Share a poem...
Jun 2, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #46 of 59
Piece of Mind

Now turning again, turning away from the light,
Doors open then shut, corridor footsteps at night.
Wake up in the bed with the screens,
See faces that smile as you dream.
See things come to call as they crawl on the wall,
And you know it's the end.
To them it means nothing, to them it means nothing,
To them it means nothing to them at all.

Seems we're on two different wavelengths, misinterpreting, you realize
What this age of insanity, lack of humanity brings,
You know I couldn't even tell you my name.

Faces watching through the darkness,
Seems like nothing can dispel my fears
Of endless rejection by beings ethereal,
You know its just about as bad as it can.

Now I feel a little better, seems the walk has done me good, you know
I feel I'm beginning to see the existence of,
You know I never even found out quite what.

Now I really feel I'm flying, far beyond my wildest dreams to be
Alive in this prison of torturing ecstasy.
You know at first it never seemed to relate.

The river sweats
Oil and tar.
The barges drift
With the turning tide.
Red sails wide to leeward,
Swing on the heavy spar.
The barges wash
Drifting logs
Down Greenwich reach
Past the Isle of Dogs.

Let your hopes begin to falter, see your dreams begin to fade, for in
This age of enlightenment, 20th Century man you know
He'll never ever let you go back.

Maybe one day we'll be happy, living life the way we see it through our
Visions of fantasy, Harold in Italy
You know I think I'll just go back to my dreams.

With everyone else posting song lyrics, I thought to post this, a song by the British acid-rock band Curved Air. Hearing it, I puzzled over what it meant for many years, and when I found the lyrics on the www, things did not get much clearer. Nevertheless, I just LOVE this song. Hearing it is quite a trip, especially the "swamp chorus" at the end.

Laz

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #47 of 59
Shine the light on me, forever let me see
To know who you are, and who I want to be

Child of gold, bought and sold
Paid in blood from what I’m told

Cradled him close, as white as a ghost
Not far from the truth, and wanted by most

Child of mine, forever shine
None may ever cross that line

What man would claim, led them to blame
The only one, to feel the shame

Child of old, bones of mold
Tossed away out in the cold

It’s hard to swallow, for those who wallow
As time repeats, we all will follow

Child of dust, eaten by rust
Buried deep beneath the crust

Though I see the end, I still defend
A child forgotten, brought the earth to mend

Biggie.

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #48 of 59
Sting - Russians

[size=large][size=x-small] In Europe and America, there's a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets
Mr. Krushchev said we will bury you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It would be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too

How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer's deadly toy
There is no monopoly in common sense
On either side of the political fence
We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

There is no historical precedent
To put the words in the mouth of the President
There's no such thing as a winnable war
It's a lie that we don't believe anymore
Mr. Reagan says we will protect you
I don't subscribe to this point of view
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too

We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
What might save us, me, and you
Is that the Russians love their children too

[/size]
[/size]

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #49 of 59
Sting - They Dance Alone

[size=large][size=x-small] Why are there women here dancing on their own?
Why is there this sadness in their eyes?
Why are the soldiers here
Their faces fixed like stone?
I can't see what it is that they dispise
They're dancing with the missing
They're dancing with the dead
They dance with the invisible ones
Their anguish is unsaid
They're dancing with their fathers
They're dancing with their sons
They're dancing with their husbands
They dance alone They dance alone

It's the only form of protest they're allowed
I've seen their silent faces scream so loud
If they were to speak these words they'd go missing too
Another woman on a torture table what else can they do
Their anguish is unsaid
They dance alone They dance alone

One day we'll dance on their graves
One day we'll sing our freedom
One day we'll laugh in our joy
And we'll dance
One day we'll dance on their graves
One day we'll sing our freedom
One day we'll laugh in our joy
And we'll dance

Ellas danzan con los desaparecidos
Ellas danzan con los muertos
Ellas danzan con amores invisibles
Ellas danzan con silenciosa angustia
Danzan con sus pardres
Danzan con sus hijos
Danzan con sus esposos
Ellas danzan solas
Danzan solas

Hey Mr. Pinochet
You've sown a bitter crop
It's foreign money that supports you
One day the money's going to stop
No wages for your torturers
No budget for your guns
Can you think of your own mother
Dancin' with her invisible son
They're anguish is unsaid
They dance alone
They dance alone
[/size][/size]

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #50 of 59
Peter Gabriel - Blood Of Eden

[size=large][size=x-small] I caught sight of my reflection
I caught it in the window
I saw the darkness in my heart
I saw the signs of my undoing
They had been there from the start
And the darkness still has work to do
The knotted chord's untying
They're heated and they're holy
Oh they're sitting there on high
So secure with everything they're buying

[Chorus:]
In the blood of Eden
Lie the woman and the man
With the man in the woman
And the woman in the man
In the blood of Eden
We wanted the union
Oh the union of the woman
The woman and the man

My grip is surely slipping
I think I've lost my hold
Yes, I think I've lost my hold
I cannot get insurance anymore
They don't take credit, only gold
Is that a dagger or a crucifix I see
You hold so tightly in your hand
And all the while the distance grows between you and me
I do not understand

[Chorus]

At my request, you take me in
In that tenderness, I am floating away
No certainty, nothing to rely on
Holding still for a moment
What a moment this is
Oh for a moment of forgetting, a moment of bliss
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I can hear the distant thunder
Of a million unheard souls
Of a million unheard souls
Watch each one reach for creature comfort
For the filling of their holes

In the blood of Eden
And the woman in the man
In the blood of Eden
We wanted the union
Of the woman and the man

In the blood of Eden
I feel the man in the woman
And the woman in the man

In the blood of Eden
I feel the man in the woman
And the woman in the man

In the blood of Eden
We've done everything we can
In the blood of Eden
Saw the end as we began
And the woman in the man
It was all for the union
Oh, the union of the woman, the woman and the man.

[extra lyrics from the "film mix"]

The blood of eden keeps running through me
running through my veins
the blood of eden keeps rushing through me
when I'm sure there's none that remains
the blood of eden keeps running through me
I can feel it in my bones
that blood of eden keeps rushing through me
taking back what it owns[/size][/size]

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #51 of 59
Peter Gabriel - Biko

[size=large][size=x-small] September '77
Port Elizabeth weather fine
It was business as usual
In police room 619
Oh Biko, Biko, because Biko
Yihla Moja, Yihla Moja
-The man is dead

When I try to sleep at night
I can only dream in red
The outside world is black and white
With only one colour dead
Yihla Moja, Yihla Moja
-The man is dead

You can blow out a candle
But you can't blow out a fire
Once the flames begin to catch
The wind will blow it higher
Yihla Moja, Yihla Moja
-The man is dead

And the eyes of the world are
watching now
watching now

[/size][/size]

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #52 of 59
Schiller's Ode To Joy

[size=x-small] An die Freude[/size] [size=x-small] To Joy [/size] [size=x-small]1 Freude, schoener Goetterfunken,[/size] [size=x-small]1 Joy, beautiful spark of Gods,[/size] [size=x-small]2 Tochter aus Elysium,[/size] [size=x-small]2 Daughter of Elysium,[/size] [size=x-small]3 Wir betreten feuertrunken,[/size] [size=x-small]3 We enter, fire-imbibed,[/size] [size=x-small]4 Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.[/size] [size=x-small]4 Heavenly, thy sanctuary.[/size] [size=x-small]5 Deine Zauber binden wieder[/size] [size=x-small]5 Thy magic powers re-unite[/size] [size=x-small]6 Was der Mode Schwert geteilt[/size] [size=x-small]6 What custom's sword has divided[/size] [size=x-small]7 Bettler werden Fuerstenbrueder[/size] [size=x-small]7 Beggars become Princes' brothers[/size] [size=x-small]8 Wo dein sanfter Fluegel weilt.[/size] [size=x-small]8 Where thy gentle wing abides.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]9 Seid umschlungen, Millionen![/size] [size=x-small]9 Be embraced, millions![/size] [size=x-small]10 Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt![/size] [size=x-small]10 This kiss to the entire world![/size] [size=x-small]11 Brueder - ueber'm Sternenzelt[/size] [size=x-small]11 Brothers - above the starry canopy[/size] [size=x-small]12 Muss ein lieber Vater wohnen.[/size] [size=x-small]12 A loving father must dwell.[/size] [size=x-small]13 Wem der grosse Wurf gelungen,[/size] [size=x-small]13 Whoever has had the great fortune,[/size] [size=x-small]14 Eines Freundes Freund zu sein,[/size] [size=x-small]14 To be a friend's friend,[/size] [size=x-small]15 Wer ein holdes Weib errungen,[/size] [size=x-small]15 Whoever has won the love of a devoted wife,[/size] [size=x-small]16 Mische seinen Jubel ein![/size] [size=x-small]16 Add his to our jubilation![/size] [size=x-small]17 Ja - wer auch nur eine Seele[/size] [size=x-small]17 Indeed, whoever can call even one soul[/size] [size=x-small]18 Sein nennt auf dem Erdenrund![/size] [size=x-small]18 His own on this earth![/size] [size=x-small]19 Und wer's nie gekonnt, der stehle[/size] [size=x-small]19 And whoever was never able to must creep[/size] [size=x-small]20 Weinend sich aus diesem Bund[/size] [size=x-small]20 Tearfully away from this circle.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]21 Was den grossen Ring bewohnet,[/size] [size=x-small]21 Those who dwell in the great circle,[/size] [size=x-small]22 Huldige der Sympathie![/size] [size=x-small]22 Pay homage to sympathy![/size] [size=x-small]23 Zu den Sternen leitet sie,[/size] [size=x-small]23 It leads to the stars,[/size] [size=x-small]24 Wo der Unbekannte thronet.[/size] [size=x-small]24 Where the Unknown reigns.[/size] [size=x-small]25 Freude trinken alle Wesen[/size] [size=x-small]25 Joy all creatures drink[/size] [size=x-small]26 An den Bruesten der Natur,[/size] [size=x-small]26 At nature's bosoms;[/size] [size=x-small]27 Alle Guten, alle Boesen,[/size] [size=x-small]27 All, Just and Unjust,[/size] [size=x-small]28 Folgen ihrer Rosenspur.[/size] [size=x-small]28 Follow her rose-petalled path.[/size] [size=x-small]29 Kuesse gab sie uns, und Reben,[/size] [size=x-small]29 Kisses she gave us, and Wine,[/size] [size=x-small]30 Einen Freund, geprueft im Tod,[/size] [size=x-small]30 A friend, proven in death,[/size] [size=x-small]31 Wollust ward dem Wurm gegeben,[/size] [size=x-small]31 Pleasure was given (even) to the worm,[/size] [size=x-small]32 Und der Cherub steht vor Gott.[/size] [size=x-small]32 And the Cherub stands before God.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]33 Ihr stuerzt nieder, Millionen?[/size] [size=x-small]33 You bow down, millions?[/size] [size=x-small]34 Ahndest du den Schoepfer, Welt?[/size] [size=x-small]34 Can you sense the Creator, world?[/size] [size=x-small]35 Such ihn ueberm Sternenzelt.[/size] [size=x-small]35 Seek him above the starry canopy.[/size] [size=x-small]36 Ueber Sternen muss er wohnen.[/size] [size=x-small]36 Above the stars He must dwell.[/size] [size=x-small]37 Freude heisst die starke Feder[/size] [size=x-small]37 Joy is called the strong motivation[/size] [size=x-small]38 In der ewigen Natur.[/size] [size=x-small]38 In eternal nature.[/size] [size=x-small]39 Freude, Freude, treibt die Raeder[/size] [size=x-small]39 Joy, joy moves the wheels[/size] [size=x-small]40 In der grossen Weltenuhr.[/size] [size=x-small]40 In the universal time machine.[/size] [size=x-small]41 Blumen lockt sie aus den Keimen,[/size] [size=x-small]41 Flowers it calls forth from their buds,[/size] [size=x-small]42 Sonnen aus dem Firmament,[/size] [size=x-small]42 Suns from the Firmament,[/size] [size=x-small]43 Sphaeren rollt sie in den Raeumen,[/size] [size=x-small]43 Spheres it moves far out in Space,[/size] [size=x-small]44 Die des Sehers Rohr nicht kennt.[/size] [size=x-small]44 Where our telescopes cannot reach.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]45 Froh, wie seine Sonnen fliegen[/size] [size=x-small]45 Joyful, as His suns are flying,[/size] [size=x-small]46 Durch des Himmels praecht'gen Plan[/size] [size=x-small]46 Across the Firmament's splendid design,[/size] [size=x-small]47 Laufet, Brueder, eure Bahn,[/size] [size=x-small]47 Run, brothers, run your race,[/size] [size=x-small]48 Freudig wie ein Held zum Siegen.[/size] [size=x-small]48 Joyful, as a hero going to conquest.[/size] [size=x-small]49 Aus der Wahrheit Feuerspiegel[/size] [size=x-small]49 As truth's fiery reflection[/size] [size=x-small]50 Laechelt sie den Forscher an.[/size] [size=x-small]50 It smiles at the scientist.[/size] [size=x-small]51 Zu der Tugend steilem Huegel[/size] [size=x-small]51 To virtue's steep hill[/size] [size=x-small]52 Leitet sie des Dulders Bahn.[/size] [size=x-small]52 It leads the sufferer on.[/size] [size=x-small]53 Auf des Glaubens Sonnenberge[/size] [size=x-small]53 Atop faith's lofty summit[/size] [size=x-small]54 Sieht man ihre Fahnen wehn,[/size] [size=x-small]54 One sees its flags in the wind,[/size] [size=x-small]55 Durch den Riss gesprengter Saerge[/size] [size=x-small]55 Through the cracks of burst-open coffins,[/size] [size=x-small]56 Sie im Chor der Engel stehn.[/size] [size=x-small]56 One sees it stand in the angels' chorus.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]57 Duldet mutig, Millionen![/size] [size=x-small]57 Endure courageously, millions![/size] [size=x-small]58 Duldet fuer die bess're Welt![/size] [size=x-small]58 Endure for the better world![/size] [size=x-small]59 Droben ueber'm Sternenzelt[/size] [size=x-small]59 Above the starry canopy[/size] [size=x-small]60 Wird ein grosser Gott belohnen.[/size] [size=x-small]60 A great God will reward you.[/size] [size=x-small]61 Goettern kann man nicht vergelten,[/size] [size=x-small]61 Gods one cannot ever repay,[/size] [size=x-small]62 Schoen ist's, ihnen gleich zu sein.[/size] [size=x-small]62 It is beautiful, though, to be like them.[/size] [size=x-small]63 Gram und Armut soll sich melden,[/size] [size=x-small]63 Sorrow and Poverty, come forth[/size] [size=x-small]64 Mit den Frohen sich erfreun.[/size] [size=x-small]64 And rejoice with the Joyful ones.[/size] [size=x-small]65 Groll und Rache sei vergessen,[/size] [size=x-small]65 Anger and revenge be forgotten,[/size] [size=x-small]66 Unserm Todfeind sei verziehn,[/size] [size=x-small]66 Our deadly enemy be forgiven,[/size] [size=x-small]67 Keine Traene soll ihn pressen,[/size] [size=x-small]67 Not one tear shall he shed anymore,[/size] [size=x-small]68 Keine Reue nage ihn.[/size] [size=x-small]68 No feeling of remorse shall pain him.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]69 Unser Schuldbuch sei vernichtet![/size] [size=x-small]69 The account of our misdeeds be destroyed![/size] [size=x-small]70 Ausgesoehnt die ganze Welt![/size] [size=x-small]70 Reconciled the entire world![/size] [size=x-small]71 Brueder, ueber'm Sternenzelt[/size] [size=x-small]71 Brothers, above the starry canopy[/size] [size=x-small]72 Richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet.[/size] [size=x-small]72 God judges as we judged.[/size] [size=x-small]73 Freude sprudelt in Pokalen,[/size] [size=x-small]73 Joy is bubbling in the glasses,[/size] [size=x-small]74 In der Traube goldnem Blut[/size] [size=x-small]74 Through the grapes' golden blood[/size] [size=x-small]75 Trinken Sanftmut Kannibalen,[/size] [size=x-small]75 Cannibals drink gentleness,[/size] [size=x-small]76 Die Verzweiflung Heldenmut--[/size] [size=x-small]76 And despair drinks courage--[/size] [size=x-small]77 Brueder, fliegt von euren Sitzen,[/size] [size=x-small]77 Brothers, fly from your seats,[/size] [size=x-small]78 Wenn der volle Roemer kreist,[/size] [size=x-small]78 When the full rummer is going around,[/size] [size=x-small]79 Lasst den Schaum zum Himmel* sptruetzen:[/size] [size=x-small]79 Let the foam gush up to heaven*:[/size] [size=x-small]80 Dieses Glas dem guten Geist.[/size] [size=x-small]80 This glass to the good spirit.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]81 Den der Sterne Wirbel loben[/size] [size=x-small]81 He whom star clusters adore,[/size] [size=x-small]82 Den des Seraphs Hymne preist,[/size] [size=x-small]82 He whom the Seraphs' hymn praises,[/size] [size=x-small]83 Dieses Glas dem guten Geist[/size] [size=x-small]83 This glass to him, the good spirit,[/size] [size=x-small]84 Ueber'm Sternenzelt dort oben![/size] [size=x-small]84 Above the starry canopy![/size] [size=x-small]85 Festen Mut in schwerem Leiden,[/size] [size=x-small]85 Resolve and courage for great suffering,[/size] [size=x-small]86 Huelfe, wo die Unschuld weint,[/size] [size=x-small]86 Help there, where innocence weeps,[/size] [size=x-small]87 Ewigkeit geschwornen Eiden,[/size] [size=x-small]87 Eternally may last all sworn Oaths,[/size] [size=x-small]88 Wahrheit gegen Freund und Feind,[/size] [size=x-small]88 Truth towards friend and enemy,[/size] [size=x-small]89 Maennerstolz vor Koenigsthronen--[/size] [size=x-small]89 Men's pride before Kings' thrones--[/size] [size=x-small]90 Brueder, gaelt es Gut und Blut.--[/size] [size=x-small]90 Brothers, even it if meant our Life and blood,[/size] [size=x-small]91 Dem Verdienste seine Kronen,[/size] [size=x-small]91 Give the crowns to those who earn them,[/size] [size=x-small]92 Untergang der Luegenbrut![/size] [size=x-small]92 Defeat to the pack of liars![/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]93 Schliesst den heilgen Zirkel dichter[/size] [size=x-small]93 Close the holy circle tighter,[/size] [size=x-small]94 Schwoert bei diesem goldnen Wein:[/size] [size=x-small]94 Swear by this golden wine:[/size] [size=x-small]95 Dem Geluebde treu zu sein,[/size] [size=x-small]95 To remain true to the Oath,[/size] [size=x-small]96 Schwoert es bei dem Sternenrichter![/size] [size=x-small]96 Swear it by the Judge above the stars![/size] [size=x-small]97 Rettung von Tyrannenketten,[/size] [size=x-small]97 Delivery from tyrants' chains,[/size] [size=x-small]98 Grossmut auch dem Boesewicht,[/size] [size=x-small]98 Generosity also towards the villain,[/size] [size=x-small]99 Hoffnung auf den Sterbebetten,[/size] [size=x-small]99 Hope on the deathbeds,[/size] [size=x-small]100 Gnade auf dem Hochgericht![/size] [size=x-small]100 Mercy from the final judge![/size] [size=x-small]101 Auch die Toten sollen leben![/size] [size=x-small]101 Also the dead shall live![/size] [size=x-small]102 Brueder, trinkt und stimmet ein,[/size] [size=x-small]102 Brothers, drink and chime in,[/size] [size=x-small]103 Allen Suendern soll vergeben,[/size] [size=x-small]103 All sinners shall be forgiven,[/size] [size=x-small]104 Und die Hoelle nicht mehr sein.[/size] [size=x-small]104 And hell shall be no more.[/size] [size=x-small]Chor[/size] [size=x-small]Chorus[/size] [size=x-small]105 Eine heitre Abschiedsstunde![/size] [size=x-small]105 A serene hour of farewell![/size] [size=x-small]106 Suessen Schlaf im Leichentuch![/size] [size=x-small]106 Sweet rest in the shroud![/size] [size=x-small]107 Brueder--einen sanften Spruch[/size] [size=x-small]107 Brothers--a mild sentence[/size] [size=x-small]108 Aus des Totenrichters Mund.[/size] [size=x-small]108 From the mouth of the final judge![/size]

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #53 of 59
Sarah McLachlan - Lost

[size=large][size=x-small] By the shadows of the night I go
I moved away from the crowded room
That sea of shallow faces masked in warm regret
They don't know how to feel, they don't know what is lost

[CHORUS]

Lost in the darkness of a land
Where all the hope that's offered is
Memories of being taken by the hand
And we are led into the sun

But I don't have a hold on what is real
Though we can only try
What is there to give or to believe
I want it all to go away I want to be alone
Sympathy's wasted on my hollow shell
I feel there's nothing left to fight for
No reason for a cause
And I can't hear your voice and I can't feel you near

[CHORUS]

I wanted a change knowing all I could do was try
I was looking for someone...
[/size][/size]

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #54 of 59
Paul Simon - Boy In The Bubble

It was a slow day
And the sun was beating
On the soldiers by the side of the road
There was a bright light
A shattering of shop windows
The bomb in the baby carriage
Was wired to the radio
These are the days of miracle and wonder
This is the long distance call
The way the camera follows us in slo-mo
The way we look to us all
The way we look to a distant constellation
Thats dying in a corner of the sky
And dont cry baby, dont cry
Dont cry

It was a dry wind
And it swept across the desert
And it curled into the circle of birth
And the dead sand
Falling on the children
The mothers and the fathers
And the automatic earth
Dont cry

Its a turn-around jump shot
Its everybody jump start
Its every generation throws a hero up the pop charts
Medicine is magical and magical is art
The boy in the bubble
And the baby with the baboon heart

And I believe
These are the days of lasers in the jungle
Lasers in the jungle somewhere
Staccato signals of constant information
A loose affiliation of millionaires
And billionaires and baby
Dont cry

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #55 of 59
The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
Ah, look at all the lonely people
Ah, look at all the lonely people

Eleanor Rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has
been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the
door
Who is it for?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from ?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong ?

Father McKenzie writing the words of a sermon that no one will
hear
No one comes near.
Look at him working. Darning his socks in the night when there's
nobody there
What does he care?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her
name
Nobody came
Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from
the grave
No one was saved

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #56 of 59
The Beatles - A Day In The Life

[size=x-small] I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade
And though the news was rather sad
Well I just had to laugh
I saw the photograph.
He blew his mind out in a car
He didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen his face before
Nobody was really sure
If he was from the House of Lords.
I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
A crowd of people turned away
but I just had to look
Having read the book.
I'd love to turn you on
Woke up, fell out of bed,
Dragged a comb across my head
Found my way downstairs and drank a cup,
And looking up I noticed I was late.
Found my coat and grabbed my hat
Made the bus in seconds flat
Found my way upstairs and had a smoke,
Somebody spoke and I went into a dream
I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
I'd love to turn you on
[/size]

Jun 29, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #57 of 59
3 February 2003

Too fat.
Too skinny.
She talks too much.
She annoys me.
She’s too wild.
She drinks too much.
Too mean.
Too nice
she doesn’t challenge me.
She has a weird walk.
She has no common sense.
I can’t be with someone like that.
Too shallow.
Too boring.
I don’t like the way she dresses.
I like it when they have their own style.
Too wild.
She wears too much makeup. lipstick.
Of course, there are exceptions, but they’re all
too young
too old
or already taken.
Though I seem to do well with married women.
She has no common sense.
She sets unhealthy goals.
She speaks the wrong language
She doesn’t understand me.
Too short.
Not tall enough.
(she eats her peas one at a time
i can’t be with someone like that.)
She thinks she’s better than me.
She hates me.
She likes country music.
She’s mentally stable.
She just doesn’t have that quality
I wonder if she has a sister.
She watches reality television.
She hates Radiohead.
She doesn’t go to church.
She’s too religious
I’d corrupt her.
She doesn’t like my dog.
She has absolutely no interest in any type of art.
She doesn’t appreciate me.
I can’t be with someone like that.
She’s too outgoing.
She doesn’t even see me.
She’s too wild.
She scares me.
She takes herself too seriously.
She takes me too seriously.
She’s dead.
She has an ugly boyfriend.
Uglier than me.
She has no sense of humor.
She doesn’t know me.
She doesn’t want to.
She’s unapproachable.
She thinks she’s somebody.
She’s too fake.
Too selfish.
She knows someone that knows me.
She talks too much.
She can’t keep a secret.
I can’t be with someone like that,
I’m a scorpio.
She doesn’t give me any space.
I don’t like her family.
There are exceptions.
She makes me feel inadequate.
She’s too bossy.
We have too much in common.
(She’s just like me. I can’t be with
someone like me. I hate myself.)
She’s on drugs.
She used to date my sister.
She expects me to call the next day.
She’s too judgmental.

sg

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #58 of 59
I once had a lot to say
But perhaps that was another day
And now I sit idle, face twisted and a bit yellow
In the mirror is a man, but who really is this fellow?

Twisted, turned, yellow and a day behind
Lost my strength, my pride all in a matter of time
Oh for a watch, red with fire and a chance!
To turn again, change my color and in the mirror a better glance.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #59 of 59
...and now one by the late, great Stan Rogers. He died in a plane crash just as he was getting well-known. If he and Robert W. Service had lived at the same time, they might have been good friends. This is my favorite inspirational song:

The Mary Ellen Carter

she went down last October in a pourin, drivin rain
the Skipper he'd been drinkin, and the Mate he felt no pain
too close to Three Mile Rock, and she was dealt her mortal blow
and the Mary Ellen Carter settled low
there was just us five aboard her when she finally was awash
we'd worked like hell to save her, all heedless of the cost
and the groan she gave as she went down, it caused us to proclaim that the Mary Ellen Carter would rise again

well the owners wrote her off, not a nickel would they spend
"She gave twenty years of service, boys, and met her sorry end
but insurance paid the loss to us, so let her rest below."
then they laughed at us and said we had to go
but we talked of her all winter, some days around the clock
she's worth a quarter million, afloat and at the dock
and with every jar that hit the bar we swore we would remain
and make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again

rise again! rise again! let her name not be lost to the knowledge of men
oh, those who knew her best and were with her to the end
will make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again

all spring now we've been with her on a barge lent by a friend
three dives a day in hard-hat suits and twice I've had the bends
thank God it's only sixty feet and the currents here are slow
or I'd never have the strength to go below
but we patched her rents, stopped her vents
dogged hatch and porthole down
put cables to her fore and aft, and girded her around
tomorrow noon, we hit the air and then take up the strain
and make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!

rise again! rise again!
let her name not be lost to the knowledge of men
will make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again

for we couldn't leave her there you see to crumble into scale
she'd saved our lives so many times a-livin through the gale
and the laughing, drunken rats who left her to a sorry grave
they won't be laughing in another day...
and you to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go -
turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
and like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!
no matter what you've lost, be it a home a love a friend
like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again!

rise again! rise again!
let her name not be lost to the knowledge of men
will make the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!

Now that's from memory all the way, some songs just get so imprinted...
Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back