Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
Mar 18, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #1,171 of 1,460
Does the UP4 support wired mode with android devices?, And if yes is there a specific type of type c to type c wire needed?
It does, but you'll have to do some acrobatics to get it to work.

You'll need an OTG adapter and then a USB A to USB C cable.

Phone - OTG - Cable - UP4

Honesty I haven't tried it myself, just going by the testimony of other people.

Mar 18, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #1,172 of 1,460
It does, but you'll have to do some acrobatics to get it to work.

You'll need an OTG adapter and then a USB A to USB C cable.

Phone - OTG - Cable - UP4

Honesty I haven't tried it myself, just going by the testimony of other people.
OTG is the same cable just having 2 pins differently wired, so you could go with single type c to type c cable thats wired for OTG. That stuff with the OTG adapter other people were mentioning, is if you have just a standard usb c cable.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,173 of 1,460
OTG is the same cable just having 2 pins differently wired, so you could go with single type c to type c cable thats wired for OTG. That stuff with the OTG adapter other people were mentioning, is if you have just a standard usb c cable.
I can't seem to find any otg cable that's male to male, granted I don't live in a developed country.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #1,174 of 1,460
I can't seem to find any otg cable that's male to male, granted I don't live in a developed country.
I think i was seeing cables like that for around $10-15, but only one i can find atm is this. Havent tried it. Maybe you can find something cheaper on ali, browse around. Just have in mind that cheap cables can sometimes say otg, while not being otg in reality.

Edit: Heres another cheaper one, and for this one there are some confirmations in feedback that it works as OTG.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,175 of 1,460
Hi, I just got a UP2 yesterday, but it's stuck on firmware 1.2x I tried updating via the companion app, and it sees that 1.7.5 is available, but after it "updates" the UP2, it says it's still using 1.2 I tried updating via my PC but the install app can never see the UP2, is there something wrong with my unit? Or am I just doing something wrong? Thanks

Mar 19, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #1,176 of 1,460
Hi, I just got a UP2 yesterday, but it's stuck on firmware 1.2x I tried updating via the companion app, and it sees that 1.7.5 is available, but after it "updates" the UP2, it says it's still using 1.2 I tried updating via my PC but the install app can never see the UP2, is there something wrong with my unit? Or am I just doing something wrong? Thanks
Its the old version, that can only be updated through PC.
It seems some old stock is going around, or maybe factory refurbished units(im sure well never get a confirmation on that), as i got mine couple months ago and it also was the old version. There isnt any other disclosed difference than the updating procedure, but there might be. Mine is much less consistent and stable compared to Hiby W3 and Fiio BTR3K, like reconnecting to second source. But if you dont fiddle with it much and have it connected to one source, it works great. So maybe new one is improved on that field too? Well never know, unless someone has them both and can compare.
If we assume that its new old stock, another negative that im pretty certain is connected with the age of the old version and the fact that they come almost fully charged out of the box(meaning battery has been kept at high charge for maybe a year?), battery will have reduced capacity. Mine measured with an expensive USB meter takes in 360mah, while it should be 400mah and usually is bit more than declared on new devices. As a comparison on 9 month old Hiby W3 with declared 320mah i get 315mah in, and on a new BTR3K with declared 330mah i get 340mah in. So for me its around 10-15% less runtime than it should have out of the box, it would be great if you can measure too, im really curious.
But it sounds great and i like it best out of the 3 i own, so i assume i decided i can live with that, didnt want to go through the hassle of returning it either way.
Btw where did you get it from, so we know not to order from that store? Mine was from @shenzhenaudio , and even with a confirmation from the support agent that they have the newest one, i still got the old one.

Mar 19, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,177 of 1,460
It seems some old stock is going around, or maybe factory refurbished units(im sure well never get a confirmation on that), as i got mine couple months ago and it also was the old version. There isnt any other disclosed difference than the updating procedure, but there might be. Mine is much less consistent and stable compared to Hiby W3 and Fiio BTR3K, like reconnecting to second source. But if you dont fiddle with it much and have it connected to one source, it works great. So maybe new one is improved on that field too? Well never know, unless someone has them both and can compare.
If we assume that its new old stock, another negative that im pretty certain is connected with the age of the old version and the fact that they come almost fully charged out of the box(meaning battery has been kept at high charge for maybe a year?), battery will have reduced capacity. Mine measured with an expensive USB meter takes in 360mah, while it should be 400mah and usually is bit more than declared on new devices. As a comparison on 9 month old Hiby W3 with declared 320mah i get 315mah in, and on a new BTR3K with declared 330mah i get 340mah in. So for me its around 10-15% less runtime than it should have out of the box, it would be great if you can measure too, im really curious.
But it sounds great and i like it best out of the 3 i own, so i assume i decided i can live with that, didnt want to go through the hassle of returning it either way.
Btw where did you get it from, so we know not to order from that store? Mine was from @shenzhenaudio , and even with a confirmation from the support agent that they have the newest one, i still got the old one.
Yes to all of this, I got it from a cheap aliexpress seller,
Though I'm having a hard time updating though pc, my pc never detects it as anything but a dac

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,180 of 1,460
http://en.shanling.com/article-UP2-4FwAug.html
You need to unplug earphones/headphones, or it wont enter DFU mode.
Thank you, that worked, but I still can't use the app to adjust the EQ, it sees the UP2 but the status screen and filter screen are blank, the EQ screen is there but adjustments dont seem to work.

Also battery life only seems to be about 4-5 hours :/
Though it sounds fantastic, as good as my Fiio M7

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #1,182 of 1,460
I think i was seeing cables like that for around $10-15, but only one i can find atm is this. Havent tried it. Maybe you can find something cheaper on ali, browse around. Just have in mind that cheap cables can sometimes say otg, while not being otg in reality.

Edit: Heres another cheaper one, and for this one there are some confirmations in feedback that it works as OTG.
Thanks! I searched everywhere and can't find any locally.. I would have to source it from Aliexpress (which I really don't want to do unless I have to).

I think I'm just going to use my existing dongles if I need a dongle, and leave the UP4 for pure BT purposes. Thanks again!
Actually, the battery is much worse, I just left it on at mid volume with small iem's and after 1 hour it hit 50% battery life as reported in android :frowning2:
Have you done a full battery cycle with the device? (Use it until 5-10% is left, and then fully charge it)

Sometimes the meter needs some calibrating.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #1,184 of 1,460

There is nothing like "New old stock". But if you are buying from Chinese sellers, you can get some unit that was sitting in stock for some time.

Thank you, that worked, but I still can't use the app to adjust the EQ, it sees the UP2 but the status screen and filter screen are blank, the EQ screen is there but adjustments dont seem to work.

Also battery life only seems to be about 4-5 hours :/
Though it sounds fantastic, as good as my Fiio M7
Does the app recognize it correctly as firmware V1.7.5? Sometimes it's best to re-install app after you updated UP2 to the new firmware.
Actually, the battery is much worse, I just left it on at mid volume with small iem's and after 1 hour it hit 50% battery life as reported in android :frowning2:
Try to run full battery cycle and measure actual battery time. Do not rely on the battery status in the system.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #1,185 of 1,460
There is nothing like "New old stock". But if you are buying from Chinese sellers, you can get some unit that was sitting in stock for some time.

Does the app recognize it correctly as firmware V1.7.5? Sometimes it's best to re-install app after you updated UP2 to the new firmware.

Try to run full battery cycle and measure actual battery time. Do not rely on the battery status in the system.
The battery still drops fast, but it doesn't die, just hangs at 50% so I think it is ok.
I can't get the app to work at all, I tried re-installing, it sees the UP2 as being connected and firmware ver as 1.7.5 but, all the screens (filter/staus) are blank, the EQ screen looks like it works, and when I change the EQ I hear an audible click in the headphones, but the EQ doesn't seem to be doing anything, I tired custom and all presets, they all sound 100% the same :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back