Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 18, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #166 of 1,112
At either price, it's a no brainier IMHO. Seriously, I love letting people try out my Shanling gear because almost everyone loves it and quite a few end up buying.

I'll try to get a video up of the GUI before the drop is over. In short, it's very good for a non-touchscreen device.

As far as sound, it's full, warm, and detailed. I've got access to a lot of DAPs and keep coming back to a few... Cayin N5, Lotoo PAW Gold, SOUNDAWARE Esther Analog, and Shanling M2 & M5. All are great sounding DAPs, but I feel Shanling M5 at $400 is probably the best bang for your buck out of the lot.

What would I like to see that would improve the M5 experience? Well... I'd like to see two mSD slots and 2.5mm Balanced Out.

What does M5 do right? Sound, GUI, form factor, plug n play smartphone DAC/AMP.

If anyone wants to jump on Drop and has questions, please feel free to ask in this thread, PM me, or ask on MD.
:beerchug:

May 19, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #167 of 1,112
Looking to buy my first dap to go along with the Nova drop I joined....really anxiously awaiting your gui video...this player sounds like a real winner...just want to see how it operates. I originally wanted to buy the AK jr but this seems to be a better buy. You do great work nmatheis

May 19, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #168 of 1,112
Got email from Advanced Mp3 Player,they said they would look into selling the M5,also from Shanling, saying they are looking at a couple of potential retailers, so hopeful it will soon be available in the Uk

May 19, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #169 of 1,112
I see MassDrop is running the M5
wink_face.gif

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/shanling-m5?utm_placement=12&referer=PR3LLV&mode=guest_open&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202016-05-19&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional

beerchug.gif

May 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #171 of 1,112
Yes. Two more needed for the lowest price. I hope they reach that and we get some more Shanling converts!

Yep, you know I love baby brother
bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

May 19, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #174 of 1,112
  How's their reputation? Every time I consider using them I see tons of negative reviews.

I don't know who or how they are doing their ordering but I've been buying from AliEx for over two years and have had zero issues period. They are secure and on the up and up as far as I'm concerned. That is a good price and you don't have to wait on the drop, I ordered my M2 off AliEx and it even came with a free set of decent iem's for $239
wink_face.gif

May 19, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #177 of 1,112
But how would I get it repaired if it went wrong, I live in Uk

Well the seller is not going to offer support usually but if it were me I would contact Shanling direct or even through these threads. Now with that said I think Shanling makes a fine product and I see many years of flawless service out of mine.

May 19, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #179 of 1,112
Podster,I have been emailing Shanling & they have kindly replied to me to say they are in discussions with potential distributors in the Uk,I have also recommended them to Advanced Mp3 Players & will also get in touch with Richer Sounds,hopefully one of these companies will have a service centre for Uk customers

May 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #180 of 1,112
Podster,I have been emailing Shanling & they have kindly replied to me to say they are in discussions with potential distributors in the Uk,I have also recommended them to Advanced Mp3 Players & will also get in touch with Richer Sounds,hopefully one of these companies will have a service centre for Uk customers

Good work Tran, that would be great for our brother's in the UK
biggrin.gif

Rocya, I'm sure the M5 will drive the 7XX's just fine but if you want full potential you may need an amp. I can tell you the M2 drives my K553's like no tomorrow. Can't speak for the Alpha Dogs as I've no experience with them
redface.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back