Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Nov 13, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #376 of 895
And also...

IMG_0240.jpeg

Other side

IMG_0239.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #377 of 895
I did the same green player + brown case combo. Looks sharp!

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #378 of 895
Indeed it does, indeed does. :) And I like how clicky the buttons are on the player. Andrew, @MusicTeck is a stand-up guy, too, awesome service!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #379 of 895
What is the max Micro SD card size you can use?

Current standard of cards should work up to 2TB.

@Shanling will the Ultra update to Android 11?

Uncertain at this time.

I have Gigabit Internet and fast WiFi, and yet, my internet on my Ultra is in the high teens. Any idea why? I have AT&T Gigabit internet. @Shanling

RH

With some routers and WPA2, we are facing issues with speed. If you can let me know what router are you using, I will add it to our list to check.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 14, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #381 of 895
Why is it when I want to download Qobuz albums offline, the downloads stop when the screen goes off, but resume when I turn then Ultra back on? Why can't the downloads continue in the background, when the screen is off? @Shanling

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #383 of 895
My review of the M6 Ultra:

The good stuff:
  • Very handsome player, great build finish. It's large, but feels better in the hand than similarly-sized Fiio M11 Plus.
  • Very solid performance; Snapdragon 665 + Android 10 + 3.5Gb of RAM is a good combo for streaming apps.
  • Volume knob w/ 100 levels of gradation gives good control over playback volume.
  • Exceedingly low noise floor; more silent than any other DAP I have, on SE or BAL.
  • Very good standby battery life -- leave this alone for a week and it'll still be ready to play.

The bad:
  • Stock music app doesn't support gapless playback, and it fades in the first ~50ms of each song so you might miss early notes. Truly bizarre for an enthusiast audio product. (Fortunately, Poweramp runs beautifully on the M6 Ultra.)
  • Cannot use a custom Android launcher, and the stock launcher is very light on "features" -- it doesn't even have an app drawer, so all apps sit strewn on the home screen.
  • Cannot use screen pinning to lock the player to a single app (avoids having to enter a password every time you wake the device to change music). Well, you can use screen pinning -- but there's no way to get out of it without rebooting the device.
  • Those last two issues are a result of Shanling using non-standard Android navigation buttons, which apparently they use to enable their stock app's "Pure" mode. Given what I think of the stock app, I think it's not a good trade.
  • Battery life is pretty mediocre -- just 9 hours claimed on BAL.

If having gobs of power (720mW @ 32 ohms) and near-zero noise floor, the M6 Ultra nails that. Some of the Android choices I find pretty frustrating, however, and will keep me on my cheaper, less powerful Hiby.

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #387 of 895
Picked one up based on that sale price. Very good value
I picked up one also from MusicTeck. It wasn't listed as used and it came shrinkwrapped so I thought I was getting a new one but the screen protector was full of someone else's use evidence :frowning2: I was able to clean it up and it has no issues, just a bit of an odd experience... This is a very nice DAP for the money. Great value.

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #388 of 895
Nov 20, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #389 of 895
I had bought mine on Amazon for 870.00. I sent mine back with all the accessories and am debating whether to buy again for the lower price. I liked the DAP but I have to admit it is easier to just use my iPhone with my Qudelix 5K on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing this info.
I had some pricey desktop equipment (Terminator II and HiFi Rose RS150B). To my surprise DAPs are approaching the quality and capability of these large animals. AND they are much easier to move around (or sell). A lot may depend on your use case (office, exercising, critical listening, etc.) and also the music genre. I listen to mostly string quartet music so what I am looking for in sound is quite different from someone interested in say electronic or metal. When you buy used equipment you can always sell it for a similar price resulting in a very low cost way to trial different audio pieces.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #390 of 895
I had bought mine on Amazon for 870.00. I sent mine back with all the accessories and am debating whether to buy again for the lower price. I liked the DAP but I have to admit it is easier to just use my iPhone with my Qudelix 5K on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing this info.
I had been using the iPhone with the Qudelix 5K, or with an apple camera adapter into a iFi DAC 2, into Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk IEMs, and both (Quedelix and iFi DAC) sounded really good. But then I bought the M6 Ultra (on MusicTek) and it raised the sound quality and enjoyment even further, and by a large margin. So, not trying to 'influence' your decisions, but just wanted to give that bit of insight into the DAP vs iPhone experience. Seeing as I always have my iPhone with me, I will continue to use the Quedelix>Moondrop setup when 'on the go'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back