Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Jul 18, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #811 of 975
We are receiving units from all around the world for warranty repairs, there might be some paperwork with customs, but batteries do not represent issue.
This is what was written on my parcel. And what I've found when I've made some research on the net...French post told me everything was ok with the paper but French post is not a good one.
At least Shanling is getting exposed for their fradualant activities here on the forum.

Since we've shared our experience here I really hope it will make others think twice before buying a Shanling product. And the kind of response they give to our issues really shows how much they really care about their customers.
I have no problem in particular with Shanling as my issue as been solved with my seller and love my UP5. As I told you my parcel has been rejected by the custom because it is a device with battery. Nothing to do with Shanling policy.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #813 of 975
Shanling seems to be getting a bit of a bad rep here, but just to balance things up a bit, sadly poor customer support is quite common when buying mass-produced electronics from any Chinese supplier. Its all very well and good while things work but any issues and most but all Chinese suppliers will offer very little help, its a logistics among other things IMHO, everything is setup to send stuff East-West, try and go the other way and that's where it doesn't work.

How to avoid this? You can't easily its just a fact of life when buying this stuff. Just don't buy it in the first place is the only way to avoid the occasional issue.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #814 of 975
I've owned this thing from the very beginning, back when it was the very first firmware they had. I have never gotten over 3, maybe 4 hours of playback on it, regardless of what "updates" have been pushed out. Ive always used it with the balanced plug and have no interest in using the smaller 3.5 jack...thats not what i bought it for. As I've followed along in this forum over, I dunno, the past year and change or so, I've read about all kinds of issues folks have had with this product. I can't say that I've faced much of what I've read about ( i mainly use it when flying), but when I start hearing people say they are getting 10 plus hours of playback, that makes my BS meter go off. I'm curious though to hear if anyone else is claiming 10 hours other than the manufacturer. For what it is, its a decent product and mostly serves its part but it has not met any expectations as far as what the manufacturer was claiming. I chalked that up to typical manufacturer lies, country of origin lies. I don't think that banning Shangling from a forum would be the best road to take as then, there would be no news if any useful updates came out (not like there have been a whole lot of those) but if you take your time, go back and read through this entire forum, you can see their (Shanlings) tone and attitude change and I, to, feel this product has been abandoned. The gig is up and they are on to something else new and shiny, like IEMs for example. As a manufacturer (Shanling) it is up to you and you alone to ensure your products work and to fix the problems your customers have. It is not up to your resellers to fix those issues, that is your owness. By you trying to pass the buck on to your resellers, you lose credibility as a company and can damage the reputation of those very same resellers that are trying to help you by putting your product into the market in the first place. This is YOUR product, not theirs. Remember that....and own it.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #815 of 975
I've owned this thing from the very beginning, back when it was the very first firmware they had. I have never gotten over 3, maybe 4 hours of playback on it, regardless of what "updates" have been pushed out. Ive always used it with the balanced plug and have no interest in using the smaller 3.5 jack...thats not what i bought it for. As I've followed along in this forum over, I dunno, the past year and change or so, I've read about all kinds of issues folks have had with this product. I can't say that I've faced much of what I've read about ( i mainly use it when flying), but when I start hearing people say they are getting 10 plus hours of playback, that makes my BS meter go off. I'm curious though to hear if anyone else is claiming 10 hours other than the manufacturer. For what it is, its a decent product and mostly serves its part but it has not met any expectations as far as what the manufacturer was claiming. I chalked that up to typical manufacturer lies, country of origin lies. I don't think that banning Shangling from a forum would be the best road to take as then, there would be no news if any useful updates came out (not like there have been a whole lot of those) but if you take your time, go back and read through this entire forum, you can see their (Shanlings) tone and attitude change and I, to, feel this product has been abandoned. The gig is up and they are on to something else new and shiny, like IEMs for example. As a manufacturer (Shanling) it is up to you and you alone to ensure your products work and to fix the problems your customers have. It is not up to your resellers to fix those issues, that is your owness. By you trying to pass the buck on to your resellers, you lose credibility as a company and can damage the reputation of those very same resellers that are trying to help you by putting your product into the market in the first place. This is YOUR product, not theirs. Remember that....and own it.
Most of the reviewers who have reviewed the UP5 mentioned they are getting 8/9 hours worth of battery back up from the balanced port.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #817 of 975
I had some problems with my UP5 unit, already relayed in the previous pages and which the v1.3.0 firmware has generally solved. On the other hand, I had no problem with autonomy, it must have been around 8 hours of playback on the balanced output.

If I'm talking about the UP5 in the past tense, it's because I sold my unit. When the adventure gets off to a bad start as it was for me, it's hard to appreciate a product that annoyed me so much.
I still have a Q1 today, but it will be difficult in the future for me to trust Shanling again on new products.

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #818 of 975
Most of the reviewers who have reviewed the UP5 mentioned they are getting 8/9 hours worth of battery back up from the balanced port.
Are these "paid" reviewers though? Ive not dug around into too many other forums or reviewers on the UP5 other than the community around here, whom have been more than helpful to me. Especially ones that have been around from the beginning AND ARE STILL HERE, trying to help out or let some one else know their experiences. I'm more apt to believe regular folks, like yourself, that come out of the blue with an issue that raises my awareness because hey, that's exactly what has happened to me as well. We are all scattered throughout the ENTIRE WORLD here on this forum. The coincidence of them shipping that many units that had issues as far and wide as they apparently did though??? I mean, you're from Bangladesh, I'm the U.S., others are from France, Germany, etc. Bad batches are an isolated incident. Bad batches dont get shipped to every corner of the world. Not even in phones...and they produce 10 million dozen more of those than they do these. Evidence enough for me. However, for what it is, I still like the sound out of it. I run Fiio FH7's in balanced mode, dual, LDAC, optimized for audio in developer options setting on device. SOURCE: Galaxy S22 Ultra, Dell Lattitude Tablet....or if im being lazy on a plane, a bluetooth transmitter dongle from the plane tv paired to the UP5, which changes it from LDAC to APTX. Just wished the battery lasted longer.

Edit: using Tidal for music

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #819 of 975
Hello! And at what settings does it take so long? With Bluetooth, low gain and a single DAC?

To get maximum battery life, using AAC, low gain and single DAC should get you the longest battery life. Can be up to 15 hours in our testing, if you have good connection on Bluetooth.
On other hand, LDAC, Balanced, high-gain and running it at maximum volume into some less sensitive headphones will be the opposite.

Shanling seems to be getting a bit of a bad rep here, but just to balance things up a bit, sadly poor customer support is quite common when buying mass-produced electronics from any Chinese supplier. Its all very well and good while things work but any issues and most but all Chinese suppliers will offer very little help, its a logistics among other things IMHO, everything is setup to send stuff East-West, try and go the other way and that's where it doesn't work.

How to avoid this? You can't easily its just a fact of life when buying this stuff. Just don't buy it in the first place is the only way to avoid the occasional issue.

From our end, customer support is limited by our inner company policies and B2B agreements with our distributors and dealers.

Different distributors and dealers around the World have different approach to warranty, given their different size, local market demands and local laws. If you are in doubt about warranty policy, we recommend to reach out directly to your local distributor/dealer to make sure about their policy and the given brand.

Does the up5 (or up4) have a line out mode?

There is no dedicated line-out mode. If you using the single-ended output to RCA, just set them to maximum volume, that will get you close to line-out level voltage.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 19, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #820 of 975
Are these "paid" reviewers though? Ive not dug around into too many other forums or reviewers on the UP5 other than the community around here, whom have been more than helpful to me. Especially ones that have been around from the beginning AND ARE STILL HERE, trying to help out or let some one else know their experiences. I'm more apt to believe regular folks, like yourself, that come out of the blue with an issue that raises my awareness because hey, that's exactly what has happened to me as well. We are all scattered throughout the ENTIRE WORLD here on this forum. The coincidence of them shipping that many units that had issues as far and wide as they apparently did though??? I mean, you're from Bangladesh, I'm the U.S., others are from France, Germany, etc. Bad batches are an isolated incident. Bad batches dont get shipped to every corner of the world. Not even in phones...and they produce 10 million dozen more of those than they do these. Evidence enough for me. However, for what it is, I still like the sound out of it. I run Fiio FH7's in balanced mode, dual, LDAC, optimized for audio in developer options setting on device. SOURCE: Galaxy S22 Ultra, Dell Lattitude Tablet....or if im being lazy on a plane, a bluetooth transmitter dongle from the plane tv paired to the UP5, which changes it from LDAC to APTX. Just wished the battery lasted longer.

Edit: using Tidal for music
Well as for the community on here only 2 people commented when I asked about the UP5's battery life using balanced port. One of them mentioned they are getting 10 hours worth of back up and you said you're getting maximum 4 and even doubted the other guy.

I've owned both Shanling UP4 and Fiio BTR 5 and used to get minimum 6 hours worth of battery back up on a single charge using their balanced port. So I would be really surprised that somehow UP5 went backwards in terms of battery life. On the other hand Shanling themselves have claimed 11 hours battery back up on the UP5 using the balanced port, while I do realize real life usage will vary but there is a huge difference between claimed 11 hours and actually getting 3 hours only. The Shanling sponsor account themselves asked me to claim warranty when I reported this issue here.

So in my humble opinion, rather than every single reviewer lying about the battery life they are getting on their UP5, it seems to me you've gotten a faulty device just like me and convinced yourself that nothing is wrong. I would reconsider my point of view if more forum members came forward and reported they are getting the same 3 to 4 hours worth of battery life using the balanced port, but that hasn't happened yet.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #821 of 975
I only use balanced port and know that I don't have 10 hours for sure of battery. But I can't tell you how many hours exactly.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #822 of 975
I'm sorry but most reviewers just go by listed specs with +/- an hour to make it like a credible thorough review on that subject With most reviews that are already sponsored and or paid, it's hard to find credible reviews anymore. Your best bet would wait it out and jump the gun on first release. Wait for the consensus down the road from the average consumer. I usually give it 6 months or more down the road and spot the hype and credible feedbacks.

I travel/fly a lot and BT dac/amp is the more convenient solution for me in that regards. I am still using the M0 and has served me well through the years but am now looking for a replacement which is solely a dac/amp and not a dap. UA5 has been on my radar but after reading all through this hoopla, I'll be waiting it out more and hopefully something good happens or other options arise. Heck if anything I'd be better off with another M0 as I also use it in dap mode with a tiny bullet iem that I shove into my ear comfortably at 20% volume as I go to sleep. I don't splurge too much on dongle as I have a proper desktop setup as my main HP listening.

Jul 19, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #823 of 975
To get maximum battery life, using AAC, low gain and single DAC should get you the longest battery life. Can be up to 15 hours in our testing, if you have good connection on Bluetooth.
On other hand, LDAC, Balanced, high-gain and running it at maximum volume into some less sensitive headphones will be the opposite.

From our end, customer support is limited by our inner company policies and B2B agreements with our distributors and dealers.

Different distributors and dealers around the World have different approach to warranty, given their different size, local market demands and local laws. If you are in doubt about warranty policy, we recommend to reach out directly to your local distributor/dealer to make sure about their policy and the given brand.

There is no dedicated line-out mode. If you using the single-ended output to RCA, just set them to maximum volume, that will get you close to line-out level voltage.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back