Share The Music (What Do You Listen To?)
Jan 16, 2015 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

020Assassin

100+ Head-Fier
What kind of music do you listen to on your headphones?

I post some Youtube clips of the music I listen to, but trust me, with most of these suggestions, it's way better to listen to the CD:

Hallulajah by Jeff Buckley:

For best effect, get yourself Jeff Buckley's album Grace. Immense talent, taken from us way too soon.

One of my favourite songs on that album:

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 4
  Oh and to 020Assasin, thanks for recommending Stanley Clarke. Can you recommend some music that's as good? Never thought I like something that Jazz-y.

On the Grados I really enjoy John Mayer especially the double live album 'Where The Light Is' (I also recently bought two tracks from John Mayer - No Such Thing EP, the last two tracks 'Lenny' and 'The Wind Cries Mary', both live tracks from the X-Lounge.

The Youtube clips below have a sound quality that is incomparable to the CD or Vinyl versions, but are merely added as samples:

I also recommend Jeff Buckley's Grace album

If you want to go full jazz:

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Kenny Drew - Undercurrent

Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones

and his more fusion work, Red Clay,

And something totally different, but frequently played:

David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

If possible, listen to these tracks on CD or Vinyl. If the embedded clips don't show up, just go to Youtube and search for them.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 4
My favourite Hubbard album is Hub-Tones, but I also like Breaking Point (title track is awesome, especially considering that it was recorded in 1964. The three 70s albums Red Clay, Straight Life, and First Light are different from his 'straight jazz', but extremely tasteful.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 4
By the way, on the subject of sonically challenging albums for audiophiles, I forget one artist whose albums are a challenge for many headphones. I can play this music on the SR325iS and the Stax, but the dynamics are a bit too much for the PX drivers in the ZennJazzGrados:

Nils Petter Molvaer - Khmer

Warning, even in the compressed Youtube quality, don't turn your headphones on too loud. This goes double for the CD version, which has a higher dynamic range...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back