Shanling M2 DAP
Jul 7, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #901 of 1,348
In reference to the multi-ba driver earphones being an issue. It all boils down the the ohms.. for example, the Sony XBA-H line are 40 ohms and they dropped the XBA-A line line up to about 32 ohms.. so you wouldn't have the same issue. However, look at the Sony XBA-4's they are 8 ohms, with those you will get a brighter sound than normal. And anyone who has ever listened to them knows they have a dark sound signature to them. So sometimes it's not a terrible thing depending on your IEMs..

The M 2 sounds good with the Lz-a2 which is supposed to be multi ba

Jul 7, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #902 of 1,348
I just got M2 for few days and glad that i did purchase this excellent DAP :) the UI is so friendly and easy to use, on top of that the sound quality from this little boy is just fantastic.

So far I can connect M2 to my Android phone via an OTG cable easily, however to make it connected to my laptop as a DAC is currently unable. I had been using Fiio Q1 for a quite long time and has no problem whenever i connected to my laptop, but this is not the case for M2 :frowning2: My laptop could not connect to M2

I have installed the driver downloaded from website of Shanling but this could not help. I know this is a common questions but any idea to fix it guys ? I guess it was due to some problems with USB driver (code 10) and tried to google for several methods but can't help ....

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #903 of 1,348
I just got M2 for few days and glad that i did purchase this excellent DAP :) the UI is so friendly and easy to use, on top of that the sound quality from this little boy is just fantastic.

So far I can connect M2 to my Android phone via an OTG cable easily, however to make it connected to my laptop as a DAC is currently unable. I had been using Fiio Q1 for a quite long time and has no problem whenever i connected to my laptop, but this is not the case for M2 :frowning2: My laptop could not connect to M2

I have installed the driver downloaded from website of Shanling but this could not help. I know this is a common questions but any idea to fix it guys ? I guess it was due to some problems with USB driver (code 10) and tried to google for several methods but can't help ....

If you run into driver issues the FIIO threads have some helpful,posts for the installation of their older drivers that did not have a Microsoft signature. Those are pretty the same drivers as used by Shanling so the advice is helpful. Course you need the Shanling driver not the FIIO driver

Make sure you are in DAC mode not Usb mode in settings

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #904 of 1,348
I would appreciate a clarification

Did you own these and then returned them? What is your preferred unit right now?

No, I did not own one. I only tried out the M2 at lmue shop.
If I were in a situation where I have to order one to try, things may turn out different, since the unit would be in my possession longer (example, try different pairing or get a new matching iem, just finding ways to keep it) :D

For serious listening, I go for Hifiman HM650 Classic II Amp with MEEaudio P1 (excellent combo).
For day to day portability (casual, commute or jogging), I like using FAD IV with Alien (not the best pairing but just trying out different favour).
I seek musically more so than the ability to hear 'deeper bass', 'better this or that'. Definitely, not into anything that sound digital (I avoid analytical, bright, thin sound).

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #905 of 1,348
Sounds like the Shanling M5 me get be up your alley.. It still brings a smile that my face every time I turn it on.. Even when using cheap Philips SHE-3905's.. When using the Sony XBA-A2's, I'm at a loss for words.. They really are a fantastic pair up.. But that seems to be the going rate with almost all earphones with the M5..

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #906 of 1,348
Sounds like the Shanling M5 me get be up your alley.. It still brings a smile that my face every time I turn it on.. Even when using cheap Philips SHE-3905's.. When using the Sony XBA-A2's, I'm at a loss for words.. They really are a fantastic pair up.. But that seems to be the going rate with almost all earphones with the M5..

I owned the M3 and like the sound. I have no doubt the M5 will be better.

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #907 of 1,348
Hey puppyfi, if you can, would you compare the M2 and Shozy Alien for me? I have the Alien Gold as well (really good stuff), but the M2 would probably suit my RE-262 better than an amped Alien.. Laid back neutral sound with high output seems perfect for the warm and forward 150 ohm IEM. The Alien is a touch too warm for it but I love the sound signature of the DAP otherwise (texture/detail/soundstaging/etc). I'm expecting a smaller soundstage with the M2 (hopefully not by much) and a sound that is similarly smooth but lacks the sound body that the Alien possesses.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #908 of 1,348
Thank you very much for your reply, however I could not find the mentioned Fiio thread :frowning2: Could you kindly help me to get the right one please ?

Also as I read from their user manual, M2 works best as a DAP for Window 8&10. Anyone has the same issue with the connection to PC/Laptop as a DAC for M2 ?

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #909 of 1,348
Hey puppyfi, if you can, would you compare the M2 and Shozy Alien for me? I have the Alien Gold as well (really good stuff), but the M2 would probably suit my RE-262 better than an amped Alien.. Laid back neutral sound with high output seems perfect for the warm and forward 150 ohm IEM. The Alien is a touch too warm for it but I love the sound signature of the DAP otherwise (texture/detail/soundstaging/etc). I'm expecting a smaller soundstage with the M2 (hopefully not by much) and a sound that is similarly smooth but lacks the sound body that the Alien possesses.

I would compare them similar to Fiio X3ii (M2 in this case, clean, neutral, balance, extended sounding) and Fiio X3 Classic (Alien in this case, except, this is better, in natural, warm, engaging, smoother sounding).
I have not heard RE-262. But I would suggest go for M3 if you can. It is warmer, smoother, more powerful than M2 and I have no problem pairing it with my iems (fidue 83, dn2000, pinnacle P1, shozy zero, fad iv...). When comparing sound, I even rate M3 higher than alien. Again, ymmv....we all have different preferences.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #910 of 1,348
Man, that's the second recommendation for M3. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any FiiO DAPs or even their amps for that matter so I can't really go off of that comparison. Still reading through this thread taking in all the info I can lol.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #912 of 1,348
Man, that's the second recommendation for M3. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any FiiO DAPs or even their amps for that matter so I can't really go off of that comparison. Still reading through this thread taking in all the info I can lol.

Ok, let me 'help' you further .
M3 is Shanling's first DAP. It is a bit dated, heavier, bulkier, not so nice screen, not as good looking than M2
M2 has nicer form factor, lighter, better screen, better ui, added features like sleep mode. M2 should sell easier in the used market.
Lmue offers may end anytime soon........
Ok....go for M5 would be best :D

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #913 of 1,348
M5 is pushing my budget.. I would have to sell a couple things haha. Like I said earlier, another thing that worries me are that there are a couple reviews out there that claim the M3 to be a bit sibilant which worries me. Nothing about the M2 being peaky so that's good.

For those that are looking for a comparison to Xduoo X3, I owned it briefly and didn't really care for it if that's of any help. Mid bass bump, warm but a bit on the dry side, not much texture.. But the thing is like 100 bucks so there's that.

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #915 of 1,348
I waited to long too. Ya snooze ya lose. Think I'll just wait for a deal on the M5. Hopefully it will be back on Massdrop at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back