Shall i convert from a cowon j3 to iPod touch?
Mar 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Music fan 8888

100+ Head-Fier
Hey ppl, I am thinking of changing my cowon to an new iPod touch because of flexibility, use and playlist feature which I really like. The thing that is putting me off is that I have an iPad 2 and find the sound quality nowhere near as good as the cowon. Does anyone know if the touch sounds the same? And whether an iPod touch is really worth it for its sound quality?

Many thanks for your opinions.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I own both. J3 outperforms the touch4 sound wise imo. Touch4 sound a bit boring to me.

Use both on flat settings and there will be very little difference...
Add the Equalizer and Sonicmax Pro apps and the Touch is a match easily.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 6
ok but how do these apps work?  Do I have to move all my music library into them so that they can play and make playlists?  Or is ipod touch with LOD and Fiio e11 amp good enough to match the cowon?   thanks!  Really unsure what to do with my portable setup atm..

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 6
I was using an ipod touch with Equalizer app when I started out paired with E11 or E5 using an L9 - LOD it's not a bad combination until I shifted to an Rockboxed ipod nano 1G which sounded better overall, Then I bought my Clip+ and it seriously blows both away easily for fraction of the price. I can't speak for the ipad but I can say the touch is pretty average on SQ when there's better cheaper sources.

If you do use the Equalizer app, you don't have to shift your music over it has it's own library section just like the music player, I thought it was great for a while until I bought my beloved Clip+ I've had no problems pairing with amps using 0db on Rockbox volume settings.

IMO I wouldn't get a touch, take it from someone that has one and uses a Clip+ over a touch, ipod mini and nano's. Overall I find Apples DAP's highly overrated, not that have a problem with them, if they sounded better to me I would happily use one daily. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Depends...

I would say, if you really enjoy all the customization that is on the J3 (EQ and such) stick with that. For me, there is always something missing when I listen to an ipod after listening on a cowon. There is a lack of depth... but to each their own. All depends on how and what you want to use it for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back