Shanling M6 Ultra - 4x AKM AK4493S DAC, Snapdragon 665, Android 10 DAP
Jul 31, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #31 of 873
Sold! Where do I insert the money? :relaxed: Please include upgrades to Android 11 and beyond to take it over the top.

Anyone releasing a new DAP without Snapdragon 660 (or better), Android 10 (or better) and 3 GB ram (or better) is crazy. IMHO.

I just bought the Hiby R5 Saber a few months ago due to random Fiio M11 problems and while the R5 saber sounds fantastic, the tiny screen (font size at max) , UI sluggishness (looking at you Tidal), Wifi and random Bluetooth issues are driving me crazy.

I just needed a Fiio break and this is what I get. More issues. Honestly, I've never tried Shanling DAPs, but I am ready due to these nice specs. Plus AKM warmth is my jam.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #32 of 873
Sold! Where do I insert the money? :relaxed: Please include upgrades to Android 11 and beyond to take it over the top.

Anyone releasing a new DAP without Snapdragon 660 (or better), Android 10 (or better) and 3 GB ram (or better) is crazy. IMHO.

I just bought the Hiby R5 Saber a few months ago due to random Fiio M11 problems and while the R5 saber sounds fantastic, the tiny screen (font size at max) , UI sluggishness (looking at you Tidal), Wifi and random Bluetooth issues are driving me crazy.

I just needed a Fiio break and this is what I get. More issues. Honestly, I've neever tring Shanling DAPs, but I am ready due to these nice specs. Plus AKM warmth is my jam.
I have an account number if you're interested. PayPal works just fine too!
Seriously though, I've found Shanling entry level daps to n be great, especially compared to similar priced Hiby devices. Where Shanling shines and often exceeds, is with their mid fi daps from my experience. Less expensive than others flagships, but very competitive when it comes to sonic performance. They offer a great product at a reasonable cost imo. Their house tuning with AKM chips fits my preferences very well, and sound is of most important value to me.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #34 of 873
Correct, only these two colors.

That’s a pity. From the pictures both the colors seem to me too light to match the black m6 ultra. The black case of the m8 seemlessy matched the player color and style. And I loved the shanling cases for m8 and m7.

My two cents and of course IMHO

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #36 of 873
I have an account number if you're interested. PayPal works just fine too!
Seriously though, I've found Shanling entry level daps to n be great, especially compared to similar priced Hiby devices. Where Shanling shines and often exceeds, is with their mid fi daps from my experience. Less expensive than others flagships, but very competitive when it comes to sonic performance. They offer a great product at a reasonable cost imo. Their house tuning with AKM chips fits my preferences very well, and sound is of most important value to me.
I went from the FiiO X5III (circa 2017) to the M6 Pro 21 with the Dual ESS Sabre ES9068AS DAC in 2021. I can't compare to the AKM but it is a really nice sounding DAP, vivid, punchy and detailed.

The Pro 21 was an exponential move forward from the FiiO and the player is still impressing me with its high level of performance in all aspects even with its relatively aged Snapdragon 430. I realize that its Achilles heel is going to be Android 7.1.1 with no hope of upgrade but I'll just hold on as long as I can.

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #37 of 873
I’ve been considering the m7 and dx240. I know the m6 ultra might be considered a step down, but a quad akm setup is interesting. I like that emerald green a lot, wish it came with a black case. I don’t really like the m3x style (or it’s sound), but it’s not a deal breaker.

The reviews I’ve read of the ua3 and the sem 4 (astell se180 insert) which both use the 4493s are good. Great musicality, soundstage, imaging, and bass layering/definition. Low noise levels and power consumption too. In particular the sem 4 (dual 4493s) is an improvement on the sem 2 (dual 4497eq). I know implementation plays a big factor, but I bet the m6 ultra is an upgrade to the OG m6 pro even though power is similar. We’ll see though, I hope it’s good

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #38 of 873
I actually tested the Fiio M11 Plus Ltd (AKM) and Fiio M11 Plus (ESS) against my old OG M11 using Tidal and BT in my car. (I was looking to upgrade)

The BASS on Fiio M11 Plus (ESS) was on par with my OG M11.

The Fiio M11 Plus Ltd (AKM) wasn't far behind in the BASS region, but lacked a small amount of energy and roll off.

The Hiby R5 Saber sounded exactly like my OG M11 straight out the box. (However the slow UI, weak CPU and RAM are a pain)

@Shanling Can we purchase the M6 Ultra as yet? Aliexpress link?

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #39 of 873
1% off. Funny. :relaxed:

1659375163460.png

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #44 of 873
SHANLING Official Store

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804402376131.html

No FREE Case included? EDIT. Nevermind. :relieved::alien:

@Shanling If I order today will I get it before 8/30/22? (WAITS....)

We do not run this store, it's just a Chinese dealer that's designated as Official store for Aliexpress.

If you have any questions about their offer, I can only recommend to reach out directly to them through Aliexpress system.

Only place we sell directly outside of China is our small store on Amazon US, but that one doesn't carry portable players for now. For anything else we recommend to go with your local Shanling distributor.

Will an M6 PRO silicone case fit the M6 Ultra? Are they the same dimensions? EDIT: Looks like NO. 127* 77*18 mm

No, they are different shapes.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #45 of 873
We do not run this store, it's just a Chinese dealer that's designated as Official store for Aliexpress.

If you have any questions about their offer, I can only recommend to reach out directly to them through Aliexpress system.

Only place we sell directly outside of China is our small store on Amazon US, but that one doesn't carry portable players for now. For anything else we recommend to go with your local Shanling distributer

When will it be available outside of aliexpress? Do these aliexpress sellers have inventory already? Linsoul or hifigo haven’t made any announcements, and I haven’t seen any announcements on local us distributors.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back