Shanling M3
Jul 22, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #79 of 567
Hi levonhelm and jxhyde!

Thanks for replying! I'm hoping we can get some discussion going around what "must have" features are missing that Shanling can include in future firmware revisions and/or future DAPs. I'd also love it if Shanling would join us in the discussion like Fiio and Cayin representatives do in their respective threads.

What firmware are you guys running? The M3 I got in for review has a lockscreen option that allows you to skip / scan through tracks and adjust volume with the screen locked.

And levonhelm: With tag-based browsing do you get Artist -> Songs without an Albums layer in between? Stuff like that is why I always end up using Folder Browsing and my own organization system with Chinese DAPs.

I set up my folders like this: Artist -> Year Album -> Songs. If it's a multi-disc album, I just add [CD1], [CD2], etc. after the album name. This structure is easy to automate with software like MP3Tag and gives me all of my albums in order of the year of release from earliest at the top of the list to most recent at the bottom of the list.

:beerchug:

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #80 of 567
i will like the possibility to have some other option on upsampling (like the AP 100)

I haven't tried the AP100 yet. Do you find having different upsampling options significantly enhances your listening experience?

I found SRC ON made an audible difference on the M3, smoothing out the top end a bit - but I always went back to the more raw, visceral sound of SRC OFF.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #81 of 567
Hi @levonhelm and @jxhyde!

Thanks for replying! I'm hoping we can get some discussion going around what "must have" features are missing that Shanling can include in future firmware revisions and/or future DAPs. I'd also love it if @Shanling would join us in the discussion like Fiio and Cayin representatives do in their respective threads.

What firmware are you guys running? The M3 I got in for review has a lockscreen option that allows you to skip / scan through tracks and adjust volume with the screen locked.

And @levonhelm: With tag-based browsing do you get Artist -> Songs without an Albums layer in between? Stuff like that is why I always end up using Folder Browsing and my own organization system with Chinese DAPs.

I set up my folders like this: Artist -> Year Album -> Songs. If it's a multi-disc album, I just add [CD1], [CD2], etc. after the album name. This structure is easy to automate with software like MP3Tag and gives me all of my albums in order of the year of release from earliest at the top of the list to most recent at the bottom of the list.

beerchug.gif

Artist ----) Album -----) songs  it's my logical need 
I think the folders mode is not a good or a complete  answer cause you cannot read all the tracks of an artist without an intervention.

About the lock when it is on "off " you can't use the joystick i would like using the scroll for the volume.

The firmware is the 2.0

beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #83 of 567

Artist ----) Album -----) songs  it's my logical need 
I think the folders mode is not a good or a complete  answer cause you cannot read all the tracks of an artist without an intervention.

About the lock when it is on "off " you can't use the joystick i would like using the scroll for the volume.

The firmware is the 2.0

beerchug.gif

Not sure what you mean here.  I use folder browsing on the 3 Chinese DAPs I own, and I don't need extra intervention - unless you're talking about maintaining basic file organization.  I don't consider that an intervention but something we should all be doing when we rip CDs or after purchasing music.  Clean up the tags and then use tagging software to organize it on your hard drive.  After that, you can basically drag and drop folders over to your mSD card without worrying about scanning the card.  You do need to scan the card to use some of the tag-based browsing features like Play All and Favorites, but those aren't something I typically use.

The FW I used allowed two lock screen modes:
  • Complete lock down, disabling the joystick and wheel while the screen was locked.
  • Skip tracks and volume adjustment are allowed while the screen is locked.
  • ​Do you want a third lock mode option that only allows volume adjustment?

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #85 of 567

The FW I used allowed two lock screen modes:
  • Complete lock down, disabling the joystick and wheel while the screen was locked.
  • Skip tracks and volume adjustment are allowed while the screen is locked.
  • ​Do you want a third lock mode option that only allows volume adjustment?

i dont understand the interest of 2 option cause in my pocket it s impossible to use
i only would like to have 1 or 3 

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #86 of 567
i dont understand the interest of 2 option cause in my pocket it s impossible to use
i only would like to have 1 or 3 

Option 2 comes in handy if the M3 is in a bag or on your desk / table. On those cases, you can conserve battery life by navigating with the screen off.

But when using option 2 in my pocket, I experienced random track skipping when the M3 was in my pocket. It wasn't constant but happened when I bent at the waist, putting up or down pressure on the joystick. I never once had a random volume adjustment, though. So I can see where a third option would work well for pocketability.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #87 of 567
Option 2 comes in handy if the M3 is in a bag or on your desk / table. On those cases, you can conserve battery life by navigating with the screen off.

But when using option 2 in my pocket, I experienced random track skipping when the M3 was in my pocket. It wasn't constant but happened when I bent at the waist, putting up or down pressure on the joystick. I never once had a random volume adjustment, though. So I can see where a third option would work well for pocketability.

Understood your point of view about option 2

so just need a third one cause i have the same pb you describe using it in my pocket 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back