Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #631 of 1,112
Jackpot77: Of course some may prefer the altered sound signature due to higher Output Impedance, but most people's expectation is that the IEM's frequency response shouldn't change due to source. A little coloration due to different sources is OK, but I've measured pretty big differences with MULTI-BA IEM due to Output Impedance.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #632 of 1,112
Just thought i'd say hi as i've just joined the M5 club, ordered my M5 from eglobalcentral yesterday.

Lets see how long it takes to get to the UK.

I read the whole thread and i'm puzzled why it's not more popular given the good reviews it gets ?

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #633 of 1,112
I just got my M5 two days ago and am really enjoying it. It is a big step up from my Fiio X1/E11 setup and it's nice to have this much power from an all in one solution. My only issue so far is that the album art seems to take a bit to show up. Other than that, really enjoying this player.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #634 of 1,112
  I just got my M5 two days ago and am really enjoying it. It is a big step up from my Fiio X1/E11 setup and it's nice to have this much power from an all in one solution. My only issue so far is that the album art seems to take a bit to show up. Other than that, really enjoying this player.

definitely m5 is superior to x1. congrats on your new toy!

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #635 of 1,112

I read the whole thread and i'm puzzled why it's not more popular given the good reviews it gets ?

I wonder if it just takes time for some gear (or brands) to catch on, considering how expensive this hobby is. People tend to stick with what works until the shiny new thing gains notoriety? All I know is I was really ready to move on from my previous DAP and this was the only thing that checked my boxes.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #636 of 1,112
Nice DAP, so nice
14311387_1150404408387370_6024381725404655861_o.jpg

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #638 of 1,112
I wonder if it just takes time for some gear (or brands) to catch on, considering how expensive this hobby is. People tend to stick with what works until the shiny new thing gains notoriety? All I know is I was really ready to move on from my previous DAP and this was the only thing that checked my boxes.

I agree, I knew I wanted the Cirrus Logic CS4398, and a Muses chip. The Shanling M2 was the only player that had that combination. I knew instantly it was the one for me. I was right once I had it in my hands playing music.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #640 of 1,112
One thing I'm not too sure about the M5-- is there a downside to using the high gain mode for IEMs and the PM-3? I'm not sure I can tell the difference between low gain mode turned up and high gain mode with a lower volume. Maybe my hearing IS going!

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #641 of 1,112

Has anyone ran into this issue? It happened once on my M5, and has been consistently happening on my M2. I tried reverting to older FW. Unfortunately, it seems to be a reoccurring issue.

Haven't seen that before. Shanling?

One thing I'm not too sure about the M5-- is there a downside to using the high gain mode for IEMs and the PM-3? I'm not sure I can tell the difference between low gain mode turned up and high gain mode with a lower volume. Maybe my hearing IS going!

Use the setting that sounds best to you. If in doubt, I'd use low gain for IEM and high gain for the planars.

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #642 of 1,112

I'm using low gain for my PM-3's. IMHO no need to go to hi gain for the PM-3. The M5 seems to have plenty of oomph for them on Lo.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #643 of 1,112

I'm using low gain for my PM-3's. IMHO no need to go to hi gain for the PM-3. The M5 seems to have plenty of oomph for them on Lo.

I've got Shanling M5 and Oppo PM-3, for a good sound and dynamic With 
    - low gain : volume level 85 (under 70 is too weak)
    - High gain : Volume level 70

What is your level on low and High ?

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #644 of 1,112
I seem to hover anywhere between 55-70 with the PM-3s on low gain. Maybe I'm not as deaf as I thought! For some reason I felt like 70 was too high but the if the volume maxes out at 120, then 70 is still closer to the middle than it is to the top. Man, other than the SD card issues (newer, less irritating one popped up this AM), I love this device.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #645 of 1,112
Just posted my impressions up in the Head Gear section - link below if anyone is interested:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shanling-m5-hifi-lossless-dsd-portable-player-grey/reviews/16854

Still getting to grips with how to describe a DAP compared to headphones so certainly won't be the most insightful review out there, but if anyone has any feedback or suggestions, as always they sill be very gratefully received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back