Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Dec 12, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #469 of 891
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 12, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #474 of 891
Yes, I do not understand why my Ultra is downloading way slower than the speed delivered to my 5K Verizon... irritating...
I'm going on 12 hours to get the latest download finished, via Wifi. It keeps "pausing" and I have to do a restart each time from where it left off at the time of the pause. And internet speed is around 200 mbps.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #475 of 891
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #476 of 891
ShanlingM6U_1.JPG

ShanlingM6U_2.JPG

ShanlingM6U_3.JPG

ShanlingM6U_4.JPG

I would like to share some impressions of my @Shanling M6 Ultra (M6U), which just arrived today. First, non-sound aspects:
  • I'm more used to the futuristic, robotic styling of Fiio, so the elegant packaging of Shanling surprised me greatly. I brought the whole box to my wife and she also thinks that it's a luxurious item that's worth the amount I paid (I greatly reduced the number, btw)
  • Nothing interesting in the box. I like the catalogue with other products for your to drool all over. It reminds me of the Lego sets years ago.
  • The device is smaller but thicker than what I expected. The same thickness of my Topping G5, but slightly shorter because it does not have the metal "ears" and the volume knob at the top.
  • The Android feels ... alright. Not very snappy but not laggy. My old Xiaomi MiA1 feels snappier. It's likely due to the delayed and mis-touched caused by the screen protector.
  • The screen is also alright. A bit less saturated than my old Xiaomi phone and of course far away from iPhone, but it's not bad at all.
  • The metal frame feels very good in the hand.
  • Button placement is excellent for one-handed operation (if you are right-handed).
Now, the sound. I must say that I finger-crossed and took a deep breath when I pressed the play button with my TGXear Serratus (300ohm), listening to the 3rd movement of Vivaldi's Summer. To my relief, M6U sounds excellent. It matches the resolution and staging of my Topping G5, but offers a noticeably different tonality. To put it simply, M6U is warmer and "rounder" than G5. It's not like adding 3dB via EQ, of course. The change is subtle and only reveals itself strongly when A/B back to back with G5. If you are used to G5, you will hear that M6U is warm. If you are used to M6U, you will hear G5 as too cold.

My other concern was power, as M6U has noticeably less power output than G5. But my worry was unfounded. M6U drives Serratus easily at low gain, only around 40% volume with my classical recordings.

M6U does have some quirks:
  • It has the strange tendency of pushing the centre image higher, literally. In some of my cello tracks, I wonder why the cellist is so high up comparing to usual. It might have something to do with the tuning, as Shanling UP4 also projects strange soundstage sometimes.
  • It gets warm when I play CD quality FLAC using the stock player.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #477 of 891
ShanlingM6U_1.JPG

ShanlingM6U_2.JPG

ShanlingM6U_3.JPG

ShanlingM6U_4.JPG

I would like to share some impressions of my @Shanling M6 Ultra (M6U), which just arrived today. First, non-sound aspects:
  • I'm more used to the futuristic, robotic styling of Fiio, so the elegant packaging of Shanling surprised me greatly. I brought the whole box to my wife and she also thinks that it's a luxurious item that's worth the amount I paid (I greatly reduced the number, btw)
  • Nothing interesting in the box. I like the catalogue with other products for your to drool all over. It reminds me of the Lego sets years ago.
  • The device is smaller but thicker than what I expected. The same thickness of my Topping G5, but slightly shorter because it does not have the metal "ears" and the volume knob at the top.
  • The Android feels ... alright. Not very snappy but not laggy. My old Xiaomi MiA1 feels snappier. It's likely due to the delayed and mis-touched caused by the screen protector.
  • The screen is also alright. A bit less saturated than my old Xiaomi phone and of course far away from iPhone, but it's not bad at all.
  • The metal frame feels very good in the hand.
  • Button placement is excellent for one-handed operation (if you are right-handed).
Now, the sound. I must say that I finger-crossed and took a deep breath when I pressed the play button with my TGXear Serratus (300ohm), listening to the 3rd movement of Vivaldi's Summer. To my relief, M6U sounds excellent. It matches the resolution and staging of my Topping G5, but offers a noticeably different tonality. To put it simply, M6U is warmer and "rounder" than G5. It's not like adding 3dB via EQ, of course. The change is subtle and only reveals itself strongly when A/B back to back with G5. If you are used to G5, you will hear that M6U is warm. If you are used to M6U, you will hear G5 as too cold.

My other concern was power, as M6U has noticeably less power output than G5. But my worry was unfounded. M6U drives Serratus easily at low gain, only around 40% volume with my classical recordings.

M6U does have some quirks:
  • It has the strange tendency of pushing the centre image higher, literally. In some of my cello tracks, I wonder why the cellist is so high up comparing to usual. It might have something to do with the tuning, as Shanling UP4 also projects strange soundstage sometimes.
  • It gets warm when I play CD quality FLAC using the stock player.
Thanks for sharing! I have had mine about a month now and it does get warm. The case helps alleviate that to a large degree. I listen with over ears… Sennheiser 58X and Hifiman Ananda’s. I am using low gain on these and don’t go above 30 most of the time! Merry Christmas!

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #479 of 891
How do I mount the DAP on Mac?
In the pull down menu, you click on USB MODE button to turn on the DAC mode. And then you connect the DAP to Mac as usual. I just used it for a Zoom call. It's kind of a waste of battery longevity for this use case though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back