Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #1,021 of 1,352
I haven't directly compared but I think the M9 screen is the most vivid I've seen. More so than eg the DX300 or 300MAX.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #1,022 of 1,352
Once you have colour accuracy and superb contrast as is available on the iBasso, you cannot go back. Some years ago on this site I was complaining about Sony's Z2 which I owned at the time. It had a very slow SOC implementation, I was attacked from all quarters. Today it's a given or required that a super powerful SOC is standard. Once you experience high performance be it a powerful SOC, screen or iem, you cannot go back. Each to their own I know.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,023 of 1,352
Once you have colour accuracy and superb contrast as is available on the iBasso, you cannot go back. Some years ago on this site I was complaining about Sony's Z2 which I owned at the time. It had a very slow SOC implementation, I was attacked from all quarters. Today it's a given or required that a super powerful SOC is standard. Once you experience high performance be it a powerful SOC, screen or iem, you cannot go back. Each to their own I know.
The M9 is superb in that regard. You won't be disappointed. Not all high-end players get it right. For example the N8ii screen is much too warm. Almost as if the night shift mode is on.

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #1,024 of 1,352
The M9 is superb in that regard. You won't be disappointed. Not all high-end players get it right. For example the N8ii screen is much too warm. Almost as if the night shift mode is on.
Since you own the M9, can you tell me how hard the screen is, in other words is it glass or plastic and if plastic is it tough?

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #1,025 of 1,352
Since you own the M9, can you tell me how hard the screen is, in other words is it glass or plastic and if plastic is it tough?
Looks like glass to me, but there is a screen protector applied (by the previous owner), so it's hard to tell.

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #1,027 of 1,352
While the M9 build is impeccable, the wobbling volume wheel is clearly disappointing after the M8 which had rock solid wheel with good resistive strength.
But I don't think it's the cause.

I am running Qobuz and never had this issue so far...
I was about to return my iBasso Dx240 today due to this very issue with the wobbling wheel. To some degree I have lost faith in the longevity of the player due to the fear of the wheel coming off. I don't understand the logic here, these things are not cheap, why not spend an extra dollar here to strengthen the stem. I was planning to return my ibasso and pick up the M7. If this has the same issue I would not be a happy camper. I love the Ibasso player to bits, excellent sound quality and design sans the wheel issue. How can Shanling get it right with a previous player and not now, very bizarre. I have the same experience as a previous poster noted, the wheel feels fine with clicks going forward although feels somewhat mushy when lowering the volume. It would seem that the same manufacturer is supplying the wheel mechanism to all.
Does anyone else have concerns with their wheel or is just me?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,028 of 1,352
Just landed, very impressed! Beautifully packaged, OTA firmware update and up and streaming Deezer and Tidal within minutes.

I have noticed that the volume isn't consistent between apps (ie. Have to increase the volume of the player like 5-10 when in Tidal to match the volume from deezer, is this normal? Both sound fine when volume matched and the bit rates are appropriate/same between apps with the exception of mqa)

20220425_122429.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,029 of 1,352
Figured it out, the "normalize volume" setting was on in Tidal, turned that off and the volume is consistent between the apps.

Speaking of volume, the way some of you described the volume wheel, I thought it'd be like a dime tacked on to the side of the player and hanging by a thread. It's not that bad lol

Apr 25, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,030 of 1,352
Just landed, very impressed! Beautifully packaged, OTA firmware update and up and streaming Deezer and Tidal within minutes.

I have noticed that the volume isn't consistent between apps (ie. Have to increase the volume of the player like 5-10 when in Tidal to match the volume from deezer, is this normal? Both sound fine when volume matched and the bit rates are appropriate/same between apps with the exception of mqa)

20220425_122429.jpg
Jealous. Mine is coming in Wed. Please update us if you have MQA issues with Tidal. I think the excessive "unfolding" of MQA breaks DAPS. Why can't we just unfold like twice instead like 16 times? What kind of secret requires this much unfolding. :)

Apr 25, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,031 of 1,352
Figured it out, the "normalize volume" setting was on in Tidal, turned that off and the volume is consistent between the apps.

Yeah, I'm not sure why Tidal has this on by default. I think I should put it into our FAQ article on web, dealing with this too often.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 29, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,032 of 1,352
I waited a few days before posting my thoughts to let the initial honey moon phase pass.

The M9 is pretty phenomenal. The construction is solid like my Leica. I haven't notice significant wheel wobble. I do wish it can be bigger. Be nice to have a large volume knob on the top now you saved all this space by having a swappable headphone socket. The headphone socket is cool but I prefer to have all 4 built-in. Unless this provides more space saving and cleaner pathway. Speaking of clean pathway. The M9 is pitch black. The other DAPs that has this level of background is the Cowon P1 which has no wifi. All the latest FIIO and Ibasso TOTL DAPs I have tried all hiss a little with my ES60. The OS and screen finally feel like a modern smartphone. There is no lag, and I may even stream some videos on there.

Sound wise, great resolution. The impedance is right on with my ES60. Most previous DAPs needed Ifi IEMatch to get the best sound. M9 is audiophile neutral with very organic presentation. Sound stage is wide and tall. Instrument separation and layering otherworldly. I have found instrument separation to be one of the most important qualities separating good and bad DAPs when there is good enough power to drive the headphones.

I haven't had any crash with native Tidal MQA (knock on wood). I skip tracks all the time. I hope this remains the case. The 2nd LED screen showing bitrate is surprising premium touch. Hopefully Shanling keeps up the firmware updates. They are still updating my M6 Pro AKM version, so the track record is excellent.
20220429_125955.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,034 of 1,352
Apr 29, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #1,035 of 1,352
I waited a few days before posting my thoughts to let the initial honey moon phase pass.

The M9 is pretty phenomenal. The construction is solid like my Leica. I haven't notice significant wheel wobble. I do wish it can be bigger. Be nice to have a large volume knob on the top now you saved all this space by having a swappable headphone socket. The headphone socket is cool but I prefer to have all 4 built-in. Unless this provides more space saving and cleaner pathway. Speaking of clean pathway. The M9 is pitch black. The other DAPs that has this level of background is the Cowon P1 which has no wifi. All the latest FIIO and Ibasso TOTL DAPs I have tried all hiss a little with my ES60. The OS and screen finally feel like a modern smartphone. There is no lack, and I may even stream some videos on there.

Sound wise, great resolution. The impedance is right on with my ES60. Most previous DAPs needed Ifi IEMatch to get the best sound. M9 is audiophile neutral with very organic presentation. Sound stage is wide and tall. Instrument separation and layering otherworldly. I have found instrument separation to be one of the most important qualities separating good and bad DAPs when there is good enough power to drive the headphones.

I haven't had any crash with native Tidal MQA (knock on wood). I skip tracks all the time. I hope this remains the case. The 2nd LED screen showing bitrate is surprising premium touch. Hopefully Shanling keeps up the firmware updates. They are still updating my M6 Pro AKM version, so the track record is excellent.20220429_125955.jpg
Yes it is such a lovely DAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back