Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 15, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #646 of 1,112
Neat review. Extra points for using the word "bung" correctly (I think.)

Anyone else finding that mounting the SD card from the M5 is basically unusable on a Mac? The included card reader is great but based on my experience so far, the M5's USB performance isn't quite there on OSX.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #649 of 1,112
Great review! 
Informative and yet easily relatable...keep it up!

As to your impressions on the M5, how does it compare to the Opus#1?

Thanks - much appreciated. This is only from memory as the Opus tour was a good few months back, but the Shanling is a little warmer and more forgiving than the Opus sound wise. The Opus is a little cooler and more detail oriented from memory - some of that will be down to the overall coolness of the sound in comparison, as I don't think technically there is a huge difference. In terms of build, both are excellent but the M5 is far smaller and more pocket friendly. The M5 also has more driving power. UI is just different, neither are spectacular in that respect.

Hope that helps!

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #650 of 1,112
  Just posted my impressions up in the Head Gear section - link below if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-m5-hifi-lossless-dsd-portable-player-grey/reviews/16854

Still getting to grips with how to describe a DAP compared to headphones so certainly won't be the most insightful review out there, but if anyone has any feedback or suggestions, as always they sill be very gratefully received.

Excellent review!

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #651 of 1,112
I've been living with this player a few days now and am really enjoying it. My only real issue is that there doesn't seem to be any way to display the track number out of total track numbers on the play screen. I find myself constantly going back to the folder to see how many songs are coming up. Is there any way to fix this that I am missing or am I going to have to get used to being surprised?

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #653 of 1,112
  I've been living with this player a few days now and am really enjoying it. My only real issue is that there doesn't seem to be any way to display the track number out of total track numbers on the play screen. I find myself constantly going back to the folder to see how many songs are coming up. Is there any way to fix this that I am missing or am I going to have to get used to being surprised?

Yeah, as someone who works in UX and design for a living, I agree the M5's GUI could use a lot more polish. There are little bugs like how the play button sometimes doesn't start paused music when the screen is off but it does always pause playing music. Or how the GUI doesn't remember whether you arrived at the Now Playing screen directly from the main menu or indirectly via the File Browser or My Music menus. Lastly, the center button having no function on the Now Playing screen seems like a wasted opportunity. That said, I freely admit I got this for the audio performance, and on that front I'm not disappointed.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #654 of 1,112
I've had my M5 for a few weeks now after purchasing on Massdrop. I'm very impressed with the sound produced by this player.  Initially it seemed a touch bright in the upper mids (? - I'm not very good in labeling the frequency range) but that seems to have calmed down. Overall, it's now very smooth "analog" sound, detailed w/o it being in your face, balanced with a touch of warmth, nice sound stage (though more wide than deep).  Good size for travel. UI, while primitive, is intuitive and easy to use. Seems well built though I wonder how long the control wheel will last. But at this point it's one of my favorites.  No regrets so far with this purchase - enjoying it greatly.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #655 of 1,112
ok, so I have the M2 and have been really liking its SQ. So upgraditis has set in and wondering if getting the M5 would be worth it. I have a DX80 and love its sound. I reluctantly have been considering the Fiio X5ii due to the double card capacity and decent reviews on sound quality. I don't like the GUI from the Fiio (I had the X3ii and sold it shortly thereafter). But I am looking to augment what the Dx80 delivers. I am really smitten with the M2 and just curious if I'll hear an appreciable difference. Is it worth the extra cost? Using a mix of BA and dynamics IEMs.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #657 of 1,112
@PopZeus: Is this your first Chinese DAP? I've tried many and found M5 to have one of the best GUI.

The only other DAP I had was the DX90. And obviously the M5's GUI is way nicer than iBasso's so I'm not really complaining, just nitpicking it because I love everything else about it. Honestly, I don't mind a slightly quirky GUI -- in a way it's more appropriate for a hardcore audio company to focus their attention elsewhere.

Speaking of which, I take back what I said about pairing preferences. The PM-3 is nice and all but a tad too mid-centric to be much fun. On the other hand, the Marshall Modes sound FANTASTIC through the M5. It isn't just how the M5 kinda helps keep the Mode's sub-bass in check, I just never expected to get this open of a soundstage with any affordable IEMs. I'm amazed at how much fun and refinement they deliver for a pair of sub-$100 earphones.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #659 of 1,112
Thanks - much appreciated. This is only from memory as the Opus tour was a good few months back, but the Shanling is a little warmer and more forgiving than the Opus sound wise. The Opus is a little cooler and more detail oriented from memory - some of that will be down to the overall coolness of the sound in comparison, as I don't think technically there is a huge difference. In terms of build, both are excellent but the M5 is far smaller and more pocket friendly. The M5 also has more driving power. UI is just different, neither are spectacular in that respect.

Hope that helps!

Yup, that helps a plenty as I have only the Opus#1 to audition and not the M5. I prefer the Opus1 sound compared to Cayin N5, AK70, DX80 & 90 and perhaps even the i5. Hence my leaning has been towards Opus1 but the size is a push factor towards M5 for me...so...your feedback will likely be the last straw on the camel's back and break my wallet in that regards...=p

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #660 of 1,112
  Try the PM-3 with the M5's EQ set to +4 for the 31 & 62Hz bands and +2 for the 16kHz band. You may change your mind.

Thanks! I think I'll try that next time I bust out the PM-3s. I'm assuming the Oppos take to EQing well... Normally, I stay away from EQs, but the M5's software equalizer seems like it a bit more listenable than the DX90's so it does seem worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back