Sharing a memory with you all :)
Oct 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 27
Great, great story. Thank you for sharing. Really awesome stuff. I love my Grado SR225s, also my gateway to open back headphones.
happy_face1.gif

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 27
A grado was my first headphone, though I wasn't nearly as enamoured... but that's probably because I paid almost double since they're so bloody expensive outside the US.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #18 of 27
I'm gonna go give mine a big hug now! I think i read a similar story on this headphone site i came across and how the guy fell in love with Grado.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #19 of 27
My first headphone was an Alessandro Grado--the old MS1. It happened during an internship too, though the person who introduced them to me wasn't my boss, it was Jaben's very own Uncle Wilson. 

I was working at a magazine, and given the liberty to research a headphone article. Having been introduced to the Jaben store by a friend, I'd already become a customer, but was still only getting my feet wet with their budget offerings (which were excellent price/performance offerings) such as the CrossRoads Bijou 3. One day Uncle Wilson let me try out a MS1.
"What's this?" I wondered; I'd never seen a headphone like it, and I loved the aesthetic. I loved the sound too, straight out of my humble iPod Nano, and when he told me the price I was similarly floored.
(To be clear, it wasn't as cheap as a SR60, but at the time I didn't even know about the SR60.)

Took some time to save up for it, but by the end of that 3-month magazine internship I'd bought my very first "real" headphone, the MS1. 

It's been a downward (upward?) spiral since.

Oct 15, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #20 of 27
wow thats such an awesome story!! omg its so touching,really made my day just to hear such a great story. i can really connect to it now, thanks, you just reminded me about the most important part about headphones, its just me and the music! nothing else. thanks for sharing!

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 27
That's the funny thing about Grados for me. I always seem to be coming back to them.

A pair of SR80's were my first real headphones and I loved the way they sounded. Not quite as great of an experience as you had (great story btw!) but the build quality was off putting and I sold them. Now I'm on my 3rd pair of SR80's and I want more.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
1997 was when I got my SR60.  And then the HD600 later that year.  :)
It was time to move on from the Sony MDR V6 I had been using during college.

My same headphone journey of joy and discovery (with a few between SR60 & HD600).  After discovering SR60, I gave away the MDR V6 to a friend and actually felt bad about giving him such mediocre headphones.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #25 of 27
I can still recall my inability to keep a straight face upon selling my almost brand new Senn HD515
to a colleague at work for $60AUD ($180AUD new) who wanted it for watching TV.

"So it's a good headphone?" he enquired

"Erm..<sweat>...yeeess I guess you could say that" I replied

This was 2 days after discovering my first SR80i.

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #27 of 27
Late joining in, but it really is a nice thread. My first real experience with headphones would have come back in the 1980s with some mid-tier Sony closed back design my older brother had purchased. We had a decent Pioneer SX 580 receiver and a PL 200 turntable back then. I loved listening to music through speakers, but at one point I started listening to music for hours late at night through those Sony headphones. I remember they sounded good, good enough that I wanted to keep them on my ears for hours at a time. We had a big faux leather rocking recliner which I would of course rock in while listening to music pretty darn loud, albums like Hemispheres and A Farwell To Kings by Rush, Black Sabbath the Mob Rules, Van Halen - Women and Children First, Saga - Intransit and so many others. It would be many years later that I re-discovered my love of headphones. One day I just decided I really wanted to listen to headphones again so I started researching headphones and I came across a site in the UK where they were big on the Grado sound. I liked the idea of supporting a US company, and a smaller one at that, plus I was really intrigued by the idea of an open-backed headphone.

I searched around here in Ottawa for a retailer and I found a store selling a few lines including Grado, which they were no longer keeping because the Canadian distributor would not improve their margins. The store was replacing the Grado line with Ultrasones and I spent a few hours comparing the two companies. I walked out of there with their last pair of SR125s, which I just loved. I sold those to a friend of mine a few years later so that I could purchase some SR225s. Anyway, like you David, and many others the Grado sound really drew me into this hobby. I have since moved past the Grado sound (not for good mind you, I still would like to try another Grado can, I also had an HF2 for about a year). If I had a wish it would be for a Grado can that learned a little from the HD 650 in terms of being a little more smooth in their vocing, while retaining much of the Grado forward sound yet getting the highs and upper mids under a tighter, but present sound. I would also like to hear a bit more bass quantity. I always liked how articulate the bass was on my HF2, but still felt the need for more of that bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back