Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #287 of 1,112

So, my experience has to let you know that even though I just stated the above half-review above, that is with my IEMs, and personal preferences in terms of sound signature. Depending on the Earphones you use, it may bring out better qualities from the DX80 over the M5, or over the Aune M2 and of course, vice versa. The statements I made are what I've noticed with the IEMs I consistently use and have used for months, so I know exactly what they should sound like with specific songs, as I've listened to them hundreds if not thousands of times. As a general rule though, the Wolfson WM8790 is warm, Sabre ES9018 is on the bright to analytical side of the spectrum, while the Cirrus Logic CS4398 and the AKM AK4490 is somewhere in between. Once again, that is probably an over generalization, but for most players, that's pretty true. So depending on your earphones, you may want to choose a Warm player to darken up overly bright headphones like the Grado SR80's or the Dunu DN2000's or for earphones that are too dark such as the Sony XBA-4's you may want to give a Bright signature player to neutralize everything out. So at the end of the day, choose a player that will compliment your equipment you currently own, or else you may find whichever player you choose to be too bright, too dark or just right, and it will be due to the synergy with the earphones more than the player characteristics.

I purchased mine through Bright Audio, I had a fantastic buying experience. I usually am an avid Amazon Prime purchaser, as I've purchased all my previous DAPs from Amazon, I too was a little hesitant to purchase using AliExpress. However, saving over $100 was well worth the hesitation now that I have it in my possession.

Last comment I have.. You made the statement "do you guys think it will perform the same against AK380?" That seriously all depends on the music you listen to, the earphones you use, the file quality you are playing, and how close are you really paying attention to every aspect of the music. If it's a quiet house, you have full size cans, and aren't distracted by anything else. Jst simply listening to music, then yes, you will probably notice the difference between the AK380 and the M5, or any other player for that matter, but is that price justified, that is something only you can answer. After listening to the M5, I can completely understand paying a premium if it was $500 or more. With the AK380, you're paying for the exclusivity factor of being able to say you are one of the few to own one, and the rest of the price is due to the perceived value we hold in Astell & Kern players. We just hear the name Astell & Kern and our ears melt just thinking about how caramelized the sound probably is. We have it in our heads that Astell & Kern and Audio Perfection are synonymous. And as I stated earlier, they do, but you're talking about owning the high end earphones to go along with it, because are you seriously going to own an Astell & Kern AK380 and use some $16 Xiaomi Hybrids? Don't get me wrong, they sound good, but if you're spending $3,000 on the player, clearly, you care more about your audio than most people do even their pets, or some 2nd hand cars. So you better be buying a pair of earphones that are worthy of the AK380's price point. Or you can save yourself a ton of money, and pay half ($1,600) for the AK300 that is about to be released. It is supposed to sound pretty close.

Sorry, one more thing, I think there already is a couple of videos on the Aune M2, and it depends on which variant you buy, I believe there are 3 different versions. So be sure to compare them with the matching m2 closest matching the price point.

Thanks for the information! Maybe I'll try to choose M5 instead over DX90. I'm I guess it'll have a good synergy with FLC8s. :)

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #289 of 1,112
My bank originally declined the transaction, I assume as it was transacted in China. I called them, and they authorized the purchase amount. What problem did you have?

I made the purchase 2 days ago, and got a message yesterday from the vendor asking if I was OK with them shipping on June 12 as June 9 to 11 was a holiday over there. They said they would include a little gift to make up for it and apologized.

So far everything seems on the up and up.

I got same message that they were on holiday till 6/12.  Seems legit

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #290 of 1,112

This babe is really good gents.. 
atsmile.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #293 of 1,112
Anyone tried new firmwares 1.1 and 1.2 ?
Any ipmrovements ?
I couldn't download and try them, it's Chinese.. 
mad.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #295 of 1,112

Hi,

The new M5 fireware 1.2 is a driver for fireware, not a new firmware. The current firmware is 1.10 (28.04.16).

In order to have your computer recognise M5 as DAC, you have to first properly install the driver, and secondly switch to DAC mode on the device.

If you use Windows 10, the current driver M5 USB Driver (23.03.16) cannot be installed due to the Windows safety control.
You can install it through changing the Windows settings.

Here are the steps:
1. Enter settings in the start menu
2. Enter the last item, update and safety
3. Enter recovery
4. Select Immediate Reboot under Advanced Reboot
5. Windows will be reboot, and you will see blue screen and some items
6. Click Troubleshooting
7. Click Advanced Settings
8. Click Booting Settings
9. Cancel the compulsory driver signature requirement, and reboot

Then you can install the driver. Do not forget to uninstall all of the previous attempts.

The above instructions were provided by Shanling Customer Support.
They also assured me that the driver issue with the fixed soon with a new release.

Kind regards

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #296 of 1,112
and what is that "fireware" exactly? -_- that 1.2 is new firmware, just not released for public yet. probably only for some testing purposes and not meant for DL outside of china I guess.

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #297 of 1,112
Hi,

The new M5 fireware 1.2 is a driver for fireware, not a new firmware. The current firmware is 1.10 (28.04.16).

In order to have your computer recognise M5 as DAC, you have to first properly install the driver, and secondly switch to DAC mode on the device.

If you use Windows 10, the current driver M5 USB Driver (23.03.16) cannot be installed due to the Windows safety control.
You can install it through changing the Windows settings.

Here are the steps:
1. Enter settings in the start menu
2. Enter the last item, update and safety
3. Enter recovery
4. Select Immediate Reboot under Advanced Reboot
5. Windows will be reboot, and you will see blue screen and some items
6. Click Troubleshooting
7. Click Advanced Settings
8. Click Booting Settings
9. Cancel the compulsory driver signature requirement, and reboot

Then you can install the driver. Do not forget to uninstall all of the previous attempts.

The above instructions were provided by Shanling Customer Support.
They also assured me that the driver issue with the fixed soon with a new release.

Kind regards

Thank you for the great response. Could you post a link to the driver for the m5?

I can't seem to find that. My computer(not windows 10) wasn't able to automatically install the driver for it when I plugged it in.

Also,the little USB included in the m5 box. Is that the driver? Sorry for dumb question. Recieved it late after work last night. Didn't have much time to read up on it. Back to work now..

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #298 of 1,112

You are welcome!

Here is a direct link for the M5 firmware 1.10 (28.04.2016)

http://www.shanling.com/Source/山灵M5 1.10版固件升级包(内附升级固件及说明).rar

It would be easier if you use a download manager, my favourite for Firefox is DownThemAll.

Regarding the confusion with the fireware/firmware, I made an enquiry to Shanling.

Kind regards

Jun 13, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #300 of 1,112
Hmmm. Seller on eBay has M5 for $399 but $30 in shipping. I suppose if I get desperate I can try that....at least I would be protected by eBay and PayPal. I still am not sure why aliexpress hates me, shy of providing my birth certificate and social I'm not sure what else I could have done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back