Shanling M3
Apr 4, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #31 of 567

Have had my M3 for a couple of weeks now and have listened to it a little here and there but I am home for a few weeks now and am using it more often 
and I must say that it keeps getting better. Right now I am listening to it paired with a Cayin C5 headphone amp and HiFiMan HE400i headphones and it is very good.
I am listening to Chris Standing "Groovalicious" and it is superb! This combo seems to have a very good synergy and is very good with guitar music.
I also have a Cayin tube headphone amp and solid state headphone amp and a Shanling hybrid headphone amp and they are all very good devices. These brands
don't seem to get much press here on this forum but they are great pieces of gear and perform very well. This is the reason I purchased my M3 long before there were 
any previews published for it as I had experience with their headphone amp and knew that it was a safe bet to go with the M3 and have been very happy with it so far.
Seems I still have the the 1.1 Beta version of the firmware and would love to update to version 2.0 but I am quite an idiot when it comes to this sort of thing. Can anyone help me with step-by-step instructions on how to do this? Must I remove the SD card before I start or leave it in? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 567

firmware 2.0 UI is much improved and nice too. Some how the volume goes a bit lower, now I has set it to 22 default volume level instead of 20.

unzip the downloaded zip file, place the M3.fw file in the root directory of the SD card, boot up the M3, goes to Setting select "System upgrade" will do the upgrade

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #33 of 567

firmware 2.0 UI is much improved and nice too. Some how the volume goes a bit lower, now I has set it to 22 default volume level instead of 20.

unzip the downloaded zip file, place the M3.fw file in the root directory of the SD card, boot up the M3, goes to Setting select "System upgrade" will do the upgrade

Thanks for the advice. Got the firmware download ok and it's on my desktop as a VLC file. I downloaded this to my sd card and tried the update but it didn't work. Don't know what I did wrong?
I am a real dummy when it comes to computer software etc., that's why I have an iMac, perhaps thats the problem. This crap is driving me mad!!!!! I hate f*%$king updates! 

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #34 of 567

Thanks for the advice. Got the firmware download ok and it's on my desktop as a VLC file. I downloaded this to my sd card and tried the update but it didn't work. Don't know what I did wrong?
I am a real dummy when it comes to computer software etc., that's why I have an iMac, perhaps thats the problem. This crap is driving me mad!!!!! I hate f*%$king updates! 

Hope this help, It should be a".fw" extension file and size is 59,891KB:
m3.fw

These steps are what I did :
-copy this file to the SD card root directory,
-start M3 with the SD,
-goes to Setting "gear" icon,
-select "system upgrade"
-depress the knob to start  the process

it will start the upgrade bar running. You will need to restart it after the upgrade complete.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #35 of 567

Thanks a ton for all your help. Finally got it!!! Yay! Much nicer UI IMHO. 
Now to upload some new music from my iTunes library. Enjoying my T90 headphones now with the M3/C5 combo. Lovely. Cheers from Oz and Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #36 of 567
Thanks a ton for all your help. Finally got it!!! Yay! Much nicer UI IMHO. 
Now to upload some new music from my iTunes library. Enjoying my T90 headphones now with the M3/C5 combo. Lovely. Cheers from Oz and Happy Easter to all who celebrate it.

No problem , glad it worksfo you !
how do you find the sound quality , do you hear any diff?

Happy Easter weekend from Singapore !

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #37 of 567

It seems to sound better but that could be due to a number of reasons, namely1, placebo effect,2, using better headphones than before or, 3, more burn-in time on the M3 and the C5.
Anyway, whatever the reason, I am enjoying it very much and am well pleased with my decision to purchase these devices. I will be using these devices a lot more in the future. Enjoy the music. Cheers.

Apr 4, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #38 of 567

Where did you get the leather cover for your M3? Looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back