Shafted by false ebay :o(
Aug 16, 2004 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Apina

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to the headphone scene but I'm starting off with a set of AT W1000's
biggrin.gif
which I still haven't had time to listen to properly yet
frown.gif

Well I'm writing a little note about my recent stupidity and inexperience of auction sites.
I was stupid enough to believe a hoax email selling headphones, I fell for it hook, line and sinker, I guess the fraudster must have been seeing my money as the fat fish at the end of the line
frown.gif

I fell for his bull and I believed the false ebay email he sent me claiming my money was protected by ebay and I sent the money via western union to I assume a very happy person at the other side.
Weeks went by and no headphones turned up as well as no replies to my emails
plainface.gif
I then decided it was time to read ebays security section where I found out that they don't protect western union transfers
blink.gif

I lost a chunk of money because of this but at the same time it's taught me a valuable lesson, before sending any money make sure through every method possible that it is legitimate.

My new headphone hobby has not been a good start providing me with a painful kick in the nuts
blink.gif
but I filed my anti fraud report and life goes on!

Conclusion to this posting is: BEWARE when a deal sounds too good to be true it most likely is!!

Aug 16, 2004 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 17
Yeah, I guess now you know that anytime they want to take it off ebay, that's never a good sign. Unlike Huuto where we do deals away from Huuto all the time. But then there's the protection of COD.

I'm sorry it went so badly for you the first time around, but I can tell you that Audiocubes ships here to Finland customs free. Sometimes they don't put a value on the front package, which will attract the attention of customs, but the invoice inside will be a very low value.
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 17
I have learnt NEVER to use western union for any money transfer unless you are certain who is on the receiving end. I would NEVER use western union for any online purchases, that is becos western union cannot track who received payment (or something like that).

Aug 16, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 17
yep i was selling some stuff off on ebay and i got flooded with spam requests to end the auction early and they would pay thru western union, etc, but dont send it to them, send it to their customer in africa, etc - who do they think they're kidding?

Aug 16, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 17
sorry to hear that

my friend wanted this 400 dollar camera from ebay, he bidded but lost. Then he got an email claiming to be the seller saying that he would sell it to him, my friend really wanted it so he immediately sent it via western union. he waited and waited, nothing, so he emailed the seller from the auction, the seller had no clue to what he was talking about selling him a camera.

he later found out he sent money to a scammer in romania(the scammer had a story of how his father was dying too)

Aug 16, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Sorry to hear about your loss, sending a wire transfer thru Western Union for something won on Ebay is downright risky unless you are absolutely sure you know who will be on the receiving end. Of all the times I've sent money thru Western Union for items won on Ebay I've been lucky so far, but I didn't send money unless I got the recepient's mailing address (no P.O. box number) and the person's home phone number which I checked up on.

Aug 16, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 17
yea, whever i do it ebay i only buy from sellers with verified paypal accounts, 200 something trades and only had two really slow sellers, other tranactions were smooth

Aug 16, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 17
The only time someone asked me to wire them money was my brother.
I didn't even wire money to him. I said, no way, I'm going to fedex a check to you, take it or leave it.
I'm sure people do need to wire money in emergency circumstances but for business transactions, that's going too far. I'm sure I'm going to get flack for this because many cos. have their wire info available but for the average consumer not making million dollar deals or sales, why would one need to be wired money?
Sorry about your loss.

Aug 16, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
send it to their customer in africa, etc - who do they think they're kidding?

lol, scammers are preety stupid these days.

Aug 17, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the responses, I guess these scammers only need a few mugs like me and the money willl start to add up
blink.gif

I had the horse blinkers on when I read the scammers emails and for some stupid reason managed to miss some obvious little errors in all the mails which when I look back on makes me want to give myself a good "wake up this world ain't full of honest people" slap around the chops

Plainsong, thanks for the tip off where I can get headphones sent to finland without having to stress about if I'll receive them or not.

Well people learn from their mistakes and I certainly have on this issue!

Aug 17, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Check out this one

Might as well find out the buyer's address in Africa, and play a prank on that dude (like filling out the customs forms stating the value of the item is $10,000, and gouge that fraudster on import duties.)
evil_smiley.gif

Good idea it would be funny to shaft one of those scammers back
evil_smiley.gif

It seems alot of scams revolve around ebay and false offers that need paying via the western union payment method.

Why didn't I read up on these methods of payment before I sent my money out
mad.gif
Hopefully my money provides a new liver to his dad or whatever other excuse comes out if this internet fraud site can find out where my money went!!

Aug 17, 2004 at 11:54 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Sorry about your loss man. It's people like these that give ebay a bad rep. I wish more poeple would engage in honest trading and selling.

I've been happy with this site so far, picked up my w1000's from headfi, paid the money, got the headphones and that's the way it should be
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 17
The trick at Ebay is this:

Control your emotional desire for an item!

If you don't control your emotions, you are likely to lose money!

Right now, Ebay is way too big. So scam artists are all over the place. To avoid them, I try to shop at Ebay Shops with 99% or more in positive ratings!

Good luck in the future, Apina!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back