Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
May 17, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,246 of 1,460
Yes, a button is very much welcomed. But a sturdy strap that allow clip on too would be excellent. The leather case indeed serve more protection that's why i bought it along.. but with a clip on i can hang on almost everywhere in my clothes, a button will need more accessories like belt or something. Just my lazy thinking though. 😋

May 18, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #1,247 of 1,460
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new UP2 and it's poor battery life, I haven't used it for more than 2 hours at a time as I don't get out much in the lockdown here in Ontario. But I went for a long bike ride today and it went from 100% to dead in just under 6 hours. Extremely disappointed that such an expensive dac/amp can have such poor battery life. I bought this for my bike rides and now I will need to carry a charger with me too.

May 18, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #1,248 of 1,460
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new UP2 and it's poor battery life, I haven't used it for more than 2 hours at a time as I don't get out much in the lockdown here in Ontario. But I went for a long bike ride today and it went from 100% to dead in just under 6 hours. Extremely disappointed that such an expensive dac/amp can have such poor battery life. I bought this for my bike rides and now I will need to carry a charger with me too.
You can try to play around with its setting. For example choose less power hungry than LDAC, switch to lower gain.

If you think you have problematic battery, you can reach out to your seller for warranty.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 19, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,250 of 1,460
UP4 4LIF3!
Eheheh.

Regarding the battery, once again:
- Using "normal" impedance IEM and headphones (16-32 Ohm), single-ended, in SBC/AAC, low gain, normal listening volume, it lasts longer than you can account for;
- Same but with apt-x, expect to lose about less than one hour of battery life;
- Same but with apt-x HD, a little less;
- Same but with LDAC adaptative, some 2 hours less;
- Same but in medium gain, some 3 hours less;
- Same but in high gain/balanced high, some 4 hours less;
- Full sized high impedance (64-150 Ohms) headphones, LDAC/HWA, single-ended high gain (dual-dac, yellow)/balanced high gain (green), be lucky to get 4 hours.

The logical conclusion is that the UP4 offers a very large range of options regarding codecs, gain modes and volume selections, hence some of them will signify a low battery consumption and some of them will require much more battery availability.

Good - no, not good - wonderful news! is that the UP4 is able to power my most hungry full-sized headphones (except the AKG K340, logically - and even this, at full volume, starts to sound almost right, despite its 400 Ohms, a very low sensitivity and its 4 drivers).

Say, if I pick my Sennheiser HD565, at 150 Ohms, and use it in balanced high gain, with apt-x HD, with a good listening volume, the UP4 sounds wonderful, lush mids, a great presence in bass, sweet sweet treble, great dynamics. But I'll be lucky to get more than 3 hours out of it. Same thing for the K701.

If, in many cases, I take my PortaPro or SR60e in medium or low gain, in apt-x, and I usually get more than 7 hours or so. It still sounds fantastic, but it's a different system with different power requirements, hence, different battery life expectancy.

May 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #1,251 of 1,460
Eheheh.

Regarding the battery, once again:
- Using "normal" impedance IEM and headphones (16-32 Ohm), single-ended, in SBC/AAC, low gain, normal listening volume, it lasts longer than you can account for;
- Same but with apt-x, expect to lose about less than one hour of battery life;
- Same but with apt-x HD, a little less;
- Same but with LDAC adaptative, some 2 hours less;
- Same but in medium gain, some 3 hours less;
- Same but in high gain/balanced high, some 4 hours less;
- Full sized high impedance (64-150 Ohms) headphones, LDAC/HWA, single-ended high gain (dual-dac, yellow)/balanced high gain (green), be lucky to get 4 hours.

The logical conclusion is that the UP4 offers a very large range of options regarding codecs, gain modes and volume selections, hence some of them will signify a low battery consumption and some of them will require much more battery availability.

Good - no, not good - wonderful news! is that the UP4 is able to power my most hungry full-sized headphones (except the AKG K340, logically - and even this, at full volume, starts to sound almost right, despite its 400 Ohms, a very low sensitivity and its 4 drivers).

Say, if I pick my Sennheiser HD565, at 150 Ohms, and use it in balanced high gain, with apt-x HD, with a good listening volume, the UP4 sounds wonderful, lush mids, a great presence in bass, sweet sweet treble, great dynamics. But I'll be lucky to get more than 3 hours out of it. Same thing for the K701.

If, in many cases, I take my PortaPro or SR60e in medium or low gain, in apt-x, and I usually get more than 7 hours or so. It still sounds fantastic, but it's a different system with different power requirements, hence, different battery life expectancy.
I would like to pitch in here with my experience with UP4:
>Normal impedance iem (16-32 ohm), single ended, apt-x/apt-x HD, dual DAC boost mode, normal listening volume - around 8 hours and 45 min of total runtime.

I have never used it in low gain mode as the presentation takes a serious hit. High gain also does not reach to the level of dual DAC boost mode, and I of course want the best output always.

May 19, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #1,252 of 1,460
I haven't been actively following this thread and I'm having a hard time judging if you guys are praising or criticizing the UP4. So I'll just say: anyone using demanding, power-hungry headphones on a portable BT device designed primarily for IEMs and expecting stellar battery life is delusional!

May 19, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,253 of 1,460
I haven't been actively following this thread and I'm having a hard time judging if you guys are praising or criticizing the UP4. So I'll just say: anyone using demanding, power-hungry headphones on a portable BT device designed primarily for IEMs and expecting stellar battery life is delusional!
Exactly my point.

May 19, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,254 of 1,460
Grinning as I read this 😂

May 19, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,255 of 1,460
You can try to play around with its setting. For example choose less power hungry than LDAC, switch to lower gain.

If you think you have problematic battery, you can reach out to your seller for warranty.
I'm using aptx on low gain, I guess I will try to get warranty service, but I doubt I will have much luck from the aliexpress seller

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #1,256 of 1,460
The battery on the UP4 had been giving me headaches since I bought them 5 months ago. Battery level is inconsistent.
LED stays red even though I've been charging it for more than 3 hours already.
When it turns green and I use them for bluetooth connection, the battery level on android device says it's at 80%.
I'm either using a 5V/1A charger or USB direct to PC. Have you got any plans on fixing this?
Charging with 1 amp is weak, with a computer, very weak. Try a usb Anker IQ charger, they work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back