Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Aug 10, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #16 of 1,354
When you put in cellphone features, sound performances will suffer horribly. That is due to the interferences, parasitic losses and so on…I especially do not want to have a ring tone while I am listening to my music lol
Plus 5G is a power hog.
I agree the thought of a call interrupting the song would be terrible.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #17 of 1,354
Is the M9 going to have the same interchangeable sockets like M8? I hope not because it is the reason why I sold my M8 because I didn't wanted to have to carry that extra case with me

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #18 of 1,354
Is the M9 going to have the same interchangeable sockets like M8? I hope not because it is the reason why I sold my M8 because I didn't wanted to have to carry that extra case with me
Agreed !!! Also seeing about the M30 that does extremely well with Nutube, what will the M9 have ? By far Cayin and AK will offer them on the newer players

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #19 of 1,354
Shanling didn't mention anything about M9 having tubes but definitely it is something that would be nice. One thing is for sure, the next few months are going to bring flagship daps from Shanling, Cayin, Astell &Kern and the Ibasso ( their limited edition max), I am really curious which one is going to attract more attention

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #22 of 1,354
That is why it is going to be literally the successor !!! Lol
Yes but they could have made an M8 with these specs. The chips and platform were already mainstream in 2020 (actually well before then, Android 10 and Snapdragon 665 are a few years old now). It's the product strategy I question, not the player. The M9, at first glance, looks great.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #23 of 1,354
Welp, I'm a minimalist so can't really see the point of a 2k amoled screen here. It's an audio player, not intended for multimedia, but maybe these days people want a do-it-all device.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #25 of 1,354
Welp, I'm a minimalist so can't really see the point of a 2k amoled screen here. It's an audio player, not intended for multimedia, but maybe these days people want a do-it-all device.
I think it makes no sense too. Meanwhile, the Shanling app still has no gapless play.

Aug 10, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #26 of 1,354
I think it makes no sense too. Meanwhile, the Shanling app still has no gapless play.
I think it makes a lot of sense, but it all depends what you want from a DAP, so it won't suit everyone. I do all my wireless file management, ocassional multimedia, and dedicated streaming/local hi-res music listening from my DAP, so I want a modern Android platform with a 1080P+ display, fast WiFi, networking support and good ergonomics. If all you want is a small player with limited features and a minimalist approach, there are .any other options on the market. This just won't be one of them.

PS. With open Android you really want to be using UAPP, not the stock player. Be it Shanling, FiiO or HiBy, UAPP is leagues ahead of all of them in features (including gapless), UI, speed and SQ, not to mention streaming integration. The M9 should be able to run UAPP very smoothly indeed, which solves any player issues you might have with Shanling.

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #28 of 1,354
I think it makes a lot of sense, but it all depends what you want from a DAP, so it won't suit everyone. I do all my wireless file management, ocassional multimedia, and dedicated streaming/local hi-res music listening from my DAP, so I want a modern Android platform with a 1080P+ display, fast WiFi, networking support and good ergonomics. If all you want is a small player with limited features and a minimalist approach, there are .any other options on the market. This just won't be one of them.

PS. With open Android you really want to be using UAPP, not the stock player. Be it Shanling, FiiO or HiBy, UAPP is leagues ahead of all of them in features (including gapless), UI, speed and SQ, not to mention streaming integration. The M9 should be able to run UAPP very smoothly indeed, which solves any player issues you might have with Shanling.

I actually don't have a Shanling player but was thinking in buying the M6 Pro 21. Now it's better keep it on hold since they will use a new SoC and Android 10 for future DAPs.

I just mentioned the Shanling Music App because lots of users complain the lack of gapless play, actually it's not acceptable these days. I use the Walkman App with the ZX507 and Neutron or UAPP with the DX160.

Regarding the AMOLED display, since the smartphone market has moved to these tech, probably it's cheaper for Shanling to have access to them now if they buy big quantities.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #29 of 1,354
For people who mention UAPP, do you find it sounds very different when using UAPP compared to other apps? I certainly do.

I know UAPP uses its own audio driver. There's almost a unique "UAPP sound", if that makes sense, but I do feel so when using UAPP on different sources. I think if you are playing through android (other apps) you are using Shanling's implementation of android audio driver which can explain why it sounds different and might be closer to the intended "Shanling house sound".

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #30 of 1,354
For people who mention UAPP, do you find it sounds very different when using UAPP compared to other apps? I certainly do.

I know UAPP uses its own audio driver. There's almost a unique "UAPP sound", if that makes sense, but I do feel so when using UAPP on different sources. I think if you are playing through android (other apps) you are using Shanling's implementation of android audio driver which can explain why it sounds different.
We don’t know , no one has the M9 yet LOL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back