Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
Jul 23, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #211 of 1,460
One question though. I've been trying to use it as a USB DAC and my PC isn't recognizing the the Device. It sees my M5s and other USB Dacs, but when I plug the UP2 into my PC USB port nothing happens. What am I missing?
On my Mac it is always recognized. But you have to turn it on to get working. Also, sometimes there is no sound until I go to Audio setup and change sample rate. I have not yet updated firmware, but hope it will fix this.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #212 of 1,460
It sounds similar to the M0, which is hardly surprising since the DAC and amp section is taken from that.
This might sound like a stupid question, but then...
what's the point about getting the UP2 and not the M0 instead?

Given that prices I would say are comparable (M0 can be found on sale in special offers from time to time or easily available as used item now), dimensions are similar, M0 is more complete, firmware should be more stable as of now (I guess), etc.

I mean, just trying to understand the real advantage if hardware-wise and sound-wise they are first cousins. (?)

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #213 of 1,460

Given that prices I would say are comparable (M0 can be found on sale in special offers from time to time or easily available as used item now), dimensions are similar, M0 is more complete, firmware should be more stable as of now (I guess), etc.

I mean, just trying to understand the real advantage if hardware-wise and sound-wise they are first cousins. (?)

Well... can I stream Tidal from the M0? Or is it just an audio player? All I need from the UP2 is to allow me to stream from my phone.

EDIT: Just checked Amazon and the M0 is almost twice the price I paid for the UP2.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #214 of 1,460

First of all, it's more affordable. Admittedly the difference isn't much but for those on a tight budget, it might make all the difference. The other reason is probably that people just like to use their phone as a source; they have big screens, fast processors and are extremely familiar etc.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #215 of 1,460
Well... can I stream Tidal from the M0? Or is it just an audio player? All I need from the UP2 is to allow me to stream from my phone.
You can stream Tidal to the M0 from your phone. :wink: I think that's the point @OscarPaz was making. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the UP2 has a built-in microphone and can be used for phone calls which the M0 cannot.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #216 of 1,460
You can stream Tidal to the M0 from your phone. :wink: I think that's the point @OscarPaz was making. Oh, I also forgot to mention that the UP2 has a built-in microphone and can be used for phone calls which the M0 cannot.

Yeah, just reading up on the M0 now. Definitely not something I need (as I have Mojo/Poly as my DAP) but I can see the point in the original question.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #217 of 1,460
You can stream Tidal to the M0 from your phone. :wink: I think that's the point @OscarPaz was making.
Yeah, just reading up on the M0 now. Definitely not something I need (as I have Mojo/Poly as my DAP) but I can see the point in the original question.
Yes, I had the idea that the M0 is bidirectional via bluetooth. So that would cover it acting as a receiver from your phone, if so desired.

I also have a Mojo and looked at the M0 as a candidate to act like the Poly. Especially after some firmware which enabled the M0 to become a digital transport, i.e:
BT in -> USB digital out
which I think it’s really cool!
Shame that I use an iPhone and limited to AAC...
(Poly does win on this one transferring lossless data using the WiFi hotspot connection).

First of all, it's more affordable. Admittedly the difference isn't much but for those on a tight budget, it might make all the difference.
Oh, I also forgot to mention that the UP2 has a built-in microphone and can be used for phone calls which the M0 cannot.
Ok, it’s cheaper (in my country I see the M0 only 10-15€ more than UP2 price on AE). And has the microphone and it’s also BT 5.0, whereas M0 is 4.1 (really don’t know if this makes such a huge difference, for some it will maybe).

And my question was precisely more about those new features you think make the UP2 superior to the M0. From that previous comment, it seemed their sound is mostly the same...

Jul 23, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #218 of 1,460

If you are person that only listens to music over streaming services, UP2 is simply better choice, as you will:

- Save 30 USD (almost 30%)
- Have access to more codecs (aptXLL can be crucial if you are big into videos, games and youtube)
- Have smaller and slimmer device (I know M0 is tiny, but UP2 is even better fitting into tight pockets)
- Have better and more stable signal (since UP2 is using more advanced Bluetooth solution)
- Have slightly better and more consistent battery life (as you are not dealing with other components and processes)
- Have full capabilities of BT headset for calls
- Have hassle free experience, since connecting UP2 is quicker and easier than with M0. And you are not dealing with any quirks in system.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 24, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #219 of 1,460
On my Mac it is always recognized. But you have to turn it on to get working. Also, sometimes there is no sound until I go to Audio setup and change sample rate. I have not yet updated firmware, but hope it will fix this.

Another issue with Mac — can not see battery level anywhere when connected via bluetooth.
And one more: in USB DAC volume control is enabled, but does not change anything.

Still had no chance to update firmware though.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #220 of 1,460
If you are person that only listens to music over streaming services, UP2 is simply better choice, as you will:

- Save 30 USD (almost 30%)
- Have access to more codecs (aptXLL can be crucial if you are big into videos, games and youtube)
- Have smaller and slimmer device (I know M0 is tiny, but UP2 is even better fitting into tight pockets)
- Have better and more stable signal (since UP2 is using more advanced Bluetooth solution)
- Have slightly better and more consistent battery life (as you are not dealing with other components and processes)
- Have full capabilities of BT headset for calls
- Have hassle free experience, since connecting UP2 is quicker and easier than with M0. And you are not dealing with any quirks in system.
Got the points.
Thanks for clarifying!

Jul 24, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #222 of 1,460
Hello @Shanling Is there somewhere I can download the user guide? Just need a quick reference for which color light indicaets which codec.... thanks.

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #223 of 1,460
Any ETA on the upcoming app for UP2? I can't ditch my BTR3 until you have a comparable app.........

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #224 of 1,460
Another issue with Mac — can not see battery level anywhere when connected via bluetooth.
And one more: in USB DAC volume control is enabled, but does not change anything.

Still had no chance to update firmware though.

Battery indicator is build-in feature of Qualcomn chip, not sure if we can change that.

Volume wheel should work with MAC with no problem. Please be sure to install firmware update.

In the upcoming companion app, will EQing be possible?

Not set yet.

Hello @Shanling Is there somewhere I can download the user guide? Just need a quick reference for which color light indicaets which codec.... thanks.

Thanks for reminder, will ask our IT to put it on download page.

Or simply save this picture:
b0683301613270f2db035cb53a5d289.png

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #225 of 1,460
Any ETA on the upcoming app for UP2? I can't ditch my BTR3 until you have a comparable app.........
I ditched my BTR3 for the UP2 and use the FiiO app with it. The EQ doesn't work but the UP2 doesn't need it. It sounds incredible but as a. Music Player, the FIIO app sends library and DNLA over to the Shanling and it works great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back