Shaping up old headphones (sony mdr cd3000 / akg k340)
Aug 31, 2007 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

flordenuve

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of sony mdr cd3000 and another pair of akg k340 which I have bought in a second hand store. They are both pretty beat up and worn, but they still work, which is the important thing. Now I was wondering if there is any type of instructions on how to take care of old / 2nd hand headphones? Maybe you have to - I don't know - clean the drivers, or vacuum clean the earcups or something to make them work as new again. This is not about the looks, but about the functioning and durability of the headphones.
I would be thankful for any tips!

/flor

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Nice score! There are a lot of things that you can do to shapeup the K340s. Replacing the elastics that keep tension in the headband is the first, along with a thorough cleaning. I would suggest replacing the earpads with a set of velours as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for cleaning the driver itself, I will allow someone with more DIY knowledge to assist you.
340smile.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 3
If you aren't sure about what you're doing, trying to clean things inside the K340 is more likely to end up damaging something than fixing anything. Unless they're particularly nasty, there's no reason you should actually need to take them apart for cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back