Shall I buy a new PMP?
Dec 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

therock003

100+ Head-Fier
For the last 2-3 years i have been using an iPod 2g and iPhone 3gs as my portable audio playback device? Although they're pretty good consumer-level products, i actually wondering if i can do better?

I keep hearing of a HiFiMAN 801 as the best possible portable solution. Do you think it really is worth it? How does it differ quality-wise than commercial apple-sony-samsung products and whatnot?

Is it really worth it?

I was also into the latest gen of the ipod nano which is basically just a tiny touchscreen with the known album-art functionality.

What do you think i should do?

-Should I get the HiFiMan and benefit from what it has to offer?
-Should i get the snazzy last-gen ipod nano to replace my bulky ipod and iphone?
-Or should i just be and let be, and get nothing and save my money for something of greater value and importance?

What would be your preference?

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 6
Hifiman's players are stellar options as upgrades to your current ipods selection.  To give you an additional recommendation I would suggest taking a close look at Cowon's line of media players.  This Korean company has been renowned for producing stellar sounding players such as the current Cowon J3.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Hifiman's players are stellar options as upgrades to your current ipods selection.  To give you an additional recommendation I would suggest taking a close look at Cowon's line of media players.  This Korean company has been renowned for producing stellar sounding players such as the current Cowon J3.

x2 for Cowon J3 ! Mine blows my iPhone 3GS headphone-out away with the AMOLED screen and audio quality. The EQ is great too.

Just my 2 cents..

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Haven't used any of the HiFiMAN PMP's but I did just upgrade from an iPod 2g to an s:flo2, and I must say, my music sounds a lot better.  They have a different UI than most people are used to, but it's not that bad.  I was also looking at a Cowon J3 to purchase but they were too expensive for me.

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
x2 for Cowon J3 ! Mine blows my iPhone 3GS headphone-out away with the AMOLED screen and audio quality. The EQ is great too.

Just my 2 cents..

The screen doesn't really have anything to do with the headphone output :wink:

Cowon, however, is a safe bet if all you care about is the audio quality. They are generally unbeatable in the consumer market.

In terms of UI, they aren't quite as good as Apple's products, though. I do recommend a very new Cowon device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back