Shanling UA-2 DAC with iBasso IT01s and iPhone X - interference issues!?!
Jun 12, 2021 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jw2k_fr

New Head-Fier
Recently picked up a Shanling UA-2 DAC. It's pretty good, however, I'm having issues.

I'm listening with an iPhone X, iBasso IT01s IEMs and a replacement KB Ear MMC-X cable (no microphone)
(side note - the stock cable for the IT01s is JUNK. Music is lifeless, there's no snap and sparkle to the music, had me worried that I'd wasted my money and should have gone back to the IT00s which are excellent value but also have a JUNK stock cable. The replacement is a huge improvement, but more on that in a minute.)

Now, by default, the UA-2 DAC comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable to use for the USB-C socket on the DAC itself. I dug around and was able to find this USB-C to lightning adapter. It works - I get music out of the headphones and the quality is light years ahead of the non-DAC IEMs and stock cable. However, there are a couple of drawbacks. First, the adapter cable itself is very flimsy. I going to have to cover the fancy braid with heatshrink as it's not going to last more than a couple of months, even if I'm careful with how I handle it. The flimsiness of the individual threads means that there is no strength to the cable itself and something is going to get pinched or worn through before you can say "I hate badly made equipment, even if it is cheap Chinesium grade stuff".

Overall, the improvements to the quality of the music are significant. The frequency extremes are restored, there is much greater naturalness to acoustic instruments such as piano and drums. Music becomes MUCH more involving and satisfying with an immediacy and snap to leading edges of notes that grabs your attention without being fatiguing or bright. The cleaner leading edges and improved definition combine with the improved frequency response to add air and make the soundstage sound bigger and more lifelike. Conversely, instruments also seem better defined and more 'in focus'. How much of that comes from the $85 DAC and how much from the $20 cable? About half and half. maybe 60/40 in favor of the DAC. Some of the improvements overlap - you get similar improvements with the stock cable and the DAC as you do with the new cable and a lightning headphone adapter. However, the DAC goes further and makes a bigger difference, which it should do, given the price.

However...

The BIGGEST issue I have with the whole setup is some electronic noise which is apparent whether music is playing or not. 95% of the time the noise floor is very low and there is no hiss, chirping or any other kind of electronic noise present. But... occasionally, whether music is playing or not, I can hear a quiet but significant, random, high pitched, electronic chirping or warbling in the background. I don't know whether this is caused by the DAC or the USB-C to lightning adapter. It could be down to the adapter being badly wired, or it could be some kind of RF interference which the DAC is picking up if there is a lack of shielding. So, I decided to listen to the UA-2 DAC connected to the USB-C port on the back of my PC with the included Shanling USB-C to USB-C jumper cable. A couple of hours later I've heard none of the interference without the lightning adapter, so I have to assume the issue lies with the adapter.

So, I would really like to try and get a recommendation for a replacement USB-C to lightning adapter cable which doesn't have this issue. Anyone else using the UA-2 with a similar setup and able to make a recommendation?!?!

Also looking for recommendations for changing the gain etc. for the UA-2 - no manual in the box, couldn't find one online, and the 'Eddict Player' app they recommend does not recognize my DAC. I've posted separately here.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 2
After further investigation, I have found that the interference appears to be coming from RF emissions from the iPhone which are picked up by the DAC.

I listen almost exclusively during my commute, especially while on the subway. I have found that if I bring the DAC up against the back of my iPhone I can hear noise over the top of the music - like an electronic chirping which sounds like it equates to RF noise generated either by the cell service antenna or the WiFi antenna. If I move the DAC away from the phone, the noise gets much quieter. If I put the phone into Airplane mode, the noise disappears after the WiFi and 4G shut down.

Can anyone else confirm that they get the same result? I guess mine could be a one off, but it should be easy for others to confirm whether or not they see the same behavior.

Thanks for any assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back