1500 for the SD-SH111 was ludicrous compared to other gear out there in terms of quality (it later dropped to ~$700, then ~$500, then ~$180 when I picked it up). I did recommend the SD-SG11 to a friend when they were selling for $130. That was a good deal. Everything's relative. (As an amp alone (without the integrated tuner and CD player), the $150 Pioneer A-35R easily bests the SD-SG11.) Once you pass the magic $1000 mark, the competition is fierce, but I think that's quite positive. Lots to choose from. I wouldn't hesitate to audition a Sharp amp in that price range, but that also wouldn't stop me from auditioning its competitors too.

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 15
I own a Sharp amplifier and I have one on the way, I can safely say that if a Sharp SM SX200 appeared on the market at a competitive prices that is about USD2000 - USD3000. I will be all over it. Sharp may have made a mistake by not branding their digital amplifiers with some exotic name but that does not distract from their quality. The SM SX1 that I and Kartik own is an excellent sounding amplifier that will see off many a tube/SS analog amplifier at it's price point. I have compared it directly against some of the current market leading amplifiers at least up to USD5000. I can see some folks being upset about the brand, however those were probably the same folks that turned nose up at the Honda(Acura) NSX which when it was released a couple years ago, even it was a much better car than the equivalent Ferrari at the time.

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 15
I have a SG11, which I picked up for $130. I have to say, the headphone out is nothing to write home about, good balance, nice seperation, OK soundstage (nothing to write home about...), but where it is really lacking is that it does not have any bass at all...

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
As far as I know, digital amp technology just isn't there yet to give you the kind of distortion numbers you get from a Bryston (<0.01% THD), nor the insane bass slam. (The difference between 0.08% THD, fairly typical for a digital amp, and 0.01% might not seem like a big deal, until you convert that into decibels: that's 18dB of difference, definitely audible.)

I think you need to beg Sharp to lend you an SMSX200. I personally think that the bass slam of the Sharp is second to none. Bass is one of the areas where the high-end Sharps runs rings around the competition. The only thing that I heard gives such superb bass definition and slam is the B&O Beolab 1 active speakers. and ever since I got the Sharp amplifier, I have lost my desire for the Beolabs. Seriously, a dream combo will be Sharp SM SX200 married to a Soundlab A-1, pure musical bliss at an affordable price .
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Is the SM-SX200 (or even the 100) available anywhere? I hopw noone buys them. Then the dummies at SFO will dump them on ebay for people like me, theaudiohobby and Xanadu777 to buy. Then we will use these amps to take over the world and you will all bow to us. In place of a Dark Lord, you will have a Light Triumvirate. All shall hear our amps and despair!

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 15
I have finally acquired a Sharp SM SX100 and it is awesome sounding, to me anyway this is one of the best sounding Integrated amplifiers at any price.

18.jpg

Mar 10, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 15
Sweet, congrats!

Where did you ever find it and how does it compare to the SM-SX1... Curious how much you had to give under original retail (MSRP of $15,000 wasn't it?).

Cheers...

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Sweet, congrats!

Where did you ever find it and how does it compare to the SM-SX1... Curious how much you had to give under original retail (MSRP of $15,000 wasn't it?).

Cheers...

Well the greatest impression it leaves on me with my speakers is much greater refinement and effortlessness, it is almost as if it is dismissive of the music. In back to back comparisons using the same sources, it is much more refined and smooth, it makes the SM SX1 sound a bit grainy which I hasten add it is not. I do not think anyone can have listener fatigue with this one even at high volumes, it is that good. I got it for just over 1/5th of the MSRP, which is a screaming bargain.

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Sweet, congrats!

Cheers...

Thanks xanadu777,

How are you doing? it been a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back