Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Feb 22, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #706 of 1,352
Well my fellow m9 owners on the first day now after restarting 5 times in a row audio still plays but I cant hear anything. I did do the full master reset prior and that worked out.

My experience thus far I am hoping I just got a bad unit because essentially my order of experiece was:

1. Turned it on and wrote overall positive impressions on this thread
2. Then once a while need to reset device to hear songs being played with the occasional reset 2 times or 3 times consecutively for it to work
3. Reading the WHOLE thread for second time and came to conclusion to try a master reset
4. Sometimes it would work fine turn off device. Later turn back on device and song plays but not audible once again.
5. And finally reaching to now after before resetting once for songs to be audible, now even after resetting 5 times not fixing issue. I have a feeling doing another master reset will fix but I am too burnt out to do that after all of the above.

I am hoping I just have a bad unit. This is my first day experience and mine was bought brand new. Also when the songs being played not being audible when scrolling volume button the volume numbers and the bit rate numbers get mashed up and produce kind of like a "jsgdheb2772" kind of word/number in the second small screen.

A shame as the player interface is truly top notch. Hope I get this sorted soon, I always get annoyed the most in this hobby when spending totl dollars and running into these situations. Hoping it was just bad luck and a bad unit.

Messaged Shanling rep to see how to proceed. No exxageration on first day I have resetted this device at least 20 times within 6 hour span. Sometimes with one time fixing issue, sometimes 3 times fixing issue, sometimes master wiping reset fixing issue (done this just once) and once again now to x5 times without issue fixed.

The sound from the dap IS amazing though. I would say the signature is sort of between the sp2k copper and sp2k stainless steel sigs if that makes sense. It is a very playful yet accurate sig. I like it. That is why it is all the more frustrating. If I am to expect and just continue to sit and wait for software update for basic functions to work for this tier of price paid, that would be bit upsetting for sure.

Update:
I believe I got a faulty device. Bad luck for me.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #707 of 1,352
Well my fellow m9 owners on the first day now after restarting 5 times in a row audio still plays but I cant hear anything. I did do the full master reset prior and that worked out.

My experience thus far I am hoping I just got a bad unit because essentially my order of experiece was:

2. Then once a while need to reset device to hear songs being played with the occasional reset 2 times or 3 times consecutively for it to work
3. Reading the WHOLE thread for second time and came to conclusion to try a master reset
4. Sometimes it would work fine turn off device. Later turn back on device and song plays but not audible once again.
5. And finally reaching to now after before resetting once for songs to be audible, now even after resetting 5 times not fixing issue. I have a feeling doing another master reset will fix but I am too burnt out to do that after all of the above.

I am hoping I just have a bad unit. This is my first day experience and mine was bought brand new. Also when the songs being played not being audible when scrolling volume button the volume numbers and the bit rate numbers get mashed up and produce kind of like a "jsgdheb2772" kind of word/number in the second small screen.

A shame as the player interface is truly top notch. Hope I get this sorted soon, I always get annoyed the most in this hobby when spending totl dollars and running into these situations. Hoping it was just bad luck and a bad unit.

Messaged Shanling rep to see how to proceed. No exxageration on first day I have resetted this device at least 20 times within 6 hour span. Sometimes with one time fixing issue, sometimes 3 times fixing issue, sometimes master wiping reset fixing issue (done this just once) and once again now to x5 times without issue fixed.

The sound from the dap IS amazing though. I would say the signature is sort of between the sp2k copper and sp2k stainless steel sigs if that makes sense. It is a very playful yet accurate sig. I like it. That is why it is all the more frustrating. If I am to expect and just continue to sit and wait for software update for basic functions to work for this tier of price paid, that would be bit upsetting for sure.

Update:
I fully wiped device for 2nd time and now it works again. Turned device off and back and it does not work anymore. Same chain above.
That is crap that you are having so many issues. @Shanling really need to step in and help you out here. Either that or look at exchanging it for another unit.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #708 of 1,352
I think that Shanling released the M9 before solving all the software/firmware issues. I can at least listen to my music on mine , but have to use my M6 Pro 21 if I want to do Tidal.

Feb 22, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #709 of 1,352
The thing is playing tidal offline despite it being great feature, playing from uapp produces better sound. Any ideas on that end? Is it possible to play music offline via uapp?
Have you turned off loudness normalisation on the Tidal app? I note many people say that UAPP sounds better than the Tidal app but perhaps they haven’t switched off this setting. It’s on by default and it makes everything sound very flat and dull.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #710 of 1,352

Update:
I fully wiped device for 2nd time and now it works again. Turned device off and back and it does not work anymore. Same chain above.
Sounds like the device is faulty. Never experienced anything like that in the several weeks I’ve owned M9. Hopefully @Shanling can resolve this quickly for you.

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #711 of 1,352
Sounds like the device is faulty. Never experienced anything like that in the several weeks I’ve owned M9. Hopefully @Shanling can resolve this quickly for you.
Agree with @Damz87 . Having also the M8, I will say that the M9 is a dream to use. :)

Feb 22, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #712 of 1,352
I think that Shanling released the M9 before solving all the software/firmware issues. I can at least listen to my music on mine , but have to use my M6 Pro 21 if I want to do Tidal.
Well, it is difficult when new versions of apps come out. Unfortunately, for android apps there is no as stringent testing as there is before the Apple Store allows apps to be listed. I have no issues running Apple Music, Tidal, QQ Music, KKBox on it...

Feb 22, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #714 of 1,352
I am hoping it is just a faulty device, reached out to both Shanling and Musictek. This also makes me paranoid a little for a replacement device given 1st day experience but will update regardless.

After master resetting for the 2nd time, I turned device off and on and it doe not work. Then reset three times then it does. Bit frustrating thus far. Like a girl teasing you with shirt but not giving it up.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #715 of 1,352
With the A18t I usually use the m20 module but with the M9 DAP when it does work for me, I am preferring the M15 very balanced.

This leads me to conclude that the dap is erring on the neutral but slight tinge of warmer sound.

Still awaiting Shanling rep to see what's up, musictek put me in contact with them via email.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #716 of 1,352
How did you get the bit rate to display correctly? It still does not for me...

I go settings and first choose hi res driver

Then I go internal hires audio to choose bit perfect mode as on

That should be it correct? I still get "PCM 705.6 khz" when playing MQA file.
M9 supports 16x MQA playback, so 705.6 or 768kHz are correct for MQA files.

I think we all suffer from this.
Not that I have found a solution, but I'm currently trying a few things, maybe some of you guys can feedback on their results as collective data.

1. Play downloaded Tidal MQA files in offline mode.
2. Turn off WIFI when listening to MQA files.
3. Do not change songs or browse the playlist while playing MQA songs. Let the MQA file play out before doing it.
4. Always actively close the Tidal APP before turning off the player each time.
5. Reboot the system if it crashes.

These are by no mean solutions, but I hope it will make the experience better so we can focus on the sound quality this player produces.

The real solution of course is to wait for Shanling software team to come out with a new firmware for us. SURELY MQA decoding can be mastered......we see this being implemented to cheap USB dongles without problems.

By the way, I want to know...with all these frequent crashes and rebooting, is it damaging to the player itself?

We are reaching out to Tidal directly to try to fix the issue and improve the performance of MQA playback..

That is crap that you are having so many issues. @Shanling really need to step in and help you out here. Either that or look at exchanging it for another unit.

Our Dealer and us are in contact with Frank and will solve this

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 22, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #717 of 1,352
M9 supports 16x MQA playback, so 705.6 or 768kHz are correct for MQA files.

We are reaching out to Tidal directly to try to fix the issue and improve the performance of MQA playback..

Our Dealer and us are in contact with Frank and will solve this
Ok thank you, email received appreciate the quick response. Hope we can sort it out.

Update: Issue resolved, cheers to one of the best sounding daps out there.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #718 of 1,352
I've had the M9 for a few weeks and I'm really enjoying it. It's sounding great with both the Sennheiser IE900's and HD800S, and I've had no problems at all, but I only listen to songs on the micro SD card.

I wasn't that keen on the leather case provided so I bought a silicone case from Aliexpress. The new case makes it easier to press the side buttons and turn the volume wheel. There are also raised lips on top to provide better protection for the screen.

I also got bought an iPhone 13 tempered glass protector for the screen.

IMG_26022022_101619_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
IMG_26022022_101601_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
IMG_26022022_101513_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
IMG_26022022_101320_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
IMG_26022022_101528_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_26022022_101551_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
    IMG_26022022_101551_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #719 of 1,352
Indeed, M9 pairs beautifully with IE900, in fact my favorite source for the Sennheiser...

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #720 of 1,352
I've had the M9 for a few weeks and I'm really enjoying it. It's sounding great with both the Sennheiser IE900's and HD800S, and I've had no problems at all, but I only listen to songs on the micro SD card.

I wasn't that keen on the leather case provided so I bought a silicone case from Aliexpress. The new case makes it easier to press the side buttons and turn the volume wheel. There are also raised lips on top to provide better protection for the screen.

I also got bought an iPhone 13 tempered glass protector for the screen.

I can vouch for that new silicone case...bought mine from an eBay seller less than 2 weeks ago and just received it today. Tolerances are tight so it fits snug and secure, and it's surprising how much better the M9 feels in the hand without that oddball leather wrap and cutouts encroaching on the controls. The only real "issue" is that you can't change out the headphone socket at all while the case is on.

Will have to look at the iPhone screen protector (or something similar)...I was wondering how long it would take for someone to find one that was a close-enough fit. Did you take the factory protector off when you applied the new glass screen protector, or did you just stack them? Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back