Shanling M3
Oct 3, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #212 of 567
nmatheis, since you have access to many DAPs, including Cayin N5.
So is it N5 or M3 for you (on sound)? Interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #214 of 567
I had the chance to audition the M3 (using fidue a83) for an hour or so.
I really like how it sounded with many genres (much more engagging than my other daps include alien, x3ii) as well as the snappy UI and control knob.
Not sure if I should still hear out the N5 first (or the M2). :xf_eek:

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #215 of 567
I had the chance to audition the M3 (using fidue a83) for an hour or so.
I really like how it sounded with many genres (much more engagging than my other daps include alien, x3ii) as well as the snappy UI and control knob.
Not sure if I should still hear out the N5 first (or the M2). :xf_eek:

M3's pretty rare. Where'd you sneak a listen?

I'm betting M2 will sound quite similar to M3 and have an even better software and hardware UI, but it'll have less driving power than M3 and the Cayin N5.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #216 of 567
M3's pretty rare. Where'd you sneak a listen?

I'm betting M2 will sound quite similar to M3 and have an even better software and hardware UI, but it'll have less driving power than M3 and the Cayin N5.

Lmue has a very nice little cozy shop in Singapore. :D

M3 didn't strike me as anything worth spending my $ during my first initial 15 mins or so. But the more time I spent listening, I found it to be 'doing everything right' for me, the very engagging sound and the simple snappy UI.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #217 of 567
It's funny you mention the spending time with it part. I completely understand. It's not a DAP you immediately fall in love with. It takes a good long listen or two to acclimate. Those who plug in, don't get what Shanling was going for, and quickly give up are missing out IMHO.

I also like the UI, but that's a pretty personal thing. Some like it, some don't. My main complaint with it was that there was no separate button for Play/Pause. This caused me to accidentally REW/FFWD at times because I didn't press perfectly in the center. The M2 fixes this with an independent Play/Pause in the center of the control dial.

I also like the way the M3's GUI makes it easy to get to the features/settings. I hope the M2 retains this.

I don't like how M3's rather primitive handling of metadata/tags, but I'm a folder browse kinda guy so it doesn't seriously impact me. I can see it really bugging some people, though.

Can you hold off for a bit? I should have both M2 and N5 in my hands in the second half of October. But in general, I'm betting that M2 is going to give you a smoother sound while the N5 will give you a brighter, more energetic sound. Depends what you're after. N5 is more likely to make a stronger first impression, but like you discovered the Shanling gear isn't about first impressions. It's about long-term inpressions.

I'll stop rambling now :wink_face:

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #218 of 567
It's funny you mention the spending time with it part. I completely understand. It's not a DAP you immediately fall in love with. It takes a good long listen or two to acclimate. Those who plug in, don't get what Shanling was going for, and quickly give up are missing out IMHO.

I also like the UI, but that's a pretty personal thing. Some like it, some don't. My main complaint with it was that there was no separate button for Play/Pause. This caused me to accidentally REW/FFWD at times because I didn't press perfectly in the center. The M2 fixes this with an independent Play/Pause in the center of the control dial.

I also like the way the M3's GUI makes it easy to get to the features/settings. I hope the M2 retains this.

I don't like how M3's rather primitive handling of metadata/tags, but I'm a folder browse kinda guy so it doesn't seriously impact me. I can see it really bugging some people, though.

Can you hold off for a bit? I should have both M2 and N5 in my hands in the second half of October. But in general, I'm betting that M2 is going to give you a smoother sound while the N5 will give you a brighter, more energetic sound. Depends what you're after. N5 is more likely to make a stronger first impression, but like you discovered the Shanling gear isn't about first impressions. It's about long-term inpressions.

I'll stop rambling now :wink_face:

:beerchug:

Thanks for your input.
Will wait for your further impression/ comparison then. :p

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #220 of 567
BTW, is Teo in the LMUE shop? If so, tell him I say hi. Super nice guy to deal with!

+1
He is a really nice guy.
He is usually at the shop attending to customers and should be reading this when he has the time to come into this forum. :D

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #222 of 567
Listening to my M3 with the Aune B1 amp with Beyer T90 headphones and it is great. Very revealing without being clinical. This is truly awesome sound for the money invested and a highly recommended combo. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back