Sharing your IEMS: A germaphobe nightmare
Oct 23, 2007 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bunninator

Head-Fier
I've often found myself in situations where I tell people how awesome my IEMS are... and somewhere along the line the price gets mentioned. Needless to say the person automatically takes the stance of "There's no way they can be worth that much." (see: are people freaked out when they find out the price of your headphones? thread)

My first and most natural instict is to say OH YES THEY ARE! Then hand them over for a demo listen. Then I imagine a putrid yellow mass of wax in their ears and change my mind. I'm sure that given a listen these people could be converted but NO! Further still... then I'd have to explain to them how to get a proper seal.

If they were over the ear style headphones... anything that isn't shoved into your ear canal I would be fine sharing my headphones. I used to do this all the time before IEMs.

Does anyone else feel as I do? I suppose I could wipe them down before and after with cotton swab dipped in alcohol but that's not really practical. I've found that other people aren't nearly as bothered to using them after they've been in MY ears as I am after they've been in their ears.

Why do us IEM listeners have such a gross hobby?

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonereaction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get some customs, and your problem is solved!..
Seriously though, maybe bring along some spare tips to use only for other people. =)

Why I'm getting Livewires...

I can just picture the conversation:
Friend: "Your headphones cost how much?!?"
Me: "Yea..."
Friend: "Can I try them?"
Me: "Well, they're custom molded..."

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 14
That would be far to expensive and really... it doesn't happen THAT often.

I WANT to be able to share the awesomeness of high end IEMs with people who don't know any better than the stock apple earphones. I just can't bring myself to do it without being severely grossed the heck out!

Oct 23, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Ever since I saw my friend pull my Shure E2cs out of his ear, and leave sticky goodness on them, I never share my IEMs, ever.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 14
I tell them about my price, and when they want to try it, I flatly refuse. And even if I'm offered some IEM's to try out, I refuse.

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 14
Friends don't let friends share IEMs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 14
Yeah, no way I'd let anyone stick my IEMs in their ears, not even family.
I'd probably let them if I had spare tips, which they'd then have to clean and remove for me.

You don't share toothbrushes do you?
biggrin.gif

Solution? Don't tell them squat. Not what they are, how much they cost, nuthin.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 14
Yes I find it disgusting thinking about my IEMs going into someone else's ears...
eek.gif
I frequently flush and q-tip my ears clean because I always use my Etys. Knowing that others don't do the same, and then using my IEMs makes me feel like they're being violated.

Though I want some of my friends to experience the greatness of my setup, I don't want to deal with the aftermath of their meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back