sharing iem's
May 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RonWilson

New Head-Fier
I know you can't catch sexually transmitted diseases by inserting in ear monitors but, it seems unsanitary to put someone elses iem's into your own ears.  In the past, I have shared my over the ear headphones with friends to get their impression but, is there a way to swap iem's.  I suppose that head lice could be transmitted with over the ears headphones but, iem's seem to be even more messy.  Does anyone use sani-wipes?

May 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 3
OK, this is one way to share IEMs...  Don't let the other person use your ear tips.  Get a spare pair for them.  If they find the right size, then they can get an even better impression too! Clean the eartips using an alcohol solution before letting someone else use them.  Also check the nozzle for any ear wax...  If there is earwax, clean it off before and after sharing...  This is the best way to do it, but it can still spread ear infections.

Also note, any disease that can be spread by skin to skin contact can be spread through IEMs.  Scabies (an STD), head lice, rashes (some, not all), ear infections are all able to be spread through IEM sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back