Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 31, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #213 of 1,112
Shenzhen Audio has a page for the case, but it isn't up for sale yet...

LINK

I also think some of the sellers at AliEx offer a case with theirs or a free pair of iem's
wink_face.gif

May 31, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #214 of 1,112
I bought from Bright Audio too a few days ago. As far as I could find it does not include the case.

Umm that's not good for us..
Shanling must help us to protect our devices at least giving a silicone sleeve case..
Too many producers sends a case with their product..

May 31, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #215 of 1,112
with Bright Audio you can order the M5 with cover but it costs around 18 USD more. as for me the cover is not necessary and it is in the way when using the wheel so its less comfortable. also the original cover is not very good looking, but this one looks pretty nice - though it looks like it will also be in the way when turning the wheel.

May 31, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #217 of 1,112
  with Bright Audio you can order the M5 with cover but it costs around 18 USD more. as for me the cover is not necessary and it is in the way when using the wheel so its less comfortable. also the original cover is not very good looking, but this one looks pretty nice - though it looks like it will also be in the way when turning the wheel.

Is $18 one fits to M5, cause it's for M2's..
Also there is an option for M5 and it's $35, no wayyyy..

May 31, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #218 of 1,112
??? M5 with cover costs 395 USD with Bright Audio. you just need to click on the icon next to black / silver when choosing the option you want. and I dont think its the cover for M2 - that one looks differently and has smaller screen so it would not fit. 

May 31, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #219 of 1,112
  ??? M5 with cover costs 395 USD with Bright Audio. you just need to click on the icon next to black / silver when choosing the option you want. and I dont think its the cover for M2 - that one looks differently and has smaller screen so it would not fit. 

Oops I skipped it,damn..
I wrote an email to buy it separately..
Thanks buddy..

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #220 of 1,112
I went through all posts and it is a great source for understanding this otherwise elusive DAP.

Anyone has AK Jr and could give a personal opinion between these two?

Where I live I do not have access to check and buy, so i try and understand how people express sound. My consideration set was limited to AK Jr, Fiio X5, Fiio X7 and someone suggested to look in to Shangling M5 as well.

Thank You

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #221 of 1,112
antz123: I've extensively auditioned X5ii and X7 (with AM1 module) and would recommend M5 over either for full-bodied sound with good balance between musicality and technical prowess and overall ergonomics. That's just my two cents, though. Someone else might just as easily recommend X5ii or X7. Depends on what you're looking for.

If I were thinking of a comparable mid-level DAP, I'd consider Cayin N5.

If I wanted an Android DAP, I'd strongly urge you to wait for Cayin and Shanling Android DAPs before making your decision. And I do mean strongly...

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #222 of 1,112
@nmatheis

I do see X7 as like a step in right direction. May be X7 G2 would be the fine player. All 3 different amp modules is sort of  too much on my budget.  Plus read some glaring UI issues some faced so i am leaving X7 out.

X5 G2, has bit of familiarity for me as I had X5 G1, though that scroll wheel is a pain and not best way to go about the list, if you end up putting two full micro SD and have to search around for something particular

I would love to try Cayin or Shanling, Shanling is there on Aliexpress on attractive rates, with internal storage n microsd cards it makes a good proposition i feel. Cayin i havent checked honestly. Though just by aesthetic of things M5 looks better than Cayin. (shall go through your Cayin review - just found it )

Only one left along with Shanling then is A&K Jr. Almost similar price points, many have found A&K Jr to have lively and richer sound. You have spoken about similar balance and richness in M5's case. So thinking about one of the two :).....  If you ever tried A&K Jr it would be good to hear your views.

And thank you for replying

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #223 of 1,112
i haven't tried AK Jr yet. twister6 has tried all the DAPs you mentioned except M5. PM him :wink:

Oh yeah, M5 is solely dependent on scroll wheel for navigation. If you're not a fan of scroll wheels, you might not like M5. I just use folder browsing plus highly organized folder structure to make finding music quicker.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #224 of 1,112
I just pulled the trigger on the M5.. I should have it in about a week, but I will force my self to not open it till June 21. It's supposed to be my birthday gift. So Yayy, Happy birthday to me!! Lol..
When I get it, I can answer it it's truly better than the Ak Jr, I know the M2 was already very close, in some aspects, I prefer the M2 over the AK Jr, but the Touchscreen is nice to have.. Other than that, sound is very similar, M2 and Jr both have shallow soundscapes, however, they are very defined to a specific width, for IEMs, it's perfect.. In order to get a little more clarity and details out of the Jr, it's best to drop the bass a couple spots.. So it makes for not as full of a sound as the M2. So using the Jr with an amp like the Fiio E12A, it makes for a perfect combo, since you can turn the Bass boost on, which boosts the perf ft amount for the Jr. Same basic statement can be said about the M2, with the exception of needing to turn the Bass down.. It just sounds great Flat or on the "Metal" EQ. Depends on what type of music you're listening to.. Other than that.. For the Price, honestly the M2 is a way better buy than the Jr. If the M5 is everything the M2 is only more power, details, deeper soundstage, then it will truly be something I will be in heaven with for Years to come. Best birthday present ever.. Keeping my fingers crossed for that..

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #225 of 1,112
I just pulled the trigger on the M5.. I should have it in about a week, but I will force my self to not open it till June 21. It's supposed to be my birthday gift. So Yayy, Happy birthday to me!! Lol..
When I get it, I can answer it it's truly better than the Ak Jr, I know the M2 was already very close, in some aspects, I prefer the M2 over the AK Jr, but the Touchscreen is nice to have.. Other than that, sound is very similar, M2 and Jr both have shallow soundscapes, however, they are very defined to a specific width, for IEMs, it's perfect.. In order to get a little more clarity and details out of the Jr, it's best to drop the bass a couple spots.. So it makes for not as full of a sound as the M2. So using the Jr with an amp like the Fiio E12A, it makes for a perfect combo, since you can turn the Bass boost on, which boosts the perf ft amount for the Jr. Same basic statement can be said about the M2, with the exception of needing to turn the Bass down.. It just sounds great Flat or on the "Metal" EQ. Depends on what type of music you're listening to.. Other than that.. For the Price, honestly the M2 is a way better buy than the Jr. If the M5 is everything the M2 is only more power, details, deeper soundstage, then it will truly be something I will be in heaven with for Years to come. Best birthday present ever.. Keeping my fingers crossed for that..

I appreciate the update on the M2 sounding that close to a Jr. Sledge
bigsmile_face.gif
I'll also have a M5 in hand any minute now and if it rips my M2 a new one it's a done deal and will probably be the base for my TOTL rig
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back